spinning the shuttle ..

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by kwun, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Well, in normal flight, a shuttle will only spin anticlockwise along its axis. Try dropping one from the top of a building or out your window :D

2. frankrei

frankrei Regular Member

Computer Consultant
    * Is this because of the way the feathers are arranged!?

* how come the shuttle takes the same spin whether you slice it in a left-to-right motion or a right-to-left motion?

thanks.

3. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Air pressure

I've also heard that spin on a tennis ball creates high & low (air) pressure systems around the ball. On a topspin shot, there is a high pressure system created on the upper part of the ball and a low pressure system is created on the lower part of the ball. This will tend to cause the ball to drop faster after it has peaked.

Perhaps high & low pressure systems are also created around a spinning shuttle in badminton. If so, this would affect the trajectory of the shuttle.

Very dramatic effects of air pressure differentials can be seen in volleyball & baseball. When a volleyball serve is struck to impart NO spin to the ball, a floater serve results. Such a serve becomes extremely susceptible to slight variations in air pressure in the gym. The ball will appear to dance in a very unpreditable manner as it travels thru the air. The serve can actually move several feet (a meter or so) from its expected path by the time that it gets to s receiver. In baseball. pitchers will sometimes employ a "knuckle ball" that has virtually no spin. Such a pitch can also produce a very upredictable behavior that is due to slight variations in air pressure between the pitcher & the batter.

These examples show that air pressure has effects on both a spinning object as well as on an object that has little or no spin. The spining object creates pressure differences that tends to dictate its trajectory. A projectile with no spin, on the other hand, moves according to the whims of slight pressure variations that occur naturally... producing very unpreditable effects.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Sorry, the spin on the shuttl dose not produce any lifting or sinking effect unless the air is blow from the side which is impossible in a indoor condition. And yes, the shuttle will tend to spin in one direction due to the feather arrangement. Depending on your observation point, the shuttle can spin clockwise or counter clockwise. However, a undamaged shuttle will always spin in one direction only. Actuall, if you are slicing a shuttle that is falling from a higher fligt path, left handed slice and right handed slice will produce difference initial spin direction if you are slicing with a downward motion.

5. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    The natural spin has everything to do with the shuttle construction... the way the feather overlap. If the the feather were overlapped the opposite way, the shuttle would undoubtedly naturally spin in the opposite direction.

I'm not sure, but I do not believe that shuttle spins the same direction for a righty slice as it does for a lefty or reverse-cut slice. In one case the shuttle actual overcomes the natural spin & spins it in the opposite direction (of that natural spin). Note that the standard lefty slice usually drops faster just as your reverse righty (round-the-head) slice does.

Just as you can overcome (& reverse) the natural spin on a shuttle, so too can you do this with water going down a drain. If allowed to drain naturally, the water will always spin the same direction. However, you can force the water to spin in the opposite direction from its natural tendency.

6. silentheart

I am not sure if it is a defect or not, I actually saw shuttle's feather arranged in opposite direction before. (they are different brands) No matter what direction the shuttle spin, they should fly in the the same flight path. In case of the Initial spin is different than the natural spin, the torc on the shuttle will eventially overcome the initial spin and return to natural spin in the long flight. I included a simple diagram on why it is possible to produce different initial spin. I would like to note that often time the slice shot's spin is very small and the tumbling efect slows down the shuttle more than anything else.

Attached Files:

7. frankrei

frankrei Regular Member

Computer Consultant
    Ok, so assuming that there is a natural spin to each shuttle determined by the direction of overlap of the feathers and that you can overcome this natural spin by applying a stronger spin in the opposite direction, what are the practical applications?

* Does a reverse axial spin stroke drop faster or slower or almost the same as natural spin?

* Do they slow down differently?

* Does one go longer than the other?

Sorry I am just taking advantage of having a few aerodynamicists around to help me understand one of the great unexplained mysteries of badminton :)

8. silentheart

Ok, Let's make sure we know the physic of badminton shuttle. We are only talking about the relationship between the shuttle spin and slow down of shuttle.

1) Since the feather is over lapsed, this cause the shuttle to spin counter clockwise in regular flight.
    2) Shuttle travel in the air and spin like a neutral propeller spin in the wind while you travel forward. Assume this propeller is also spin counter clockwise in the wind.
    3) If the if you travel at a fixed speed, the propeller will spin at a fix speed after a while because it will give the lease resistant. Same as for a shuttle.
    4) The air act on the propeller and produce a torq to spin the propeller. Sams as for a shuttle.
    5) Due to the conservation of momentum, spin up of the shuttle will decrease the speed of the shuttle.
    6) If shuttle spin at clockwise at first, it will take shuttle longer to stop spinning then spin counter clockwise than from clockwise spin to clockwise spin. Clockwise shuttle will have more Breaking power.
    7) Anti axial spin shuttle will slow down faster and it has a steeper drop. In theory, the anti axial spin shuttle will travel shorter.

I hope this answer some of your question. It is Ok to say I am BSing. Have a nice weekend.

9. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    How did this happen ???

[​IMG] how does spinning a birdy or a ball change its flight path?

Very odd! When I first saw this thread it started with this posting from oab729

However when I went looking for it later (prompted by email in my Inbox), the oab729 thread no longer appeared in the list of threads in this forum. Now it appears to have concatenated with another thread on spinning. It is now post #34 in a thread started by kwun. I'm confused. Was this done intentionally?

It seems that this has happened before. I get a notification in my email Inbox alterting me to a reply of a certain thread only to find that that thread no longer exists. This is the first time that I've actaully found one of those lost threads as part of a larger thread.

#49 SystemicAnomaly, Mar 26, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  10. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Was this supposed to be a response to my previous posting (#43)? If so, it seems that you misunderstood my point. In fact, I did not even say that a spinning shuttle would produce any lift.

My point was that the trajectory of a projectile is affected by spin. My contention was that slight differences in air pressure (that have very little or nothing to do with any perceived air currents) can possibly be responsible for these trajectory influences. Obviously, the spin on a tennis ball & the spin of a shuttle are very different spins & will produce different results. However, in both cases, the trajectory is influenced.

Not sure that I understand this statement. Please explain. If you slice in one direction, the shuttle will spin one way. If you slice in the other direction, the shuttle will experience the opposite spin. Don't you agree?

11. silentheart

Sorry, I was just clarifying your statement only. I just want to say they are 2 different things. They are influenced differently. I agree with what you said. What I tried to say in your second question is that the shuttle will will turn to "natural spin or axial spin" in a long flight even you slice it the other way.

Have a nice weekend.

12. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    thnx for the clarification... makes more sense now.

did anyone else see the thread anomaly that i mentioned in #49?

13. Mt. Apo

Mt. Apo Regular Member

Consultant
    Any video clip to demonstrate clearly on how to do slice drop shot?

Thanks...

14. martin8768

martin8768 New Member

sudent
    i might just put my 2 cents into this one, didnt read the whole thread but i just want to say that in a normal shot, example a clear, the bird inicially has no or barly any spin, this will eventually slow it down and make it seem, less smooth as some people pointed out, then when it slows down it starts to spin making it fall, and fall more, now with a sliced or maybe aide the spin by adding a little angle and slice to ur clear, creating a smooth fast moving shuttle, because like a baseball the spin displaces the air more eficiently i belive so making ur clear faster, possible higher, better so to say, ok now for the drop shot, because it is travelling slower the spin will cache more air, making in fall faster also, so i think that it, anyone wana add to that?

15. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    The drop shots-normal slow, normal fast, reverse drops-and net tumbles are the only strokes in which you slice the shuttle. For other shots slicing the shuttle will lose power and speed and will not get you what you want.

16. Furtil

Furtil Regular Member

student
    So, for overhead dropshots, by adding extra counter-clockwise spin, the shuttle will slow down faster; and by hitting it clockwise, the shuttle will spin clockwise, stop spinning, and then spin counter-clockwise, which would make the shuttle goes further before dropping.

Now, for cutting smashes, I've observed several pros hitting the shuttle as if they were cutting it, but then when I took a closer slow-motion look, they actually hit the shuttle flat-on, then twist their rackets inward (as if doing a reverse slice) (not sure why; perhaps to ease the pressure off the wrist). The shuttle would quickly enters its natural spin, which makes it look like the shuttle was sliced. I've tried this out a few times and actually noticed that my cutting smashes are slower than my flat-on ones (it could be that I'm slicing it too much).

Here's my question: should I cut my overhead drops? I'm risking A LOT of accuracy. The shuttle rarely goes where I want them.

17. faaiz

faaiz Regular Member

assistant manager
    its fun to spinning the shuttle when play with friend..its more easier to spin the shuttle when u take service..

18. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business