finger power revisited.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, May 2, 2002.

1. sanehouse

sanehouse Regular Member

Self Employed
    Aventus and ainchekar like this.
  2. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I'm no authority can only give my experience. I personally think this finger tightening is for panhandle shots.

If you look at lots of photos of pros just before they smash they hold it in their palms not fingers

If you hold the basic grip in the fingers, as suggested on this thread, then tighten the grip. it flicks the racket perpendicular to the way you would pronate. In other words it doesn't flick the racket towards the shuttle.

Now do the same with panhandle and you'll see it flicks racket towards what would be the shuttle.

I got caught up in this method and in my experience encouraged me to panhandle. I wouldn't use this method for rear court smashes but good for quick fire net kills.

Grip tightening for smashes is more subtle and uses the hand not just the fingers

Aventus likes this.
  3. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Having read the whole thread I get the idea. basically you just grip it normally with emphasis on the lower palm and fingers to create extra leverage, tightening on impact. Think the original photos at the beginning of the thread is misleading as it shows the racket resting solely in the fingers and some of the subsequent posters thought this aswell.

Aventus likes this.
  4. sanehouse

sanehouse Regular Member

Self Employed
    i do not agree that its meant for panhandle rather than basic grip.
    i have been training with this method since i switch from panhandle grip to basic grip 6 months ago.
    i would say its more like snapping of the handle upon contact and as you get more used to it, the snapping action will get smaller, ie more focus of power upon contact.

Aventus and Rackethead like this.
  5. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

Depends exactly what your doing sane. Does the racket move in your hand create an extra kick, in otherwords can you hit the shuttle just by using the tightening of your grip. This was what i was doing for over a year and it meant starting the stroke with basic and finishing with panhandle. Its incorrect.

I would say basic grip with a v, not loose, but relaxed with a tightening (or slight pausing, braking) on impact is whats need to create lots of power on smashes and clears, concentrating on timing, with lots of practice.

Aventus likes this.
  6. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

of course its just my experience and goes against what most people on here are saying which im sure many are more experienced than me.

7. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I've found since relaxing my grip and using finger power I've been able to remove the grip (1.8mm) on my racket(s) and replace it with an overgrips (0.6mm). What felt like a natural and correct size grip before started to feel a little large and unwieldy.

8. NeverWalkAlone

NeverWalkAlone Regular Member

i've been training my finger muscles for two month. now, i'm playing using standard grip. it used to feel sore withouth overgrips, but now i felt nothing. tap smashes and net kills improved after doing the exercise.

i recommend to not tightening the grips. it just restric the racket movement and grip changings.

Aventus likes this.
  9. Dragonistear

Dragonistear Regular Member

So since i see Kwun liking a thread on here, i assume it means that he agrees that this grip works for normal forehandgrip and for the pronation technique?

K, i shall try this out and see how much better it is.

10. Jonathan Adithya

Jonathan Adithya New Member

so in the pinky grip, the index don't have to attach to the grip??

11. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

This is new to me too but I think it's just resting on it and you don't use it to put much pressure on the grip. At least I think.

This makes sense though. I remember when reading martial artists/weightlifters talking about grip strength they would say that you shouldn't be using your index finger when you really need to grip hard. Apparently the way the hand is designed you actually end up with a weaker grip by using your index finger. I wonder if this relates to this badminton topic.

Aventus likes this.
  12. Jonathan Adithya

Jonathan Adithya New Member