Meet My Car!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by ttktom, Dec 6, 2003.

1. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

lolz My dads Mew Ford Mondeo Estate will Get to 60 mph in 10.8 Secs and go on for a top speed of 119-121 Mph and it's only 115 BHP but has the TDCi Engine :)

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    what specs are important to you in your ideal automobile?

(not in order)

1. speed
    2. quickness
    3. all terrain capability
    4. safety
    5. fuel economy
    6. ergonomic
    7. cargo carry/payload capacity
    8. towing capacity
    9. price
    10. style
    11. handling
    12. durability
    13. electronic toys

How would u rank them?

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    12, 5, 4, 6, 7, 9, 11, .....others are not as important as long as it can reach 100mph in 30s. :)

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Sniff sniff

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Last Oldsmobile to roll off assembly line Thursday
    Associated Press

LANSING -- The last Oldsmobile is scheduled to roll off a Lansing assembly line this week, ending a vehicle line that began in the same city in 1897.

Thursday’s end has been anticipated since December 2000, when General Motors Corp. announced it would discontinue the brand.

“Generations of people in Lansing have been touched by Oldsmobile, either by making them in the plant or driving them down the road,” General Motors spokeswoman Kim Carpenter told the Lansing State Journal for an article Tuesday. “We want to give Oldsmobile the send-off it deserves.”

The last Oldsmobile will be an Alero, the only model still in production. General Motors has slowly phased out other Olds models in the past few years.

The final Alero will be stored in Lansing’s R.E. Olds Transportation Museum.

GM will mark the occasion with several events this week. On Wednesday, the automaker will unveil a commemorative Alero. The Final 500 Special Edition Aleros will bear special logos and certificates of authenticity.
    -----------------------

Hmmm, my beater is now officially a collector car, worth more than yesterday :) Oldsmobile is the second oldest nameplate, behind M. Benz.
    Hey, even the name oldsmobile sounded old :p

more on the story found here
    http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0404/29/c01-137267.htm

#84 cooler, Apr 29, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  5. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Sorry for the number plate.. :)

Attached Files:

6. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    not a bad looking car, now only if they would import it to the US

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

nice car ants. I havent seen this car before.
    Aiyah, look at the road, you should be driving an all-terrain vehicle :D

8. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    How many racquets can it hold? :D:D

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The compartment is big.. 1 big luggage 1 medium sized luggage and maybe can fit a raket bag.

10. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

lol Nice Hyundai Coupe Ants :D

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Nice coupe, Ants. Is it a 2.0 or 2.7 V6 model. auto or manual? Anyway, what is it's power to weight ratio?

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

13. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Quite a respectable power to weight ratio of 102 and 125 hp per 1,000kg, for the 2.0 and 2.7 V6, respectively. Would be better if it is 150hp per 1,000kg, and if the wheels and tyres are 15", to further reduce rotating unsprung weight. Then, you could take on my modified Peugeot 206 GTI.

14. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

I must Admit Hyundai sould win an award for the most improved car manufactorer as they are making some nice cars Take The Hyundai Coupe and The Hyundai Getz.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I believe that the JP auto makers don't fear american auto makers but rather fear KO auto makers. I would buy a Hyundai but they don't make the kind of automobile that i wanted. They do have one in the detroit auto show, repsonse was great but hyundai don't know where to build it.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hyundai Near Top of a Quality Ranking
    By DANNY HAKIM
    Published: April 29, 2004

DETROIT, April 28 - For the first time, new-car buyers ranked Hyundai, the South Korean automaker, higher in initial quality than any domestic or European manufacturer, according to a survey released on Wednesday by J. D. Power & Associates

The result was a coup for Hyundai, which has been trying hard to upgrade its image from cheap to classy, or at least respectable, and close the gap between it and Toyota Motor and Honda Motor.

"A decade ago, as Korean manufacturers struggled with a universally poor reputation for vehicle quality," said Joe Ivers, executive director of quality and customer satisfaction at J. D. Power, a research firm, "no one would have predicted they could not only keep the pace, but actually pass domestics and other imports in terms of initial quality."

As a company, Toyota ranked first, followed closely by Honda and Hyundai, tied for second.

There are caveats, however. Hyundai's Kia brand continues to be a subpar performer in the initial-quality rankings. And in J. D. Power's most recent study of long-term reliability, which many in the industry consider to be a more important barometer, the Hyundai brand ranks near the bottom of the industry and Kia is dead last.

Chris Hosford, a spokesman for Hyundai, said improvements in initial quality inevitably contribute to longer-term improvements.

"One leads the other," he said. "We really want people to see us as a great value automobile. Part of value is price. Part of value is getting a lot of features and equipment for what you spend. And part of it is definitely having a great quality car."

So what, exactly, is initial quality? In February and March, J. D. Power asked 51,000 buyers of new cars and trucks in the United States whether they had experienced any of 135 problems during the first three months after purchase.

The most common complaint was wind noise audible inside the car. Poor fuel economy was a top 10 complaint, but less so than in last year's survey, even though gasoline prices are higher now than in 2003.

"It suggests consumers are adjusting to higher fuel prices," said Brian Walters, J. D. Power's senior director of vehicle research.

The annual survey data is closely watched by the auto industry, though the differences between the best and worst automakers have narrowed in recent years.

"Because it's so darn close, I don't think it has the same importance it had 10 or 20 years ago," said Louise Goeser, vice president for quality at Ford Motor.

The range is much wider in long-term reliability, which affects how automobiles retain value. Still, the initial-quality report is an important reflection of how well new cars and trucks live up to customer expectations.

As a group, Japanese brands scored best in the latest survey, averaging 111 problems for each 100 vehicles. Korean brands were next, with 117; European brands had 122; and domestic brands 123. In 1998, the Korean brands were worst, with 272 problems for each 100 vehicles, and European brands best, with 156.

Problems declined 11 percent industrywide in the new survey from a year earlier.

Measured companywide, the Big Three all ranked slightly below the industry average, but there were big differences from brand to brand. The General Motors Hummer, though improved markedly from last year, was still the most problem-prone single nameplate, while the company's Cadillac brand was second only to Lexus from Toyota.

Hyundai's results did not include Kia. J. D. Power is considering changing that in the future.

Entirely new products often have teething trouble, and the effects were visible in the rankings. Both Porsche and Volkswagen declined; each company introduced its first sport utility vehicle last year. Porsche plunged from among the best to among the worst.

"This performance is due almost entirely to the Cayenne," the new Porsche S.U.V., said Mr. Walters of J. D. Power. By contrast, the Porsche 911 was the top-ranked premium sports car, and the company led the most recent long-term dependability survey.

Martin Peters, a spokesman for Porsche, said, "We are disappointed with the results for the Cayenne, but the majority of the problems were related to features and controls," rather than mechanical or structural defects. Nissan Motor also came in below the Big Three in initial quality, partly because it introduced its first large pickup, the Titan, and its first large S.U.V., the Armada. Even Toyota was dented by a debut: its new youth-oriented Scion brand landed near the bottom of the charts.

16. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    what car do you guys drive?

Today IS MY B-DAY!!!! (JULY 23 1987)

So i'm getting a 2004 honda civic LX BLue and TOO COOL (in gas mileage)

I was just wonderin what cars do you guys drive?? And maybe bring up the question....

"WHAT's the ultimate badminton CAR"

17. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Why, the "2004 honda civic LX BLue" of course ... :D

Satisfaction is enjoying what you own, not seeking what you don't have.

-dave

18. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

taneepak the Renault Megane 2.0L 16v 225 BHP could take on your Pug 206 GTI. And Most Defo Beat it.

19. Type 100

Type 100 Regular Member

My car's specification:

2005 Honda Jazz 1.3S twin-spark

Chassis code: GD1
    Engine size: 1334cc
    Max power : 82 BHP @ 5,600 RPM
    0-62 MPH: ~15 s
    Maximum Speed: ~100 MPH
    Maximum Torque: 142 Nm @ 2,800 RPM
    Cylinders: 4
    Valves: 8
    Curb Weight: 1050 kg

20. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i drive a beat up Daihatsu Charade Aura 1991 model. it is small, it does not run fast, it is old. but i love it to bits. because i bought it. it is mine. it is low and to me good looking enough. now when i finally finish paying for it, i can start saving for a set of new rims and cool recaro seat and a new paint. hahahahahah :D