finger power revisited.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, May 2, 2002.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Mag, control for this method really comes with practice. i am still trying to master it myself. but so far, i don't find any lack of precision and control with this method. but in fact, i have found that my power has increase, and also agility.

i love the image attachment feature too. i think it is perfect for us when we need to illustrate things like strokes and also for pictures of players, etc. i am looking into adding an extension so we can upload multiple images in one reply. not having too much luck on that yet.

Aventus likes this.
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    thanks for the photos kwun. I think these are first photos that i saw on the internet showing the mechanism of the grip. Most other site writes about it or show a guy wrapping around the handle, not what's inside. By learning to grip properly, a beginner can progress to intermediate level almost overnight. People talks about wrist power but the above photos demonstate the proper power transfer mechanism. You don't hurt or tire your wrist if this mechanism is followed. My previous instructor held his grip so loosely that i can see lights from the ceiling lamp shining through his grip (I was sitting down watching his warmup at that time)

Aventus likes this.
  3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks cooler. yes. holding the racket loose and relaxed is really the key. and in fact, the most difficult part of the technique, IMHO.

4. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    thanks kwun, I tried this out and it works great!! i need to practice more and get used to it. :)

clean up your room!!! :D :p

5. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    Great job on the photos, Kwun. I learned the same grip and have been experimenting also. Another thing you can do is tighten yr grip with middle finger just before making contact with the shuttle (this mught be what you are referring to as the handle moving closer to middle finger), it transfers more power.
    Or, use the same stroke and keep your grip loose. You can swing very fast and still drop the shuttle just over the net. Looks like a smash; very deceptive.

Aventus likes this.
  6. stccmc

stccmc Regular Member

Engineering
    Kwun,

Great photos. I understand the arm, wrist, fingers should be relaxed before impact, but should I tighten my grip at the impact using this method?

I have been using the thumb/index fingering and I tighten with my ring and pink fingers to bring the extra rackt head speed "AT" impact.

Great forum.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. you should tighten them to assert enough strength, but the racket is still in motion and loose, thus you shouldn't be gripping it so tight that it will inhibit the movement.

Aventus likes this.
  8. Quantum

Quantum Regular Member

This technique is causing alot of chaffing in my hand and it seems like the racket is going to fly out! Perhap I'm doing it wrong...

9. stccmc

stccmc Regular Member

Engineering
    Kwun,

You said:

"yes. you should __tighten__ them to assert enough strength, but the racket is still in motion and __loose__, thus you shouldn't be gripping it so tight that it will inhibit the movement."

How do I __tighten__ my fingers and at the same time keep the racket __loose__?

Now that you have your video camera, can you film your fingering action and share?

Thanks.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    stccmc,

i have been trying to master this technique for the past few months. it is a delicate and fine motion. a video camera won't be able to capture it. and even if i am talking to you person to person, i don't think i will be able to explain too well.

my suggestion is to go onto the court and experiment for yourself.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    stccmc,
    nothing ventured, nothing gained

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Kwun,

a couple of questions

1) about which point does the racquet handle pivot
    2) from your description, the racquet handle would initally nestle in the 'v' between thumb and forefinger and afterwards be between the thumbe and forefinger (though not in the 'v'). Is that correct?

13. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    I found this method is very powerful when playing clear and smash from the middle or the back court.

I normally hold my racquet in the middle of the grip, but if I use this method, I have to hold the racquet at the bottom of the grip because I have to stable the racquet using my palm like what shown on kwun's picture.

I am not sure if I am doing it right or not. If I hold the racquet using this method, the position of the V shape on the grip is different than when I hold my racquet in the middle of the grip.

Aventus likes this.
  14. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    I tried out the "pinky" method today. It works great for me. I get more power easier, and smashes are harder.

Phil

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1) around the point where the flare at the bottom of the handle meets the straight part of the handle. i say "around" as the grip is loose and the pivot isn't neccessarily fixed.

2) depends. for overhead shots, you can start from the V. but for drives, i tend to start it from resting on the first section of my index finger.

i was practicing this again on Thursday. i think the benefit of this grip on the forehand drives is even more than for overhead. try it. you will find that you drives are much faster and powerful, even when the contact point is far away from your body.

Aventus likes this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Kwun, from the first picture you put up I would have thought the same. however, the subsequent pictures look more the pivot point is on the racquet handle above the third finger.

17. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

Never really heard of this type of grip. I tend to hold the racquet further up the grip, not all the way dowing the handle like kwun's pictures. Can you still do this sort of grip in the middle of the grip? I'll be sure to try it out and report my findings, but as a top county doubles player i find it alot more easier to play holding it in the middle, even at the top where the handle and shaft meet.

I'll report any findings, i'll suggest it to my coach Stephen Bish.
    Matt

I've just remembed something, i'm probably way off line but when kwun said about this grip being powerful a reason come to mind. Place your hand on the table, flat on the table. Now lift your thumb up, then put it back down, lift your index finger up, and then back down. Lift your middle finger up, and then back down. Now try to raise your fourth finger (next to the little finger). You'll find it's almost impossible. If you raise your little inger, you'll notice that there is a tendency that the forth finger rises with it. This is because the little finger and the fourth finger are attached by the same bone and tendon. I feel this is where the power comes from and the fact it's a tight grip occurs, because the fourth finger and little finger are attached.

Probably way off, but i thought it may be a valid point? :confused:

Matt

#37 Matt Ross, May 13, 2002
    Last edited: May 13, 2002
    Aventus likes this.
  18. Nic

Nic Regular Member

BCBF Member
    For whatever reason, I can raise my forth finger and my picky separately though.
    Do I have problem or am I sick? :eek:

19. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Ahhhh! A freak of nature! :D

I think most folks have their fourth/pinky "connected" but you do get folks who aren't.

I am trying the "pinky" grip but find it tiring as I don't think my pinky was used to that kind of workout yet.:D

20. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Grip

Hi,

Here is a picture of a truely great doubles player, Indonesian Candra. Here you can clearly see where he holds his racquet. He holds it RIGHT at the end. I hold it a little lower than this, but surely i would have thought mine and his grip would produce the most power?? Am i wrong?

Attached Files: