Serve: forehand vs backhand

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Mag, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

bit of a blast from the past, but...

Cheung, how did it go?

2. peyter

peyter Regular Member

Lecturer
    Locked wrist

Good point on NOT using the wrist.

I have been a really wristy player...no wonder my flick serves goes all the way out.

3. graphite

graphite Regular Member

Student
    When I play singles, I usually use my forehand serve since I get a better high serve with it but when I play doubles or mixed, I use the backhand serve since I have a better short serve with my backhand plus it takes less time for the shuttle to travel over the net to the opponents court than with the forhand. My deception on serves kind of sucks so there isn't much different with the two serves. :)

4. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Re: Flick serve

Wasn't it called a "dink smash" in the past.

5. gerry

gerry Regular Member

Re: Re: Serve: forehand vs backhand

I served like this for a long time but now do the opposite to the above, I now only use my wrist while serving backhand, no arm movement at all, so instead of pushing I'm actually tapping the shuttle, my low serve is rarely attacked but my flick serve is undetectable even when I've served to international players.

6. Maradona

Maradona Regular Member

I used to use a lot of wrist, but I found that flicking with the wrist caused my forearm muscles to tense prior to hitting the flick -- effectively giving away what Im doing. Using the locked wrist and mostly forearm motion, when I want to flick serve I simply at the last possible second flick my wrist -- I find this a lot more deceptive because it looks so much like my regular short serve. Also, its the same for serving out wide on either service side, at the last possible second I change the racquet angle slightly.

Am I doing something fundamentally wrong with the wrist only flick that is giving it away?

7. sharkboy

sharkboy Regular Member

student
    in singles I always serve forearm, with this you can get a long serve, and when they're not paying attention you can sneak in a little short serve for a point or two, usually I would push it very far back on the serves, and then a little one.

for doubles it's the other way around, backhand, and afterwards when they are not expecting it do a backhand serve with a little more power to push them back a little

i;m happy with my serves

good day!
    :)

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

tried this out on Friday (in a match !). Practised it during the warm up and it worked well so I used it throughout the match.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sorry ! , LOL, I forgot. However, I did meet one person who did serve like this (from UK). It was very interesting, because the shuttle would somehow shoot off the racquet much faster than I was expecting. Coupled with him being lefthanded, I had to readjust quite a bit. Thans for bringing up the topic again.

Will try to remember to experiment with this one again but difficult since I'm playing more singles.

10. fhchiang

fhchiang Regular Member

let's put it in a simple way..

backhand server(mostly low serves)

is more to attacking serve...

while forehand is more like a defensive serve...

both got advantage and disadvantage

11. krnkpboy

krnkpboy Regular Member

Student
    recently
    my friend got dis one serve
    forehand
    he slices the hell outa the bird
    he just wacks it and looks like its gonna be the really high serve to the bak but its a short serve dat lands on the line
    problem is he gets lyk 1 over every 5 serves

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In doubles I serve always backhands, the reason is deception more than anything else, when I start a game I try to hit just inside the T-junction with a low serve so the opponent thinks I have a good consistent service. Then I push them wide with a slice on the outside tram line and short service line, because they then change position to get to the two alternatives I introduce a flick which is very deceptive. If I need to bring them back to the front after using the flick one too many times I serve short, bearing in mind that there are very high odds that they will hit it back because they went for all the serves that hit the lines earlier on in the game.

The aim is that I use my serve as a tool of movement and also to give me the psychological edge knowing that I can make people go where I want (hopefully, but it doesn't always work out as I intend).

As for singles I have started to alternate between the usual high forehand serve and the short backhand, the short backhand usualy results in a net reply so more of a chance for an easy knock off. I only use a forehand deceptive short serve once or twice per game because I know my opponent will not expect it because I have made the concious change to a backhand serve for a short one and they think the forehand will result in a high serve.

13. shuttlejunkie

shuttlejunkie Regular Member

I always serve backhand in mens doubles and in mixed. A bit of a debate though at my club as to whether to serve fore or backhand in mixed (as the shuttle generally has a bit further to travel). I tend to have my lady partner standing on the same side of the court as me when I'm serving so from the right hand side, serving forehand would be a bit awkward (as I wouldn't be serving "round" her).

I almost always serve high and forehand in singles.

Another tip for serving backhand: try and hold the shuttle as far as you can comfortably in front of you. It gives the shuttle less far to travel and encourages you to be on your toes

14. Brave_Turtle

Brave_Turtle Regular Member

Student
    In double I always serve back hand. In single I discovered tha back hand serve was very effecive especially against good smashers.

I'm usually fast enough to recover a clear or a drop shot so it's about 70% back hand serve and 30% forehand serve in signle.

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I wonder how far can one exploit this technique of aiming for the shortest serve in doubles? Being tall helps, as the shuttle has a shorter distance to travel. Can you stand on your toes and lean as far forward as you can, without losing your balance, to serve? Perfecting the shortest doubles serve and an effective flick serve can be a lethal combination.

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I know several players who stand high on their toes for a backhand serve. I prefer to stand more comfortably and balanced, since it allows me to deliver a more consistent serve under pressure and to be ready for the reply.

17. lalanthier

lalanthier Regular Member

Student
    Singles is forehand, end of story. Simply because I can't replicate the height of the singles deep serve with a backhand serve. And for me forehand is far easier.

Doubles/Mixed: 2 types of backhand, 2 forehands.

I know it might sound strange, but I do treat them as different serves because I hold the bird differently each way. I enjoy the mix up because I've taught myself to be able to serve deep, drive it, short, cross court with almost all of the five serves. It's just good deception, and when I change my serve, I change the pace of the game. It's sometimes refreshing.

Backhand, in front of me: this serve is strictly short. I have not learned to do a long serve with this shot yet, but it's the standard shot that everyone is taught basically. Below the waste, in front of you as high as possible without violating the rules. This shot is strictly with the wrist because of deseption because drawing the arm back is both illegal, and often tiems inaccurate.

Backhand a little to the side. This shot I do use my arm, because this one is my favoured drive serve, but it still has a good angle to generate a good cross court. I usually start off using this serve.

Forehand: I hold it the same way I would in singles. This usually lands as a deep and high serve. However, I do send a short serve with this as well. The only thing I do not like about serving short with this serve is because you need the arm, you must swing slower to get a shorter serve - and that's a giveaway.

Forehand mid court. I lean a good bit back for this serve, and hold the bird slightly lower, and slightly more in front. This one is another drive serve. However, I do this serve differently in that I do a swing, and the last minute I slice it to create a quick shot that dies rapidly. This can replicate the long serve as well. And this is good for a short serve.

I'm not sure how many players pay attention to the serving givaways. I often stare at the player and their hand to see what hte shot will be. 7/10 times I'm right. When it's a backhand, and they plan to serve deep they usually jerk a bit, or draw back their hand slightly. Likewise, to know which corner their aiming to you stare at their eyes - most players realize its a giveaway so they usually end up serving somewhere else. however, you look just in case. When they plan to fake their shot, it often becomes obvious in the body movement. The body is usually more tense when the player is trying to serve to a different place other than where they are looking.

There's a lot of art to the serve. It's amazing how many variations one can find.

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Er, since when is drawing the arm back illegal on service? :confused:

19. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I think serving by forehand in singles has advantages on either serving short or long with the same pose.
    Serving by backhand in doubles is very common, but I am not good at backhand serves, so I usually use forehand-short serves in doubles. I seldom use backhand serves though because I think there is a greater chance of making mistakes. (I don't have that neat of movements)

20. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I was watching videos of Thomas cup final, the 2nd game, mens double, China vs. Denmark, JR/Lars vs. Cai/Fu last night :)

Chinese team was arguing with JR's serves during the game, where JR likes to place the racquet in front of the shuttle before serve, and then, go around the shuttle and serve. But judges said it's find, and eventually chinese team just stop arguing.

I think it's tricky and on border line.....but should be OK since it's continuous and one stroke anyway. (also within the rules of hand and waist)
    So, backhand serves really have lots of problems with regulations. We all have seen pros have accidentally violated the hand/waist rules before :) One must be careful with doing backhand serves.