Semifinals Asia Cup Prediction --> INA vs CHN

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Pebulutangkis, May 4, 2001.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: True

Who's opposition? I have to wait until 1200 midnite

for delayed telecast.I hope its Thailand.

2. SEMIFINAL 1 REPORT!!!!!!!

i was at the indoor stadium for the semifinal 1 INA vs CHN. The whole tie lasted 4 1/2 hrs.

<u>Taufik Hidayat vs Chen Hong</u>
    1st set Taufik played quite well, with some Chen & Taufik unforced errors. He did not play up to his normal standard. Taufik won 15-9 at the 2nd set taufik was down at 1 stage, caught up, but didn't have the mental strength to finish it off, losing 16-17. 3rd set taufik did not play well, he was down, tried to catch up, couldn't do much and lost it 15-12. This game was full of unforced errors by both Taufik & Chen. During the match, Indonesian supporters were calling Chen a "zombie", "sleeping man" & all sorts of things. Our shouts drowned the Chinese supporters going " cong kuo cia you" and many insults were hurled but they were in indonesian.

<u>Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto vs Zhang Jun/Zhang Wei</u>
    1st set the indonesians were shocked by the chinese attack & unforced errors by the indonesians gave china the set 15-4. the second set indonesia came storming back with amazing jump smashes and net shots & they won 15-6. the third set was very close. in the end wijaya & budiarto showed their class to win 17-15. The crowd was slightly quieter, but still shouted everytime the indonesians smashed.

<u>Hendrawan vs Chen Yu</u>
    1st set Chen Yu out played Hendrawan 15-12, and Hendrawan responded taking the 2nd 15-9. during 14-9, hendrawan was hit in the eye by chen's smash at the net. supporters were cursing the china man, calling out to hendrawan to make him pay by smashing his "balls". after a few change of serves, hendrawan finished the set off 15-9. The rubber set, hendrawan was down 9-14, when chen thought he had won but he had not won yet as the shuttle was out. Hendrawan then fought back to 12-14, but alas the chinese was too much and he lost 15-12. Cheung said some ppl were booing at the end, it was Indonesian supporters booing when chen yu raised his hands claiming victory including me hehhehe.when hendrawan walked past us, we cheared him and urged him not to be too sad. he was so sad at the end of the match.

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Re: SEMIFINAL 1 REPORT!!!!!!!

In my opinion, people who supported Chen Yu in that match have little to celebrate about. Hendrawan had that game in total control in the 2nd set and would have taken it 15-9. Because of his eye injury he made countless errors in both the end of the 2nd set and throughout the 3rd set.

ANyhow, congrats to Chen Yu this time but good luck to him the next time he faces Hendrawan, because hes going to need it

4. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: CHN has it!!!!!!

Totally agree. I was there live and for all my not being a badminton expert, I felt the game could have gone either way. Noticed that Hendrawan did not return a lot of shots, waiting instead for the linesman to call them out. Perhaps he does have to improve on his stamina, if anything.

And Kwun, I wasn't booing. I don't boo people when they lose, only when they don't give their best. I think Hendrawan tried very very hard and that's good enough. Dunno, I seem to have a soft spot for him and Ye Zhaoying, and for no apparent reason too. Certain people just have this effect on me. I base a lot of stuff on my feelings and the same goes for the way I support badminton players.

5. Just me:)

Just me:) Guest

Hendrawan, No matter what , i will always support you!!
    Hendrawan was only unlucky, If there was no such "smashed incident", Hendrawan will win the game!
    All the best for INA for tomorrow match!

6. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: True

I dunno abt Chinese exhaustion but from what I saw, the Korean players looked extremely relaxed. They didn't field their strongest doubles pairing, choosing to rest Lee DS (@!#$!) and play Yoo YS with a newcomer Chung Jae-sung instead. Anyway, their doubles was first-classed. Either that or the Thais weren't fantastic. The Koreans were so sure they were gonna win, Shon SM didn't even bother to warm up.

Anyway, like Birdbrain, I was hoping Thailand would pull off an upset for a period of time (if you can be bothered, kindly refer to my msg under the fighting spirit thread). No chance of that though.

The Korean players are really fun to watch though. They looked like a high school sports team, in terms of the way they were cheering (most of the noise came from them) and giving each other high-fives at the end of the game. Lee DS got a friendly slap from his coach... for being cheeky, I guess. Shon was hooting non-stop. Notice I was paying more attention to the activities off-court rather than those on it. The Korea-Thai match was a no-gamer really.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: CHN has it!!!!!!

That's probably because of his immaculate conduct and

commitment on court.Yesterday even Taufik was a galant loser.

8. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Chen Yu doesn't look promising, he doesn't have a killer

stroke in his armoury, may do well in team events but not likely

to be highly successful as an individual player,just like

Chen Gang and Xiong Guo Bao.

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Re: Hendrawan

And his dedication and discipline off it as well. He looks a bit like (HK actor) Wong Hei, no?

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Too bad you never had a chance to see Rudy Hartono in his

prime, he seldom lost, whether win or lose he will always praise

opponents, shake their hands warmly and flash his great smile.

No one dislikes him!Taufik also applauds his opponents but he

seems to be 'Kansi'(cantonese), his game has stagnated and people can read him like a book, but he doesn't want to face it!

11. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student

Well...... I suppose it's always difficult to face failure, esp. when you were touted to be a success. And I guess that's the difference between a true champion and someone who isn't up to that standard yet. The former is willing to admit it when he/she goes wrong but not the latter.

I wasn't even born when Rudy Hartono was playing. But I read a couple of interviews with him. He's a very humble guy with a great attitude, both towards the game and life in general. He must have been a true champion in every sense of the word.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

You guys are bad sports booing a winner!
    Thanks for the explanation!!

I'm picking Hendrawen to go right up to the S/F (at least) in the WC.

13. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad

Me too! I support Hendrawan all the way!