Peter Gade's trick shot against Gopi

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Steplantis, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Fourcas

Fourcas Regular Member

Student
    translate..,.sure.

i'll gladly do some translation on this site. danish is well like....my first language..... .

i' ll do it later this week when i have the time for it! At the same time i would like to ask kwun....

kwun, how about putting links to this site with my interpretation in the faq section or a basic stroke section?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Fourcas, sorry i completely missed your request. if you have material to contribute to the FAQ, i will love to review and post it up!

3. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

Wow what a shot. It must of taken years to learn it.

4. nSmash

nSmash Regular Member

Computer Engineer
    I don't think it took years to learn since at that level, players were born
    with amazing hand-eye coordination and spatial awareness to begin with.
    However, it probably took a long time to develop enough consistency to
    have confidence executing it at tense, crucial moments and know that it's
    still going to work.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and the confidence to bear the embarrassment if it didn't!

actually, i tried it the other day. during net drill. i did it out of a whim, didn't even practice for it. mine went over the net but not as tight as Gade's. to my surprise, the guy on the other side of the net managed to catch it.

then i realize that the shot isn't as deceptive as it is tricky. the fact that one has to go around the shuttle and wait till it drops down to waist level before one can hit it already gave away all intentions.

6. Rohly

Rohly Regular Member

i think the way Gade plays it is deceptive but i agree if you don't do it very well then it might not be so good.

7. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

This shot is not hard. As kwun mentioned, he did it out of the blue on a net drill and I did it at practice and during play several times. During play I managed to trick someone since he thought I had missed the bird some how and that was in doubles! It was pretty tight. Tight enough that the main choice he'd have would be to raise the bird again unless he wanted to risk making the bird roll over the tape.

Of course I would never do it in a tournament unless I mastered it and especially on match point. Peter Gade must have had lots of confidence during that rally. He managed to do that on a singles court and make it tight to the net as possible.

At practice I tried to do it in singles! It either went way too high and the person got it or it went out since it was too high. Didn't have the light touch.

Yodums

8. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I found that if you switch the grip towards a panhandle grip (but not all the way, about 45 degrees), it is much easier to do this shot. Usually when I try it, it goes too far and lands wide of the court.

Phil

9. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    it was my dad'd junior classes last session this weekend and as a final lesson the top class were given a lesson deception and trick shots. my dad has a lot of trick hots on film, and i brought this one along to show the kids. we didn't have many attending because it's easter hols and the last class so we had a full court between two. I found that Gade's shot is all about where you take the shuttle - he actually takes it very low down and as far to the right of the court as possible. This means he had to take the drop shot at the net while still moving past the shuttle in order to get the correct position to play the trick. the rest is just practice and co-ordination. we all tried it and began by simply learning to play the second part of the shot froma feed - not bothering with the fake drop - just playing the other part. this part is fairly easy when not moving in, like any other low taken net return. but as soon as you need to move to the shuttle from elsewhere on court it becomes difficult to get into the position since it takes nerve to play a very unnatural shot for most of us.

Neil

10. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

#30 Joel_y, May 15, 2003
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  11. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

haha, I never had that happened. If it hits your rear then that means you're going to be executing the shot from like the service line or something not as tight as you would if you were at the net.

12. modious

modious Regular Member

Joel_y: That "poor" fella who was on the receiving end of that shot was Pullela Gopichand from India. He was the Mens Singles Champion of the All England Cahmpionships in 2001.

13. Joel_y

Joel_y Regular Member

To: Yodums

You never get hit maybe because you did not use it against players much better and faster than you or you did not use it enough... Just kidding.

But in reality, I guess even you get very close to net, your rear might still be a target, because your opponent could brush the birdie at top of net from left to right if he is fast enough.

I have not being court ever since I watch it. Got to try it...even that means risk my rear....

To: modious

Thanks. Yes, I read it from beginning of this topic.
    I happened to run into this link by accident, then I wanted to share it with this board(thought it is new), then the board program directly brought my post here...that is why I was asking who is it.

Gobi was on his prime time in 2001 when he won the final in All_England against Chen Hong who was tortured by Roslin for an extra long semi final.
    My impression is Gobi himself is very crafty too.

#33 Joel_y, May 15, 2003
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  14. Jay1234

Jay1234 Regular Member

BADMINTON PLAYER... no not pro =(
    MAG said
    |I read in an interview that he's been working on that shot for years in training... This was the first time he used it in a big match -- a on a match point too, if I remember correctly...|

there would be soo much presure on you. Especially if u worked on that shot in training for along time, first debu, game point. Not to mention all the peps watching you.

:eek:

15. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Peter Gade's crazy shot!

Ok, I know this is old, but......
    For those people who haven't seen this should take a look at this short video.
    It's Peter Gade's crazy shot! :rolleyes:

http://bluejeff.homestead.com/files/finte201.wmv
    Please save it.......to your computer for saving the bandwidth purpose

Note: the bandwidth isn't much....:p

BTW, let me know what you guys think!

16. AMRaider

AMRaider Regular Member

Very impressive fake. I would have been totally fooled as well.

17. corey0528

corey0528 Regular Member

Student
    this shot was discussed before under a thread called " Peter Gade's trick shot against Gopi."

18. angelus_2012

angelus_2012 Regular Member

how to?

how do you do that Peter Gade's trick shot? i heard most of u all said 'tight netshot'
    but can you please explain further about how peter gade does that shot?

i can't download the video because the link is missing

19. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'm confused. *Looks at title of the thread* This is the thread you mentioned. Haha! I think if this comment is directed at bluejeff then I think what he is trying to say is .. it's faster yet saves bandwidth if you save it to your hard drive ;)

20. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Actually, Bluejeff posted his post under a new thread and either Kwun or Cheung just recently merged the two together.