Which cab to get???

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by K3vin, Mar 9, 2006.

1. forrestyung

forrestyung Regular Member

Salesman
    I used Cab 20, Cab 20 power, Cab 21, Cab 25, Cab 30 before.

My preference is Cab 20 > Cab 30 > Cab 20 power > Cab 21 > Cab 25. Cab 20 is an easy racket, even I am not in the best condition, Cab 20 still provides provide good power and control. When you are too tired, you will find control a Cab 30 and Cab 20 power is not an easy task.

2. blinan8088

blinan8088 Regular Member

IT Programmer
    Hi red00ecstrat and forrestyung,

There are so many types of Cab20. May I know which one you are currently using? So far, I see blue Cab20 (old color I think), orange Cab20, and the latest is red/black Cab20 which is the same with the new Cab21.

Thanks. :)

3. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i m using three cab 20 in blue (lavender) color. i believe most of the members here call it cab 20 original. i also own a few of them as back up, two cab 20cn with old logo and two cab 20jp in both old and new color scheme.
    as i know, forrest has a pretty big collection of cab 20 original. so, i m gonna let him talk to u!

#23 red00ecstrat, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Which cab to get???

Hi K3vin,

Below is my advise to players buying new rackets.

When you consider buying a racket, you should ask yourself this important question:- “Does it feel good in my hand?”. By this, I mean some of these questions;
    1. When you lift up the racket with your racket hand, is the weight of the whole racket too light or too heavy for you?
    2. When you hold the racket handle, is the size of the handle too small or too big for you? Note: The same racket comes with different handle sizes.
    3. When you swing the racket, do you prefer the racket head to have a lighter or a heavier feel?
    4. When you swing the racket, do you prefer the shaft of the racket to have a flexible or stiffer feel?

Again, when you consider stringing your racket, you should ask yourself this important question:- “Does it feel good in my hand?” Of course, you have to try many of your friends' rackets, strung at various tensions, to determine at what tension it feels good in your hand.

Did you know that the higher the tension, the more vibrations your hand will feel when the strings hit the shuttle. So, some of the questions are;
    1. When you do a hard hitting shot, do you want little or more vibrations to be felt by your hand?
    2. Similarly, when you do a touch or delicate shot, do you require more vibrations to be felt by your hand?

Different players have different preferences. How you want to feel is most important.

When you do a power or hard hitting shot, such as a smash or a baseline-to-baseline clear, you do a full swing to execute the stroke. Do you know that when you do the full swing, the racket shaft is bent. As you swing, the racket head is no longer on top of the handle of the racket. The racket head, because it has some weight, is behind where it is normally is.

When you say certain rackets have certain power, do not be fooled as to how you feel as compared as to the actual speed of the shuttle. Only a speed camera can really detect the true speed(power) of the shuttle.

Back to the important point:- How you prefer to feel when you play different strokes is most important.

Also remember this:-The power generated in your stroke comes from your transfer of body weight, speed of you swing, timing of your swing, explosive power generated by your wrist at the moment of impact, etc...

Do not depend only on the racket to do the work.

5. blinan8088

IT Programmer
    Hi red00ecstrat, thanks for the reply. Yes, I like the lavender blue color. However, I think it is impossible to get it new now. Have you ever played with the orange Cab20? Do you think they feel the same?

I am thinking about getting Cab20, but there is only this orange Cab20. It has a very nice color scheme, I must say, but I am not sure about the quality. And unfortunately I have no chance to try it before I buy. People in my badminton group are fond of new tech, absolutely not the Cab series. :D

Thanks in advance.

6. red00ecstrat

not really, it's still available in hk blinan8088. but rising was the price since the introduction of the new color scheme.

i used to have 2 new color (orange) cab 20jp and got one strung. but i found that orange cab 20jp was definately stiffer than the old one. after all. i sold one of them.
    my friend had an orange cab 20sp. he also claimed that it's stiffer than the original. just like what i had done. he sold it!

too bad, u haven't got a chance to play with the old one so far. i hope u will have in the future.
    u know, the cab 20 original is like a kinda all-round racket. it's good to start with as well as using as a reference racket! but as for the new color..........i would say "it doesn't seems to be my cup of tea!"

7. forrestyung

Salesman
    I currently have following Cab 20:

a) Cab 20 HK (old logo with Navy colour and sponsor racket to HK Team in 80's)
    b) Cab 20 CN (old logo with Lavender colour)
    c) Cab 20 SP (old logo with Lavender colour)
    d) Cab 20 SP (old logo with Navy colour)
    e) Cab 20 SP (old logo with Orange colour)
    f) Cab 20 SPY (old logo with Maroon colour)
    g) Cab 20 MA (old logo with Maroon colour and should be sponsor racket to MA Team)
    h) Cab 20 JP (new logo with new colour scheme)
    i) Cab 20 Power (old logo version and same as Cab 22)

I never play (d) since it is just for collection, (f) and (i) are broken, now only can support low tension for fun. For the rest of rackets, I will comment as follows:
    (a) and (h) are quite similar and their shaft is more stiff than the rests.
    (b) and (g) are quite similar with the stiffness and solid feel.
    (c) and (e) are purchased at the same time with the same batch of product, but (c) is more flex than (e)

For stiffness, I will rate as follows: (stiff - flex)
    (i) > (h) > (a) > (b) > (g) > (e) > (c), (f) is broken before I tested seriously.

But my person preference will be:
    (b) and (g) > (c) > (h) > (e) > (a) > (i)

Other than stiffness, you can feel every Cab 20 has a little bit difference, as per Cooler's previous message, he found 4 different spec. Amortec 800.:D

IMO, there is no the best racket in the world, but there will be the most suitable racket for yourself.

8. forrestyung

Salesman
    After Green Cab 20, Orange Cab 20 is the second hardest to find colour in Cab 20 series. Even you may not like it, I will recommend you to buy it if the price is reasonable, since it is a good collector item.

9. forrestyung

Salesman
    YY Fan plays very well with Cab 20 Power, BCers who interested in this racket, can ask comments with him.

10. blinan8088

IT Programmer
    Hi forrestyung, thank you very much for sharing your experience with various Cab20.

The orange Cab20 costs around USD 78. Do you think it will be a good purchase if I buy it? Well, actually there is only one store which sells the orange one, other stores here sell the new black/red colour. If the orange one feels stiffer, I think I will like it since I like stiff rackets like Cab22.

11. forrestyung

Salesman
    Last time, the bidding price in Hong Kong for a 99% new orange Cab 20 is around US$130. Red knows the story very well.:p Make sure that the orange one must be in old logo, if it is in new logo, just aware it should be fake!!

Regarding to the stiffness, even the Cab 20 JP, it is not as stiff as Cab 30, so don't too care about it. My main idea is that it is hardly to find two identical rackets (I think it is manufacturing limitation).

Anyway, Cab 20 is really a good choice and it is an old friend of me.:)

#31 forrestyung, Apr 12, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  12. red00ecstrat

of coz i remember that forrest.:p
    but i guess the "orange" cab 20 that blinan8088 had mentioned about was the latest one. rather than the one with old logo.
    so any comment on that cab?

13. blinan8088

IT Programmer
    Yes, sorry my bad... I thought we are talking about the same thing. The orange one which I mentioned is the latest one. Sorry about that, forrestyung and thanks to red00ecstrat for clarifying it.

Btw, I am still going to purchase the new orange Cab20 anyway since I really like its color scheme. It may not perform as good as Cab20 original, but when I think of it, I really love the color scheme :D I plan to use it in single games.

Do you guys use Cab20 mostly for single or double games?

14. red00ecstrat

no problem!:)
    yes i agree. that color look nice but many people call it a gold cab 20 rather than orange. anyway, everybody knows what u were referring to now.;)
    $78 usd sounds ok. u know, shops in hk carry it with similar price. so, if u really wanna get one. just go for it!
    for me. i use it for all my games. got my first one in the 90's then switch to mp88. just switch back recently and couldn't be happier!:D:D:D

15. blinan8088

IT Programmer
    I see. From now on, I should say gold Cab20. Come to think of it, yes gold color should be more precise. :)

I am glad to hear you are converted back to Cab. Welcome to the club! :D

16. forrestyung

Salesman
    Oh I see!!

I never tried the new verison Cab 20 SP, so I cannot make any comment at this moment. I will try to find a friend with this racket for testing.