What Music/Bands Do You Like?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by iluvthesun, Nov 5, 2003.

1. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Anime themes, some punk music; American Hi-fi, yellowcard, greenday, slipknot, linkin park, good charlotte among those I listen to.....

EDIT : I don't use a CD player, just my Palm Zire 71 with a 256 MB SD card in it :cool:

2. Eluder

Eluder Regular Member

student
    i mostly before important matches and trenings listen to Rammstein - Mutter and Raise Raise cds and Korn - Untouchables so after this brainwash all things go out and im fresh to play:)

3. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Yani and Kataro - I almost have every one of their CD's.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    disc 1 of 'les introuvables de Jacqueline Du Pre'. contains cello concertos by Elgar, Delius and Saint-Saens. Du Pre is one of the best celloist to have lived in recent years.

5. Ralph Pabelico

Ralph Pabelico Regular Member

Avril Lavigne and I like some rap such as 50 Cent's and Twista's style of music, softer rock such as Green Day, Gavin Degraw, Maroon 5 and Evanescence, pop such as Jesse McCartney and Ryan Cabrera, R&B such as Usher and Mario

6. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    A jazz lover here. More into instrumental than vocal, more old skool (bebop to bossa nova) than smooth (Kenny G is NOT jazz). My favorite jazz pianists are Thelonius Monk and Dave Brubeck. Also fan of Miles Davis and Coleman Hawkins. Classical chamber music from Maurice Ravel and his contemporary Claude de Bussy. Chopin and some heavies by Beethoven. Currently checking out Ahmad Jamal. Some infectious pops are guilty pleasures for me (not gonna name names though:eek:).

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Currently, Reneè Olstead.
    A class act at sixteen.

8. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Haha.. i'm still in my teens.. i get a bit of rnb going on in the house.. don't mind a little bit of 'pop'.. haha! BoboTheBadder! Pachelbel! I listen to Cannon too! but Cannon in D.. not sure if there's a difference but yeah..! haha.. yes.. i'm ashamed to admit that i listen to classical stuff when i sleep.. makes me fall sleep.. kinda 'soothing' in a sense.. haha.. :eek: vbmenu_register("postmenu_133672", true);

9. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    well, im still a teenager , but i kinda like stevie wonder (gotta love him!), lionel richie, and some of whitney houston's classics, but i also like sumthin like kelly clarkson, jesse mccartney (only beautiful soul tho), and will young, r n b is fine, but not my first choice[​IMG], dont like britney

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Now Cypress Hill and Goldie Lookin Chain with some Kid Rock thrown in for good measure :)

11. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Some stuff I like

Hammerfall, Metallica, 3 Doors Down, Avril Lavinge, The Offspring, bad Religion, Anti-Flag, green day, dire straits, .....

and tons more

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Went a bit Enigma-tic of late:

Age of Loneliness*
    Almost Full Moon*
    Back To The Rivers of Belief*
    Beyond The Invisible
    Callas Went Away*
    Endless Quest
    Gravity Of Love*
    Knocking On Forbidden Doors
    Mea Culpa*
    From The Deep
    Prism Of Life
    Return To Innocence*
    Sadeness Part 1*
    Shadow In Silence
    Smell Of Desire
    Dreams of the Dolphin
    The Eyes Of Truth
    The Piano*
    The Prince Of Lust

* Faves

Age of Loneliness and Mea Culpa sounds somewhat similar...

Went Chinese a bit with Ah Mei this morning after hearing the old hit of hers "Can I Hold You, My Love?", on, of all stations, Light & Easy. Was singing along to "Kiss Goodbye" by Jackie Cheung some 10 minutes later. That awful cover by Michael Learns To Rock must be outlawed immediately to preserve the sanity of listeners, esp me.

Apart from that, Simon de Cruz has good taste in music! ;)

我和妳å»åˆ«~~~~~~~
    (We kissed goodbye~~~~)

13. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Dang, had this song playing in my head again and again and again and again and again after listening to it for the 50th time maybe and I am still not bored of it.

For some reason, the first time since I heard it on the radio at 6:40 am on the way to the office, it had stuck in my head ever since. Found the *cough* MP3 *cough* and had been listening to it like a fanatic for the past few days.

What's the name?

'One More Time' by Kenny G featuring Chante Moore.

I'm no fan of Kenny's and neither had I heard of Chante until of late. A search through Amazon showed that she had been singing for a while, just under the radar of sorts.

The smooth and sultry vocals of Ms Moore on that bittersweet song reminds me of the movie "Before Sunrise" starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy when they were just 23 of age then. Saw the movie on a lazy evening with nothing to watch on the telly, ending up loving it! It was... some 10 years ago I think.

Ethan's character was making the long journey back from Madrid after the girlfriend dumped him, forlorn and heartbroken on the train alone to Austria to catch the flight back to the States.

On board, he met a Frenchwoman (Delpy) whom was also on her way back home, to France if I'm not mistaken. They spoke to one another over something interesting. He managed to persuade her to stay with him for one evening in Austria before he flies home.

During the course of day & evening you get to see the beautiful sights of Austria and its olden day glories as they walked around the place, trying food, checking out new CDs in the shop, meeting interesting people on the way, joined in some street festivities of sorts. Lovely mini-travel documentary if I might say so.

But the charm in the movie is in the witty dialogue between the two, their chemistry just perfect. The scene where they both made imaginary calls on their cellphones to imaginary friends in the restaurant, telling those 'friends' about the interesting lady/guy they met in Austria etc. She has her European ideals, while he has his American view on world matters but both put out valid points of arguments.

The best thing about it is that it looked so natural. You can imagine that in real life it looks that way too, especially when you've just met that guy or lass who caught your attention. The element of boldness and shyness are mixed to perfection, unlike the pretention that we get to see on the silver screen nowadays.

One scene to illustrate that is their visit to the CD shop, both sampling the tunes on sale. Each stealing glances at one another as they bobbed their head, only ocassionally noticing that the other was looking. That element of shyness without the out of this world "I saw love at first sight" thing sort of makes you think back of the times when you just noticed that certain girl sitting across the room, whom you glanced in secret, only to smile to yourself, embarassed when she notices.

Oh, the other good thing is how clean the movie is compared to today's standards. No ***, no kissing (until the end) and very little physical contact; you don't touch anybody you just knew for a day, most especially a stranger you met on the train but yet, you feel that attraction in them through the way they hesitate before saying something, those embarassed giggles.

The inevitable goodbye was bittersweet. You will be wondering how much they would have wondered if the situation had been different eg. he's not in a hurry back or have they known each other longer before that evening - would things had been different?

<--Cue "One More Time" Here-->

Alas, we won't get to know as she departed (I think, it's been yonks) on the train, a simple goodbye kiss before that. The element of regret is so strong that you feel sorry for their separation, yet you know they have had a wonderful one evening more than any some of us would ever experience in a lifetime.

Still, no melodramatics of the guy running to catch the train and shouting "I Love You!!!!!" and they lived happily ever after in Europe; just a pang of bittersweetness as they ask themselves the 'if' questions over and over again.

The movie ends with the morning sun (hence "Sunrise") rising over the horizon, bathing its rays over the places where the both of them had visited during the night, no longer there. Empty, as if it was just a dream and nothing more but you know it happened.

Dang, I sounded like Siskel & Ebert. ;)

Mind you, I watched this movie at 17 and not many 17-year old boys could appreciate such movies, so it must be really good then!

The power of music in a movie.
    Try both movie and song.

Movie : Before Sunrise (1995) Ethan Hawke, Julie Delpy
    Song : "One More Time" - Kenny G feat. Julie Delpy

Man, I've been ranting again :mad:

#53 wilfredlgf, Apr 27, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2005
  14. Davie

Davie Regular Member

Student
    Oasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssis :D :D :D

Big fan since 1994/5. Stuck with them :eek:

15. m_poppema

m_poppema Regular Member

In random order:

3 Doors Down
    Racoon
    Athlete
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Coldplay
    Eels
    Live
    Bush
    Elisa

And much more..

16. Stijn

Stijn Regular Member

Student
    Mostly Jump & Trance, but also Linkin Park.

17. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    i listen to almost all music types. back in College when the Pinoy alternative rock scene was in high gear i was glued to my Walkman (tape player :eek: ) whenever I don't have a class.

Aerosmith
    Eagles
    Metallica
    Pantera
    GnR
    Live
    Nirvana
    Nine Inch Nails
    Radiohead
    RHCP
    Jewel
    Corrs :)
    Cristopher Cross
    Usher

local Pinoy bands, Wolfgang (featured in the Final Fantasy movie soundtrack), Razorback, Asin, etc
    J-Pop (!) (this was when I was in Japan), Mai Kuraki, Utada Hikaru, Yamasaki Masayoshi

i think the only genre I don't have is tribal...

18. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

oh my, same here, basically. haha.
    theres also some indie rock here and there.
    there also has been some ambient music (brian eno stuff), since i had a lot of papers to write in the last few weeks of school.

i guess some specific artists to mention are frank sinatra, diana krall, bond, franz ferdinand, jazztronik, gershwin, etc. the list goes on....

19. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

Music?

Just out of curiosity, what kind of music do you listen to? just wanna know what the majority of BC listens to. :p

20. qqsu_azure

qqsu_azure Regular Member

Software Developer
    To me, it's very varied. For now, some passional ones which make me smash unstoppably are from WOW soundtracks.:D