Meet My Car!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by ttktom, Dec 6, 2003.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    1. RCMP/Regional Police here in greater Vancouver Drive all sorts of differnt FWD cars, some are even AWDs
    Chevrolet Impala (Marked)
    Wolkswagan Beetle (Marked/Unmarked)
    Honda Odyssey (Unmarked)
    Dodge Caravan (Unmarked)
    Chevrolet Venture (Unmarked)
    Pontiac Grand Am (Unmarked)
    Pontiac Montana (Unmarked)
    Subaru Impreza WRX (Unmarked)
    Ford F-150 (Marked) not sure if this is FWD or RWD tho...
    these are the ones I've seen or know

I know that most police vehicles around North America is still the Ford Crown Victoria, but it seems like that model is gettin to be pretty old and is gradually being phased out. I find the main replacement for them (at least around the area I live) are the Chevrolet Impalas

However, the engines in those police vehicles dont sound like normal engines the factories provide us commoners with. And I also believe they're either supercharged or turbocharged (or something!!) because when they drive by with high rev/high speeds they sound VERY different than the normal models (this was an impala I heard)

2. I'm not saying all, but most of the higher end models are almost exclusively AWD. Those that are RWD are either very much sportcars (muscle cars if it's american) which makes sense because the take off will be much faster if it were RWD compared to FWD

I've seen RWDs (crown vic) in action sliding around a 3-4 lane highway on a snowy day, it seems that they most immediately lose control when sliding occurs. They also tend to be stuck more easily...

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    the police around my area are most likely the Chevy Lumina (did I spell it right?:confused: ), which is a FWD.

Also, police around this area would "ride on" a 4wd, "brown thing", which has 1 horsepower :)
    (I guess you know what that is, right?:D )

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    there is snow here and cops drives rwd crown vic here.
    f150 is rwd or 4x4. There is NO fwd truck.
    true enough that the high end is going to AWD, why not, AWD is better than rwd which is better than fwd. You will see all car going to awd direction if the price point permits. I'm not saying rwd is better than 4x4 or awd, i'm saying rwd is better than fwd 90% of the time.

why u see fwd in vancouver?
    1. fwd is cheaper
    2. van have narrowers streets
    3. Ever since gm and chrysler halted production of caprice and plymouth fury, ford is making a killing on their crown vic, dont have to change its 20 year design except higher price tag every year. If automakers put out a newly designed rwd cop car, it will kick today fwd cop car's hindnie. Auto makers dont make enough rwd cars for cops to choose anymore, that is why cops have to resort to fwd, no choice. You will the new intrepid fwd cop cars soon, alot of them. Cops will love a bmw cop car but i doubt any city budget can afford them.
    4. not as many high speed chase, so cops dont need the stronger and faster cars.
    In US, there are special corvette and camaro cop cars FOR REAL CAR CHASES. It is becoming rarer nowsaday because we have helicoptors and night vision. A fwd econo box + helicoptor combo would sure beat 1 rwd corvette cop car dont u think?

#23 cooler, Feb 15, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2004
  4. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Sorry don't think this is correct, as I believe Chevy Lumina is a rebadged Holden Commodore (aussie car), and Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon are definitely RWD.

5. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I am sure Chevy Lumina is a FWD car, which part do you think it's not correct?

My family had one before, it is a FWD car.

For more information, you can check kbb.com and check out the 1997 Chevy Lumina model, and click on any millage and details, and here is what you get:

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS Sedan 4D
    Engine: V6 3.1 Liter
    Trans: Automatic
    Drive: Front Wheel Drive
    ......more

6. jump_smash

IT
    Sorry, my facts were off Commodore rebadged as Chevy Lumina in Middle East and South Africa.

Thought:

Commodore in race for US market
    By Joshua Dowling, Los Angeles
    The Sun-Herald
    Monday January 6 2003

The home-grown Holden Commodore could follow the Monaro to the US as part of the push by the car maker to become a major global force.
    Just hours after the Monaro was unveiled as a Pontiac GTO at the Los Angeles Motor Show, General Motors vice-chairman of product development Bob Lutz said the next generation Commodore range, due in 2006, could join the Monaro -- but only if it was built in the US.

He said General Motors was looking into the feasibility of duplicating the tools required to build the next Commodore -- and assembling various models, including the ute and the luxury Statesman, in America.

"The whole line of Holdens could be produced in the United States," Mr Lutz said.

"We are at an early stage of investigating working with Holden to let them engineer the successor to the current Holden rear-wheel-drive architecture and then work with us to ensure all US safety and all US requirements are taken into account."

Building the Commodore in America would allow General Motors to overcome the 25 percent tariff on imported vehicles.

7. jump_smash

IT
    Intresting article:

Falcon's slice of american pie

"Ford USA's big-selling sedan, the ageing Crown Victoria, is due for a major overhaul following controversy over its rear impact crash safety record and its outdated, truck-like underpinnings"

Will Aussie Falcon replace Crown Vic?

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

my 2nd car is a 1976 olds delta 88 royale, with 4 dr and 455 CI V8 (7.5L) and pillarless window. This is the last year of the olds rocket engines.

http://www.geocities.com/supremecpe/eightyeight/76.html

performance numbers are hard to find as no one really want to review these old beasts that have been stuffed with pollution control devices and short gear ratios.
    It's heavy, 3800-4000 lbs versus my lighter cutlass of 2800 lbs (incorrectly stated in my previous post). Actually the regency niney-eight is even heavier.

My best estimate of the 1976 olds rocket 455 CI makes 265 hp and 360 ft -lbs torque. This is well below its true potential if allowed to breath. Here are what a 1970 455 V8 makes, factory stock:
    A new-for-'70 O.A.I. (Outside Air Induction) system fed the W-30 455 engine with fresh air through a fiberglass hood and unique flapper-door air cleaner. The Rocket V8 below the O.A.I. hardware produces 370-horsepower and 500 lb.-ft. of axle-twisting torque. Brings a tear to your eye, doesn't it?

How the car drives? Here are some quotes i got from the net.

General comments?
    Did I love this car?

It cost me $1500 in 1989 with 60K on the engine.

I drove it for 100K and scrapped it for $500 under a California State buyback program for pre-1978 heavily polluting vehicles.

Damn, I loved that car. It was like driving your living-room couch down the freeway. It had some serious power under the hood too. Total respect driving that 20-year old jalopy round the hood.

Every-day was an adventure just driving that thing. Basically a reliable workhorse, but then-again, you just never knew what might go wrong with it. Always kept you on your toes. Drove a hard bargain, you might say.

Now I drive a 4-cylinder Toyota Camry with 100K trouble-free driving miles on it. Guess what? I'm totally miserable driving in this car, but that old Delta 88, now that was a car that had some serious personality!

C'est la vie! C'est la guerre!
    -----------------------
    General comments?
    Once the old 350 came out and the rebuilt 455 went in, there was no stopping this car. It's a 4000 pound car that can run 12.80's at 120. It has a 3.08 rear end in it too. It ignites the tires on command and will easily cook them for about four or five blocks.
    -------------------
    General comments?
    This was my first car. Thankfully I still own her and I certainly enjoy driving her. This car was sitting in a field when I first her, and I bought her for 150.00. I would not sell this car for 1,000,000 now. Once I got this car back to running condition, it has kept going. The engine has never been rebuilt and does not burn oil. It cruises down the road like you are riding on air. I am currently restoring my car. Mine is a 2 door and I have found a 4 door I am using for parts. All of my friends thought I was crazy when I bought this car at age 16, and now they think it is cool I have kept my muscle car and wish they had one. I enjoy driving this car more than my 30,000 mile conv. Z-28, everybody gets out of the way.
    --------------------------------
    General comments?
    Drive it like you stole it.

Car is big, but very well built strong as an ox.
    Seats are very comfy no complaint's from my friends.
    Get a lot of comments from others about keeping a classic on the road.
    Scares everyone out of my lane when I'm trucking on down the road.
    This older car puts the imports to shame off the line and in the long run.
    --------------------
    General comments?
    I snatched up this car after my dad passed away, for fear that one of the grandkids would beat on it and destroy what was left of it. It turns out there was a lot more left than I imagined. This car is 99% rust free, and still has a shiny original dog-dung brown paint. This spring, I plan on repainting it rally Red.

Most of the above problems only occurred after it had sat for 9 idle years. This car has enough power and torque to pull a castle of its foundation. I pulled my neighbor's '77 F-250 out of the ditch last spring, no joke!! It intimates and frightens the drivers of mere mortal Japanese imports as it looms in the rearview. At a dead stop, the engine is barely audible. But if floored, it lets out a ferocious roar (especially with it's new glasspacks) that can be heard for miles as it burns up its tires for a few blocks.

Terrible fuel economy (9 MPG city and 16 Highway, if I drive the speed limit). But what I waste on gas I save on repairs. This beast refuses to die. This is the perfect car for highway trips. Ice cold A/C. It rides like a magic carpet, the ugly tan seats are surprisingly comfy, and it seats 6 overweight adults with ease, or 8 if you really squish. There's room for 5 or 6 more in the trunk if you're in a pinch.

I wish America still knew how to build real full-size cars, not this Nissan-Toyota-Honda tin can garbage...

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

respect for old technology

for those who never heard a real free flowing Olds 350 and 455 V8, here are some examples, remember, these are still factory stock engines, with only some minor
    upgrade like spark plug wires, hoses, and mufflers, ie stuffs that wouldn't last since 1970. the chev, buick, plymouth, dodge have their beasts too. They all sound different to the right ears.

here is the 350 (5.7L), only 2 valves/cylinder

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/wpgm_5.htm
    http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/cvc_13.htm

here is daddy 1970 olds 455 (7.5 L), also 2 valves/cylinder.

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/wpgm_4.htm

here is the test drive on the 455 car. Note that the cameraman was prepared for 1st geat, the 2nd gear sure surprised him :p

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/FeatureCarsHome/Evans442/Evans442Ride.htm
    http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/FeatureCarsHome/Evans442/Evans442Burnout.htm

remember, these are all factory spec car for that year.
    Modfiication would increase more hp and torques but it would actually
    reduce its resale value. People want originals.

#30 cooler, Feb 15, 2004
  11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Re: respect for old technology

Geez, 1970 cars? I wasn't even alive yet.:eek:
    Cooler, are you from 70s? ;)

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Re: Re: respect for old technology

yeah i was around.;)

1970 is the peak musclecar year.
    if u can get one between 1965 to 1972, they are the prized ones.
    Also, there are some special models like the 1984-1986 (86 was the best) grand national. remember, these are cars one can buy from car dealers back then.

http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/SmokeyBurnouts/SmokeyBurnouts39.htm

that one was slightly modified with twin turbo, factory was just a single turbo.

#32 cooler, Feb 15, 2004
  13. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Re: Re: Re: respect for old technology

Nahh......I like new designs :) Don't feel right if my car is actually older than me :p
    Like this :p

Attached Files:

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#34 cooler, Feb 15, 2004
  15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

10-15 years, i was pricing them around 12-15k, now look at the recent sales

-----------------

1970 OLDSMOBILE 4-4-2 MODEL W-30 CONVERTIBLE
    THIS IS ONE RARE BIRD. A SUPER HARD-TO-FIND W-30 PERFORMANCE MACHINE OLDSMOBILE 4-4-2 CONVERTIBLE ISSUED BY "DR. OLDSMOBILE" JUST 168 TIMES IN CONVERTIBLE FORM ...FINISHED IN 'BURNISHED GOLD' WITH 'IVORY' STRATO BUCKET SEATS/ SOFT TOP AND WHITE Y-70 AND Y-73 STRIPES.... IT IS EQUIPPED WITH RED PLASTIC INNER FENDER LINERS, 'F" CAST HIGH-PERF.HEADS, A W-455 ALUMINUM MANIFOLD, MANUAL DISC BRAKES AND SPECIAL STRIPES. PLUS THE SPECIAL TUNED 455 CUBIC INCH V8/ 370+ H.P., WITH "M" (41) SERIES 3-SPD. HEAVY DUTY (CONSOLE MOUNTED) AUTOMATIC WITH HIS / HERS HURST SHIFTER, F-41 PERF. SUSPENSION, RALLY GAUGES, CLOCK & TACHOMETER, AM /FM / 8-TRACK STEREO PLAYER (WORKS), RAM AIR HOOD W/ FUNCTIONAL W-25 AIR INDUCTION AND CHROME LOCK-DOWN PINS, THE (T44) UNDER-DASH HOOD RELEASE, ELECTRIC TRUNK RELEASE, TINTED GLASS, DUAL SPORT MIRRORS (1) REMOTE, AUX. TRUNK MAT, LIGHTED REARVIEW MIRROR, FORMULA LEATHER WRAPPED 4-SPOKE STEERING WHEEL, FACTORY AIR CONDITIONING, THE (AK1) DELUXE SEAT BELTS, POWER SOFT TOP, DUAL EXHAUST W/ FUNNEL TIPS, SUPER RARE JL-2 POWER DISC BRAKES ( W-30'S WERE BUILT WITH MOSTLY MANUAL DISC BRAKES), SUPER STOCK II WHEELS, POWER VARIO- RATIO STEERING, AND A 3:23 POSITRACTION REAR W/ W-27 ALUMINUM REAR COVER. $58,950 SOLD
    1970 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS 4-4-2 HOLIDAY 'RAM AIR' CONVERTIBLE

BEAUTIFULLY RESTORED, FRAME-OFF OLDS 4-4-2 CONVERTIBLE EQUIPPED WITH THE BIG BLOCK 455 CUBIC INCH V8 / 365+H.P. WITH "E" HEADS... THIS WAS THE BIGGEST ENGINE EVER OFFERED BY OLDSMOBILE AND IT CARRIED AN AMAZING 500+ LBS. OF TORQUE ( CAR ALMOST GOES SIDEWAYS ON HARD ACCELERATION) PUSHED BY 10:05 TO 1 COMPRESSION ON A 296 DEGREE CAM ( THE W-31 WAS 308 DEGREES WITH ONLY 5 H.P. MORE). IT FEATURES THE SUPER RARE 4-SPEED (ONLY 3% OF OLDSMOBILE'S TOTAL PRODUCTION IN '70 HAD THE 4-SPEED GEARBOX : COMPUTING TO: 549* ). FINISHED IN IT'S ORIGINAL COLORS OF TWILIGHT BLUE WITH PEARL IVORY BUCKET SEATS / WHITE SOFT TOP/ BOOT AND OPTIONAL WHITE "Y-73" RALLY STRIPES. RARE ENOUGH, JUST BEING A 4-4-2 CONVERTIBLE ( ONLY 2933 MADE*), THIS CAR WAS RESTORED FOUR YEARS AGO, DRIVEN MINIMALLY AND IS FULLY EQUIPPED WITH THE OPTIONAL W-25 RAM AIR HOOD & AIR CLEANER WITH CORRECT LOCK DOWN PINS, INTAKE W/ 4V CARB, 4-SPEED HURST SHIFTER, CONSOLE, RALLY GAUGES, POWER DISC BRAKES, POWER STEERING AND POWER TOP, DELUXE SEAT BELTS, AM PUSH-BUTTON RADIO, FORMULA LEATHER WRAPPED SPORT STEERING WHEEL, RALLY WHEELS W / RAISED WHITE LETTER TIRES, POSITRACTION, CLOCK, HEAVY DUTY COOLING PACKAGE AND MORE. WE HAVE NOW COMPLETELY TUNED IT, SERVICED THE RADIATOR/ THERMOSTAT, INSTALLED A NEW FAN CLUTCH, DETAILED THE DASH, INSTALLED THE RADIO, GAVE IT A NEW WINDSHEILD (WIPER SCRATCH), RESTORED THE INNER DOOR HARDWARE, INSTALLED A NEW MATCHING TIRE & SPARE WHEEL AND ORDERED A NEW SPEAKER & 4 NEW WHEEL GLAMOUR RINGS. A REALLY GREAT, RARE CAR AT A SUPER BUY , ESPECIALLY UP AGAINST '70 CHEVELLE LS- 5'S SELLING FOR $57,000 -$59,500.... SOLD AND RE-SOLD FOR OUR CUSTOMER. LAST OFFER WAS $51,000 SOLD

1970 OLDSMOBILE 4-4-2 CUTLASS CONVERTIBLE W-30 CLONE
    TWILIGHT BLUE WITH IVORY BUCKET SEATS AND SOFT TOP. BEYOND LOADED WITH THE 455 CUBIC INCH V8, FOUR SPEED TRANSMISSION AND FACTORY AIR CONDITIONING ( ONE OF A HANDFUL BUILT) . BUT, BETTER YET, IT'S BEEN METICULOUSLY RESTORED TO W-30 SPECS INCLUDING A W-25 COWL INDUCTION HOOD WITH 'FLAPPER' AIR CLEANER, W-35 FACTORY REAR WING, RED PLASTIC INNER FENDER WELLS, AN ORIGINAL W-30 BLOCK WITH ALL ORIGINAL "F" HEADS, ALUMINUM INTAKE MANIFOLD, CORRECT EXHAUST MANIFOLDS, AND SPECIAL CAM. THE FACTORY W-30'S NEVER CAME WITH AIR CONDITIONING OR POWER BRAKES SO, THIS CAR WAS CUSTOM BUILT "TO THE NINES" FOR A DISCERNING INDIVIDUAL WHO WANTED WHAT THE FACTORY NEVER OFFERED. BUT, WHAT HE WANTED..." A HIGH PERFORMANCE OLDS 4-4-2 W-30 WITH FOUR SPEED AND AIR". LOADED W/ POWER STEERING, POWER DISC BRAKES, FORMULA STEERING WHEEL, CONSOLE , 4- SPEED TRANSMISSION, RALLY GAUGES, TINTED WINDOWS, TILT , FUNNEL EXHAUST TIPS, ORIGINAL AM/FM RADIO SYSTEM INCLUDING 8-TRACK PLAYER, 3:42 POSITRACTION W/ W-31 ALUMINUM DIFFERENTIAL COVER, POWER WINDOWS AND MORE. IT'S THE ULTIMATE CLONE. $52,000 FIRM. SOLD BY CUSTOM ACQUISISTION ORDER

i doubt acura can command these $$ return in 30 or so years

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

for your reference, a brand new loaded 1970 w-30 cost around 2.6k in 1970.
    Not 100% sure but that is the number i remember seeing at one time.

17. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    1970 cars......hmmm......

I bet they don't have CD players in them :p:p:p

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

buyers don't want them.
    these cars specially built without A/C, power windows, cruise control.
    definitely no japanese components in musclecars.

19. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I think we all know that most of us or I at least would want the DeLorean.;)

If you don't know what that is, it's the Back to the Future car I think. I just love how it's made out of STAINLESS STEEL....:cool:

Sure it's slow, but it probally gets more attention that your Acura's and 70's musclecars...:p

BTW, a more reasonable car that I have been longing for is the FD3S RX-7. So sexy and sleek!!:eek:

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

delorean isnt hard to get, asking price price 15-20k used.
    A new honda accord cost more than that. In 10 years, delorean prolly sell for same $. corvette's are even better, composite body. FYI, stainless steel do rust.