What happened to LCW at TO ?

Discussion in 'Macau Open / Thailand Open 2006' started by indra, Jul 26, 2006.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hahah you noticed too.. :p

2. indra

indra Regular Member

LCW might feel the bond toward LD, yet LD feels not. This is so, because LD is the only player who defeat him most.

LD might feel the bond toward TH, yet TH feels not. This is so, because TH is the only player who makes his being No. 1 unrecognized as TH has grabbed the 2 most wanted titles.

3. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    That's something interesting. You have good observations.

TH didn't win anything big before. TH even never win anything outside south east asia. I thought he's finished, he's just another hype. Then suddenly, he won the 2 titles which totally upset not only Lin Dan but also changed the whole landscape of the badminton battlefields.

#23 2cents, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  4. indra

indra Regular Member

/Bons/KJ/CJ/LHI/BAO--->LCW--->LD --> TH ---> Defend WC and OC

---> means " future goal [must defeat...]"

5. Titan

Titan Regular Member

so many theories...only LCW himself knows the answer....

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Theoreticians are cheap by the dozens here !:D

7. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    that bcos
    TH rarely plays outside of asia :rolleyes:

TH had shown as talent player since he was 17, he defeated the former junior champion, chen hong in the final of Brunei open 1998

8. Makkem_1

Makkem_1 Regular Member

Here's how I see it:

I think LCW is allowing pressure to pile up on him in important tournaments. I recall that after he crashed out of the Malaysia open,he said he was glad as he didn't have the double-edged tag line of being a 'hometown champion' (only) round his neck..

Chong Wei has the expectations of a whole country round his shoulders. It is different for LD, because to draw a football analogy, in MS Malaysia are the England of badminton compared to China (the Brazil of badminton). As far as I can remember, no Malaysian MS player ever won Worlds or Olympics, [might be wrong] and in Lee they finally have a player that has a good chance. So they overburden him with expectations. Like England's football team every defeat or percieved lapse in form is unacceptable. I recall Malaysian fans on these boards saying they should start booing him, as he had lost the opening set to Ponsana [in a match he won in the end]. That's just stupid: I mean Ponsana is pretty good and at international level the difference can be made on tactics alone. To lose a set is no big deal: LD does it all the time [e.g. he sacrificed a set against Andrew Smith in the QF of the Thomas cup to learn the play style of a dangerous and unfamiliar opponent, but won the last two 21-12, 21-15.] It is also hugely disrespectful to a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, always gives his all with no excuses, and is maybe the hardest-working player around [nobody trains so hard].

It is also clear just how much it means to the guy when he is interviewed esp after a defeat. He takes it personally and a large part of that is that he feels he's let his country down. Another part of it is from interviews he doesn't feel 'accepted' by his own fans: thinks they find him unemotional....

Here's a bit of advice to Malaysia fans: Support your players unconditionally, and don't batter guys like Chong Wei who really deserve better. I say this in the knowledge as an English guy that my countrymen are no different or better - you guys are as desperate for a Malaysian badminton world or Olympic champion as we are for England to win the World Cup and we batter our players all the time! We have waited long enough! [While I think England lack the collective technique to do the job] I know no Malaysia mens singles guy ever really shed the tag of being a home-town champion only but LCW has the ability, fitness and flair to win something big besides his Asian Games and Malaysia open hat-trick. Maybe he won't dominate the sport but he will always be there with a big chance. For Lin Dan, it is different as his country has the experience of dominating the sport and winning major titles. For Chong Wei it is uncharted territory.

Finally if I were to have a message for LCW it would be that he does the work, he has the game and has the heart to be a champion. The rest is in God's hands. The difference between his outlook and LD is that LD only answers to himself. He only has to please himself - so he's free to make mistakes. Taufik is a more extreme example.. only sets himself a few targets.
    Whereas, LCW is in very dangerous territory as he is not only trying to fulfill other's expectations but even worse, in my opinion he's trying to earn 'acceptance' by his results. LD is doing a job to the best of his ability, LCW is trying to prove himself and investing too much of himself in his game...
    [Random comment: Were LCW a Christian I would say know you're accepted as a person and stop trying too hard - if not I would say be more selfish and say you owe nobody anything except yourself.]

I think in the long run he'll get what he deserves: badminton has a busy enough schedule that he's got lots of years to hunt down a major title. [mind you I said that in school about the tennis player Henman... the difference is, Henman narrowly missed winning Wimbledon because he didn't have one important physical attribute - raw power, but had everything else in abundance]. LCW is the real deal, he is a very complete player. I enjoy watching his games esp his matches with Lin Dan:D totally mental!:D It gets me in the mood for my own matches:D :D !

So, LCW lost to Chen Yu.? big deal, Chen Yu is very good. Just a bit inconsistent against the best, he's been an easy top 10 for ages... Hopefully a learning process is happening.....!

Sorry: I did ramble a bit:eek: