Shuttle speeds for UK

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by ant01, Mar 31, 2012.

1. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I tried steaming my AS20 shuttles for the first time last weekend and it really made a difference to the shuttle durability. One shuttle actually lasted 2 doubles games (although social games not club). I'm not sure how steaming affects the consistency of the shuttles though.

I've got some RSL tourney 3 (78) steamed for play tonight so I'll see how I get on with the faster speed shuttle. I expect that I will be hitting it long, since I've been doing that at a club that I've joined recently but I'm sure that I can refine my lifts and clears to fix that eventually :cool:

2. Boggieeiggob

Boggieeiggob Regular Member

Personally, I hate RSL shuttles. I find that they fall apart ridiculously easily.
    In terms of speed, I don't really have any problems with Yonex shuttles but they've got the same problem as RSL ones to me, except they fall apart at a slower rate.
    If you ask me, I'd say Ashaway or surprisngly, Wilson feather shuttles are good

3. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I've used Wilson before and I agree they aren't bad. I haven't tried Ashaway yet though so might give Ashaway 450 a go :)

Also, just to get back on topic I've gotten used to using faster shuttles (78/79) and it wasn't too hard to adjust after figuring it out!

4. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    b

#24 Alex_Xu, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2023
  5. badminton.player

badminton.player New Member

FWIW, since this topic is 'timeless', I`d just add that I have been observing the shuttles used in BE-sanctioned tournaments in England and it appears that most if not all, at least during the English spring/summer, seem to use Babolat 1 or Babolat 1+, speed rating 77.

6. scamp

scamp Regular Member

I provide low cost coaching as a service to the community and normally use Bird 2 shuttles rather than feathers. These are pretty good, although I'd recommend the faster speed for most UK halls. Incidentally, Bird 3 was supposed to be an improvement over Bird 2 but experience has shown these to be considerably less robust.