TOYOTA GAZOO RACING Thailand Open 2023

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Gigabit, May 29, 2023.

1. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I don't think it is 100% NTY and LJH fault for losing tbh,BAM was too slow to push them up compared to the other countries. Next 1 to 2 years is very crucial,I think BAM has to send them for as much tournaments as possible,should at least be aiming to be in the top 30 by year end or latest mid of next year.

I think BAM is still making the same mistake because I saw Thailand and China are already registering their junior players to play in world tour events(Liu Shengshu and Panitchapon) and I don't see any MAS players getting that chance even though I think their was a MAS junior player that beat Panitchapon quite recently as well but I can't recall who.

Sent from my SM-A136B using Tapatalk

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think the fact that KOR already has match point and Minions 1 point from losing, they will have nothing to lose tomorrow.

SF is great result nonetheless. They will most likely meet again next week

3. Gigabit

Gigabit Regular Member

Banker
    Hence he lost in straight set...

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    ..because their coach is Hendrawan, a rally player.

Baddyforall likes this.
  5. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

Pushing them slow/fast is not the problem. The problem is the mentality and style of play. LJH has been sent for so many tournaments, earning multiple Qualification Round losses, while NTY earned R1/R2 losses all the time. If they want to play slow-slow like that, better play in village tournaments. Lee Shun Yang, Aidil, Lim Chong King are players who play not to win, but to lose. Mentality when playing in tournaments is just bad.

6. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Before the covid I predicted, that we will see him among the top twenty. Today I am not so sure of that. His results are all over the place. At least he doesn't have to attend qualification rounds as much as before.
    One of the fastest player is often late when coming from back to the front corner. Is it because a split second his brains were thinking, that I am not the front player at the moment?

7. cococo

cococo Regular Member

Even with his multiple early exits,his world tour title and multiple junior championship medals already makes him one of the most accomplished singles player that Malaysia has ever produced imo. Even Prannoy only got his first world tour title at 29. I think it's too early to say LJH can't make it.

NTY has the talent,just need to work on the mental part. He could have won today actually,but can see the nerves at the end. If he can settle that,I think he can be at the top.

8. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    what a rally!! Fikri !!

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Thats crazy MD rally! How the heck is that even a winner

10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    LJH can't attack to save his life.
    It's okay to not choose to attack every possible opportunity, its okay to have a defensive or reactive style of play. But you can't not have an attack at this stage of the sport.
    Even WSX could kill a sitter if she had to, can't say the same for LJH

He has the footwork, I'll give him that, would need major fixes in the training regime

11. Vestige117

That's what I am thinking, even stamina/rally based player like Naraoka, Kunlavut, Sen will rain smashes if given short lift and opportunities, especially when trying to win a match.
    Playing 85% rally, 10% flat, 5% smash is just ridiculous. It is wasting precious time and talent.

Baddyforall likes this.
  12. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I think he has,just that Sen defense was too strong. His smash is quite good,if you seen his other matches

13. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

One point of NTY, I watched today. I dont know why he looks like malnourished always. No stamina. I keep on saying this for the past 1 year. He does not have stamina to rally whole match. He dont have power to smash.

14. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Do you have any news about Ong Ken Yon ? I watched him against Meiraba, an Indian young player once. I was impressed by him.

Simeon likes this.
  15. cococo

cococo Regular Member

This one yes,I agree his smash wasn't that strong but he have height advantage so he can do steep shots. I think he bulked up a bit recently but still could be more.

16. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I don't follow his progress much,but I think he's a junior player younger than NTY and LJH

Baddie lover likes this.
  17. Vestige117

OKY got some flak from Malaysian fans after losing to an unknown Nigerian / African player in a low level tournament. As far as I know, he is mistake-machine despite his lovely shots.

18. Vestige117

The issue is not the power, but the amount of smashes he make. I can count on two hands the amount of smashes against LCY. How can a top badminton player can even with with 5% smash in a top circuit? Ridiculous.

Simeon, Gigabit and cococo like this.
  19. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Hmm, losing to unknown players or players from nations with no badminton history is quite distressing for an athlete. Even Lakshya lost to Azerbaijani player Adi some years ago when he was a junior. That was a hard pill to swallow. I wish OKY the best, want to see the best from youngsters in senior level irrespective of country.

20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    At the expense of digressing, Adi dwe C has been around for quite some time and has troubled a lot of higher ranked opponents. Wonder what he could do if he was in Indonesia or any SEA nation.

Baddie lover likes this.