Serve: forehand vs backhand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    I find back hand serve fast and harder to receive than forehand. It can surprise your oponent.

2. Lao Liu

Lao Liu Regular Member

There is an advantage using backhand serve in doubles. If you measure the distance between the position you hit the shuttle and the net in bachand and forehand serves, you can draw your own conclusion on what I am talking about ;) .

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Exactly, the key here is the shorter time the receiver has to reach a backhand serve. You can visualize this better if you were to perform 2 backhand services, one from the front service line and the other from 2 feet behind the front service line. The longer serve will get you into more strife. Therefore a backhand serve is at least a good 6" shorter in distance than a forehand serve, both serving from the front service line.

4. Ay33

Ay33 Regular Member

Student
    I use the backhand serve most of the time. It has proven consistency over the years that i've played and I find it easier to get the shuttle tight to the tape. It feels kind of awkward using the forehand, and also it's hard to get leverage, therefore i make myself prone to being smashed at.

5. speedy shuttle

speedy shuttle Regular Member

full time badminton freak - somtimes webdesign
    In doubles I use almost strictly backhand, I feel that I keep the bird lower over the net and it is less likely to be drivin hard back at me or my partner. I use almost strictly a forehand serve in singles because it is much easier to get it nice and deep the backcourt with a forehand, also it is easier to hit a little slice serve to fool my opp once in a while:D

6. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Well, I am confused!

More and more top players use short backhand serves all the time, like in the olympics. In singles!!

I´ve always thought that a long high forehand serve was the best serve in singles, but obviously the finalists in the olympics thinks otherwise?

Explain please! :crying:

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

depends on the standard of the players.

A low serve in singles is more aggressive. You try to make you opponent play his first shot from below net height. Hopefully to make him lift it. The person serving short has to be quick enough to get to tight net replies, or fast pushes to the rear-court. You'll notice that the ladies don't use the low serve as much as the men in singles.

A high serve is more neutral, if you get it deep enough. You don't have to defend so close to the net, but you have to worry about smashes, drops, and attacking clears.
    If it is not deep enough, you are immediately on the defensive.

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    In most instances I would say follow what top pros do in terms of technique / tactics. However in the case of the low serve for singles it does not follow that just because it is used by the top players it should be used by county/club players.

Few club singles players have a genuinely dangerous attack, either in terms of power/accuracy or deception if the high serve is falling on the back line. What is more few of these players will be able to sustain a good level of return from this position for three ends of singles.

In modern top level mens singles however most players will happily jump smash/drop/clear from the high serve for three ends gaining many quick points and few errors, this was not true 15 years ago and that is why you see so many players serving low now, I think the move to the low serve was hastened by the season in which all games were played to 7 points.

Further considerations for pros may be the drift, something few club players have to contend with, clearly a high serve is more vulnerable to drift.

So I would suggest you have both serves in your game, choosing which suits you/your opponent best.

9. Neil Nicholls

Thanks, dlp
    that's pretty much what I meant by "depends on the standard of the players" but I couldn't think how to say it.

I hadn't considered 5x7 or the effect of drift though.

10. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    Thanks for your answers. I´ve tried short backhand serve myself, in singles, but I often find it difficult to reach a high and long return from the opponent. Perhaps the position should be slightly further back when serving backhand in singles as compared to backhand in doubles?

And ofcourse the serve has to be perfect, to avoid a quick attack.

Just as you say, I can clearly se that the short backhand serve actually IS aggressive in singles and not the easy way out...

11. Neil Nicholls

oh yes, definately, stand a bit further back for the singles low serve than the doubles low serve.
    I stand in about the same area as for my mixed serve. About 3 feet back.
    Not like top players mixed serve which is still quite close to the service line.
    I can't cover the back if I start out that far forward.

the singles low serve doesn't have to be as tight as the doubles low serve.
    If the receiver edges forward to try to kill it, then you do a flick serve instead of a low serve.
    If the receiver is too fast for you, then go back to the high serve.

12. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    It looks so easy on TV! I´ve recorded the goldmatch and I studied it yesterday. The serves looks so easy, not difficult to attack. But not even once any of the players did an attack on the serve nor did they do any long serve.

As always... the better the player the easier it looks! My games must look very complicated. :D

I love badminton! :)

13. SmashMaster

SmashMaster Regular Member

UofC student
    well i almost always serve backhand just because it is as powerful if not more than my forehand the reason being cause i can hug the tape and get it in or lift it just so it lands on the back line i hardly serve forehand in a game just simply because i don't like to but if im just rallying with somebody then i do it.

14. matt!

matt! New Member

hi! i find the backhand the better serve because, its more controlled and harder for your opponent to return! B)

15. holyspacemonkey

holyspacemonkey Regular Member

i generally use backhand in doubles and forehand in singles because in doubles you tend to do short serves and singles, the opposite and i an get more power on my forehand and more control on backhand

16. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Singles and Doubles

For singles I always use forehead becuase sometimes I can fool some less skilled players. They sometimes can't tell are you going to serve short or long. For doubles, I always use backhead becuase your partner can sometimes get your mistakes so it's like an insurance.