Yonex-Sunrise Hong Kong Open 2017

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Master, Nov 19, 2017.

1. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

lol i rest my case then

2. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

and no has won several match against aka, sun yu too

3. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

mm is still prettier :D;)

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan in spite of G2 turnaround, might still lose the decider.

In G1, I was about to say, Sing, Sang , Sunk for Lin Dan, held back for a while, luckily, otherwise I might've to eat back my words. Now G3 may just make me bold enough to do that, hope not.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan may have depleted half of his energy in G2, I 'm afraid.

Nowadays, any player with the speed and fitness has an outside or realistic chance of beating Lin Dan, esp when he's not focused on badminton.

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

So far G3 seems to be following the scoreline of G1 with LD doing the chasing

7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Wang Tzu Wei besting Jonatan Christie may be a sign of things to come in the near future

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Brice Leverdev continued to surprise us, stopping Chou Tien Chen (again?) is remarkable, nothing to be sneered at.

I believe CTC will anytime soon be surpassed by his fellow teammate WTW

badders7 likes this.
  9. antssantss

antssantss Regular Member

Retired
    Can anyone help? Suddenly I can't access the Videostream.dn,ua site. It directs me to its home site and won't allow me to see anything at all.

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

UPSET DETECTED

Supannyu Avihingsanon lost to lowly rated Lin Dan 24-22 11-21 18-21. More details on what caused upset soon. Stay tuned.

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Looks to me that VA and KS, despite being in their prime, are adopting the strategy of skipping not-so-important tournaments if they think they are in less than ideal conditions, physically or mentally or both, esp when their main rivals are in the fray. I'd have thought this is something 'older men' are more justified in doing.

Cunning Linguist and stanleyfm like this.
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Thats a super difficult draw for KamuraSonoda. can they survive the first hurdle?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

What, who is this Lin Dan who upset Suppanyu ? Where's he from, how old is he, what's his playing style, etc ?:eek::(

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I puzzled why the 18-year-old CHN junior, Li Wenmei, is still switching from WS to WD and vice from tournament to tournament. Hasn't her coaches made up their minds what to specialize on for her ? A very rare thing for a CHN junior player to be doing that, unprecedented.

15. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

They are the defending champions so that should give them some extra motivation

16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Gosh! You don't know him? I have followed him since his junior year, he scored a bronze medal alongside a short Malaysia player, Lee something. He is a left handed player but he is wild and furious in attacking. I hope he can win a major title soon, and adopt a control-stroke play.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan will be tested again tomorrow, either by Kanta Tsuneyama who is young, fit and fast or by Angus Ng, the more experienced and skillful of the two. Incidentally, Angus Ng Kah Long had beaten Lin Dan once before, in 2015 iirc, and i think he has a slightly better chance than Kanta of doing so tomorrow. But, otoh, Kanta with his speed and power, may do a JC on LD whose form is dubious. We'll see.

18. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

The chance of that happening is quite low. The issue with unlikely events such as this (or Mads/Mads meeting BoMo in quarters all the time) is that we tend to focus on the unlikely event that is happening and forget about all the possible unlikely events that could happen but do not.

The probability that we get Marin vs. MM in the first round three times in a row is very low. But the probability that some unseeded player meets the same seeded player in the first round is much higher. You can even add "at some point during the year" to make it even more likely.

You can also say: The probability that this event happens is very low. But the probability the no very unlikely event happens throughout the season is even lower.

I will give you an example. There might be holes in my calculations due to dependencies I have overlooked (my probability skills are getting rusty). The example should still give you an idea of what I mean.

Question: How likely is it that MM faces CM three times in a row in R1?? (Assuming rankings are unchanged of course).

Probability that MM faces CM in Hong Kong in R1 = 1/24. There are 24 unseeded players that can face CM in R1.
    Probability that MM does not face CM in Hong Kong in R1 = 1 - 1/24 = 23/24.
    Look at the entire season and pick any 3 of the 13 tournaments (SS + WC), for example, events 2, 5 and 8. Probability that MM faces CM in those three and not the other 10 = 23/24 * 1/24 * 23/24 * 23/24 * 1/24 * 23/24 * 23/24 * 1/24 * 23/24 * 23/24* 23/24 * 23/24 * 23/24 = (1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10.
    In how many ways can be pick 3 consecutive tournaments out of 13? = 11
    Probability that "MM faces CM in those three and not the other 10".. happens for one of those 11 sets of consecutive tournaments = 11 * [(1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10].
    Probability that she does not = 1 - 11 * [(1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10].

Extend to all players:
    Probability that none of the 24 unseeded players meets CM in R1 in three consecutive tournaments = (1 - 11 * [(1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10]) ^24.
    Probability that none of the 24 unseeded players meets the same seeded player in R1 in three consecutive tournaments = [(1 - 11 * [(1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10]) ^24] ^8.
    Probability that it does not happen in any of the five categories = ([(1 - 11 * [(1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10]) ^24] ^8) ^5.

Probability that at least one unseeded player/pair meets the same seeded player/pair exactly three times in a row in the 13 SS/WC in a season = 1 - ([(1 - 11 * [(1/24)^3 * (23/24)^10]) ^24] ^8) ^5

= 39.3 %.

This is the probability that it happens exactly three times in a row. The same probabilities for more times are:
    4: 1.95 %
    5: 0.07 %
    6+: < 0.00%

If you replace "exactly three times in a row" with "at least three times in a row", the probability is 41,3 %.

These probabilities are most likely not 100% correct. I think there are some (small) dependencies I have overlooked when I extended to all players as they fight for the same 32 spots. But the general picture should be the same. I might try similar calculations for the Mads/Mads vs. BoMo phenomenon if I get the time.

#158 Hassefar60, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Nah, never heard of him, he only upset a certain Suppanyu, if he had shocked someone like that 'shortie' MAS Lee something the last couple of years, I might've have taken notice of him earlier.:p:D:)

CIA-99 likes this.
  20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

All I know is that...He is an extremely sloppy, not even that talented shuttler. He loses in the 1st round of every tournament but don't know how he managed to beat Supannyu.