How important is Deception ?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by dnewguy, Sep 21, 2018.

1. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

I’m not what you’d call an advanced player, more of a beginner. Took me one short 5 mins practice to get it. Same for two of my partners at my club. Like he said in the video, it’s a simple shot. What creates the illusion is the movement of the racket after you actually hit the birdie. So you just hit the birdie normally like you would for returning a serve by crossing for example and then create the illusion by raising the racket the other way. Don’t try to do any slicing or effects while hitting the birdie. It’s easy : ) give it a shot it’s really a nice one.

Cheung likes this.
  2. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Thank you so much.

"Double motion deception" does it mean same action for different strokes ?
    Eg: if I pretend a jump smash but instead do a straight drop short of service line ?

I have been thinking of avoiding the hold and hit shots altogether because it messes up my timing which leads to more errors/mishits.
    For egs: if I have time to do a forehand net drop but I try and lure the opponent in to push it to his straight backhand corner. Then 50% of the time either I will push it out of the side/back court line, or into the net or mishits with the frame.
    Same happens with overhead shots.

Furthermore, I realised recently that it works better with people who I regularly train with. But the new players I face during tournaments who have never seen me play don't rush for my "Net Drop Act" so it kind of defeats the purpose.
    May be if I play the game straight and plain first and then introduce these tactics later on then I will have a better chance to pull it off and score few easy points ?

3. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

A double motion deception is where where you perform two very separate motions. For example, you receive serve, you then fake a lift by moving your racquet upwards towards the shuttle but purposely miss it, then you wait for it to drop and play a net shot from near waist height instead. Your opponent moves back for the lift and is left stranded for the net shot.

Another more common example is when someone blocks a smash to the net, you run forward with your racquet held high and fake a drive/kill, then you stop your racquet and execute a tight net shot instead. This one is more often played with a hold though rather than 2 separate motion, because there’s not a huge amount gained with a separate motion.

If you are under pressure to play a deception, then either practise more or realise that you might not have enough time to play a deceptive shot. The number 1 way to play against a deceptive player is to deprive them of time. Either they won’t have enough time to use a deception, or they try and lose quality because there’s not enough time to fully execute the stroke(s).

Regarding beginners...that’s exactly it. You need to play 10-15 points showing a full range of basic strokes before you can deceive the opponent. If your opponent doesn’t know you can play a tight net shot and you try to deceive with a flicked lift then all he sees is you taking an awfully long time to play a bad quality lift!

dnewguy likes this.
  4. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Thanks for the trickshot video.
    I have tried this intuitively before watching this video but then because of less effectiveness and high error rate I refrained. I believe not looking towards the shuttle is also an important aspect of this trick.
    So it didn't appear that beneficial to me then.

As a matter of fact the only trickshot that I really wanted to learn was Lin Dan's behind the back which he plays near his knees because I felt it can help me cover my weak backhand clear. But to this date I can may be perform a not so smooth/efficient 1 out of 10 of those. (This also made it clear how much time and effort it takes to learn a new shot so I thought of focussing more on my major basic skills and gameplay rather than pursuing a unicorn :p)

Can you upload a video of how well you can perform this (the one you use) particular trickshot ?

Cheers.

5. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

The problem with the LD trick shot is you end up in an awkward position for recovery and you pretty much have to be deciding against a line call I.e catching your opponent unaware with a high vertically dropping shuttle.

A better general stroke that will cover that eventuality plus any clears played much lower is a standard backhand with good technique. Here’s Taufik Hidayat playing a cross court backhand clear from near knee height. He is admittedly known as the master of backhands, but even if you got a stroke reliable enough to play the straight and cross drop, you’re much better off than the LD trick shot. And if you can do a straight clear, you’ve practically reset the rally.

6. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Thanks.

T.H backhand is marvelous. The reason I was so interested in L.D's version was because it "seems" I can generate enough power and drive the shuttle to the back tram lines. Whereas backhand clear feels so unsteady and injury prone.
    I can do a reliable backhand straight/crosscourt drop but my regular opponents know those shots and they swiftly come forward for the kill + in doubles it's suicide. Whereas in the tournament I have almost always scored with a crosscourt drop which leaves the opponent/spectators kinda dumbfounded. :D

For now my cheat to a backhand clear is " frisbee throwing action" which generates ample amount of power to as you aptly said - Reset the rally, But no offensive value.

#26 dnewguy, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  7. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Very wise words.
    I have identified that I am misled mostly when I play a crosscourt drop from the back and then rush forward. I will have to may be avoid doing it when my opponent is himself comfortable in his base position.

Thank you for explaining the double action deception. A friend of mine uses it very often but never once fooled me so I never really thought of using it myself + looks like a lot of unnecessary activity cluttering the main stroke.
    I have seen LD and LCW do it quite a few times to weaker/younger players but the opponent never even flinched which kinda reinforced my feeling for that.

Cheers.

8. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    As far as to understand fully about the theory and application techniques involved in executing double motion is concern, I can search my article titled " The Art of Badminton Deception : Double Motion" here.

To hriefly explained here about your question in regards about this deception then as some of us already answered it then yes, double motion deception involves 2 separate hits to execute it, the first hit we called the false hit and the 2nd is the true hit. Further deep explanation about this then I would advice you to search/google my article title.

I just want to emphasize that there is one flaw that can make any deceptive moves looks not deceiving is that the player iin his effort to try very hard to make sure that he can execute his deception well, he forget to create first the required "scenario ' in order to place the act of that deception to look more deceiving. You must create the scenario first so that your opponent will respond to that respective type of hit that you're doing in his moves to reply to it, then you execute the deceptive hit that you're already prepared to change your hitting direction.

dnewguy and Cheung like this.
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

In other words, you have to have the time to be able to sell your fake move (and your opponent has to buy it completely) in order for deception to work.

It also won't work with beginners and lazy players because they don't tend to anticipate for shots. And on the other end of the spectrum, it won't work on advanced players if they already have good experience with such deceptions, so they'll just readjust their anticipation and split step. These are the 2 times when you can't sell and your opponents don't buy your fake.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#29 visor, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    shooting stroke and Cheung like this.
  10. shooting stroke

Indeed and well said. Your opponent won't "buy" in into your deceptive moves unless if you don't properly prepare how to "sell" it correctly at the first place.

11. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Thank you.

So you are saying that first I will have to create a scenario with some urgency for my opponent like when he is out of position and late for his next shot but I have enough time to do my fake hit followed by true hit ?

But if I have enough time to kill the rally with a basic shot like a smash/drop then I should take that instead.

Cheers.

12. shooting stroke

The scenario

You made a straight forehand smash and your opponent replied with a straight reply to the net in which you then replied with a straight forehand net play where your opponent moves to reply your net play

After a few series of hits sequences with the above similar scenario then

- Hold and hit deception

While you positioned your racket head in your similar preparation to make that forehand straight net play, delay your hit and while observing your opponent movements towards the net and as he makes his swing to make his reply for your forehand net play .....you then push the birdie to the baseline leaving him stranded in the frontcourt.

- double motion deception

While you positioned your racket head in your similar preparation to make that forehand straight net play, make a swing with the similar swinging technique as like you're going to do a hit to do that forehand straight net play but instead NO hit occurred (false hit)) and while observing your opponent reaction after your first hit, you then executed your second racket swing (true hit) and make a hit to place your birdie strategically beyond your opponent position.

dnewguy likes this.
  13. shooting stroke

14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Lots of good comments by everyone so far. A few from me:

I believe deception is an essential component of badminton. I teach it to every student from day 1.

Deception has many different meanings in badminton:
    1. Preparation - Exactly the same racket AND BODY preparation for every shot
    2. Predictability - Braking patterns of predictability that catch opponent off guard (aided by the fact all shots look the same due to good preparation) - being unpredictable is key!
    3. Slicing - slicing the shuttle so that it travels in a different direction to the direction of the racket. Used for both deceptive (e.g. reverse forehand slice) and non-deceptive (e.g. brushed netkill) purposes. Required for some trickshots.
    4. Hold and hit - Performing delayed action strokes (i.e. holding the shuttle) - aided by the fact all shots look the same due to good preparation. Punch clears fall into this category.
    5. Stop drops - I don't know what other category they fall into. Its a specific shot that looks like a smash and becomes a drop shot.
    6. Double action - what most people think of as deception, and includes many "trickshots". Often aided by slicing the shuttle as well. The idea is you fake one shot and then play another (aided by the fact all shots look the same due to good preparation)
    7. Using the body - using the body to sway in such a way that it deceives the opponent e.g. looking one way and hitting the other
    8. Triple action - generally the most complicated trickshots e.g. Peter Gade's straight backhand lift (involves faking a lift, faking a cross court net shot, then playing a straight lift)
    In my opinion, every player should learn deception. But for me, they should probably be learnt in the above order. So everyone should get their preparation better e.g. if you are going to play a clear, do you rush backwards with the same intensity as you would with a smash, then play a clear? Do all your net shots (straight net, cross net, straight push, straight drive, straight lift, cross push, cross drive, cross lift) look the same as you approach the shuttle?

If that preparation isn't right, I would suggest it should be the priority in terms of deception. Once thats going pretty well, then make sure you play with good variety (which keeps your opponent guessing and will likely have them going for shots they think you will play, but you actually just execute a different shot). Then you start learning to really slice the shuttle with accuracy, learning to hold and hit, stop drops etc... once you can start doing those pretty well, then consider the double actions, the swaying of the body, and eventually the triple actions. They really require a good base of preparation before you get much real use from them.

Good luck y'all!

buibui2, llrr, dnewguy and 2 others like this.
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

Good ones from Matt.

And the main reason for why deception is important? To play while consuming the least energy for yourself while forcing your opponent to expend more energy. This becomes more important as you get older like some of us who have played for a few decades...

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

buibui2, dnewguy and Rob3rt like this.
  16. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Exactly. So much energy conserved whilst making life difficult for everyone else!

17. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

A great thread so far, but this if IMO the most important aspect of being deceptive. You can see so many players in our "mortal" levels who are more or less telegraphing a lot of their shots clearly during the shot preparation.

So for me, playing deceptive means first of all that you cannot tell which shot is going to be hit until you can actually see the shuttle leaving the racket. More advanced but still useable in real matches are some hold and flick shots. Everything that involves double/triple actions to me are trickshots that are very hard to implement into a normal game, especially in competitive situations.

#37 s_mair, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    buibui2 and llrr like this.
  18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

There‘s only one triple action I can do, but it‘s so much fun. Against weaker players it‘s an outright winner and against competitive players you get an advantage. It‘s a deceptive punch clear. First you open up you shoulders and indicate a power smash, then you visibly slow down so your opponent expects a drop/stop drop, suddenly you use your fingers/wrist to play a punch clear. One thing that has to be noted is that these types of deceptions only work against players that can/try to anticipate shots, not against beginners that don‘t read the smash or stop drop in the first place. They would just see the clear in that case. ;)

LenaicM likes this.
  19. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

To achieve this in itself becomes so tiring. Because you have to reach behind/over the shuttle everytime so explosive speed and agility is required.
    I tried it earlier and although it is a good practice/nature to develop but during a stretched out tournament I get more drained working that extra for every shot. So now I have changed my goal to first achieve perfect strokes (basic) and consistency so that even if i point to the area of my next shot there shouldn't be much that the opponent can do.

Cheers.

#39 dnewguy, Sep 29, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    buibui2 likes this.
  20. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

I can understand what you mean.

This becomes very evident when I play with younger opponents who are a level or two below me. Time slows down for me and i can see the opponent move - select my shot and the location and win the point without breaking a sweat and then repeat. All this while saying to myself," if only he can calm down, look up, analyse and play a decent defensive shot to reset the rally."

And I try to do the same thing when im under pressure against a better opponent and succeed half way before going back to making unforced errors which includes half cooked deception and trickshots.
    I find it really hard to kick this habit. In the heat of the rally irrespective of the scorecard I just have to play that crosscourt drop or a dribbling net shot.
    If I'm lucky then my opponent is still a couple of points short of a deuce.

Cheers.

visor likes this.