Semi-finals...

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2004' started by kwun, Oct 29, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    MS:

Chen Jin (CHN) vs. Hwang Jung Woon (KOR)
    Gong Weijie (CHN) vs. Lee Cheol Ho (KOR)

WS:

Wang Lin (CHN) vs. Lu Lan (CHN)
    Cheng Shao Chieh (TPE) vs. Ha Jung Eun (KOR)

MD:

Yoo Yeon Seong / Jeon Jun Bum (KOR) vs. Hoon Thien How / Tan Boon Heong (MAS)
    Shen Ye / He Hanbin (CHN) vs. Lee Yong Dae / Jung Jung Young (KOR)

WD:

Tian Qing / Yu Yang (CHN) vs. Greysia Polli / Heni Budiman (INA)
    Ha Jung Eun / Oh Seul Ki (KOR) vs. Feng Chen / Pan Pan (CHN)

XD:

Muhamad Rizal / Greysia Polli (INA) vs. Lee Yong Dae / Park Soo Hee (KOR)
    He Hanbin / Yu Yang (CHN) vs. Lee Sheng Mu / Cheng Shao Chieh (TPE)

tally by country:

CHN - 8
    KOR - 7
    INA - 2
    TPE - 2
    MAS - 1

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Ooooo please let me line judge the Chen Jin game.... Oooo please. *fingers crossed* I'm so hoping he'll make it to the final.

3. verve_pipe

verve_pipe Regular Member

student~!duh...
    malaysia boys doubles are in the FINALS!!!!! beat the top seeds 15-10,17-14

4. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

Results

CHEN jin (chn) beat HWANG jung woon (kor) 15:1 15:4
    GONG weijie (chn) beat LEE cheol ho (kor) 8:15 15:9 15:2

Hoon Thien How / Tan Boon Heong (MAS) beat
    Yoo Yeon Seong / Jeon Jun Bum (KOR) 15:10 17:14
    Lee Yong Dae / Jung Jung Young (KOR) beat
    Shen Ye / He Hanbin (CHN) 17:14 11:15 15:5

Lu Lan (CHN) beat Wang Lin (CHN) by walkover
    Cheng shao shieh (TPE) beat Ha jung eun 11:4 11:2

Tian Qing / Yu Yang (CHN) beat
    Greysia Polli / Heni Budiman (INA) 15:1 15:2
    Feng Chen / Pan Pan (CHN) beat
    Ha Jung Eun / Oh Seul Ki (KOR) 15:10 15:9

Muhamad Rizal / Greysia Polli (INA) beat
    Lee Yong Dae / Park Soo Hee (KOR) 15:5 17:15
    He Hanbin / Yu Yang (CHN) beat
    Lee Sheng Mu / Cheng Shao Chieh (TPE) 15:3 15:1

5. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

Oh..I am so happy for the Malaysian pair~!! They have carried on the tradition of doing well in the junior MD event :)

So, it's Chen Jin n Gong Weijie again in the finals..I hope Gong Weijie will prevail this time..I like rooting for the underdog ;) Do anyone think they will be the next Lin Dan and Bao Chunlai??

6. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

I definately think that Chen Jin and Gong Wei Jie will be the next lin dan and bao chun lai.....chen jin is absolutely extradorinary..a true talent...seeing him play life is undescribable......gong wei jie is also very good...im soo proud of his came today in the semi-finals.....he had a hard time in the beginning...but the longer he played...the better he became...anyways keep it up boys and GO CHINA...btw....did chen jin and gong wei jie play against each other last year??...what were the results?.....and do u guys think that both of them will continue their badminton after their 'junior' years and become 'professional'??...i certainly hope they do...coz they sure have the stuff for it....GO CHINA!

7. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    The semi's were quite exciting today.The first match of the womens singles the taipei girl dominated the Korean girl with faster shots and footwork.I think she made the tactical mistake of not trying to slow the game down and trying to play the taipei girls speed and style of play.She needed to play longer more drawn out rallies which to get chances but I think she just gave up from tiredness.The ladies doubles match between the indonesians and the chinese was a total blowout.The chinese girls were so aggressive and never let anything phase them .Their play right off the serve dictated the end of each rally very quickly.I think these girls will be ones to watch out for in the future.Strong net and smashes was all the indonesian girls kept seeing.The other ladies doubles match between the Koreans and Chinese was a little more tense.The Chinese were definitely the aggressors but the Korean team had a pretty solid counterpunching defense which the Chinese girls seemed to make alot of offensive errors on.However in the end the persistance paid off as they eventually found enough holes to push on through.The match with The Koreans vs the Malaysians was an excellent match with alot of good rallies with attack turning to defense and vice versa.Both teams were very evenly matched I thought in all departments with exception of one of the Malaysians who had shot delay down to a science fooling Koreans and spectaters alike.The point spread in the beginning favored the Malaysians but after a slow start the Koreans started to find their form and after being down 11 to 3 came back to 10 to 12 .The Malaysians steadied themselves and pushed on in exhausting rallies finally winning 15 to 10. The second game was real battle as the score was close with neither team giving an inch and just when the Malaysians got to 14 to 12 the Koreans picked it up a notch and tied it up at 14 all.The next few rallies were unpredictable as the Malaysians got 2 quick points with one being a drive serve up the center line and another shot that hit the net .Well it seemed destined and the Koreans defense couldn't stem the Malaysians attack and that was the match in 2 games.The other mens doubles match between China and Korea was an all out war with fast and furious rallies with lots of exciting drive rallies and net kills with heavy hitters on both sides.The crouch defense from one of the Koreans was incredible.It reminded me alot of Li Yongbo who would instead of moving backwards on defense would actually step forward and drive your smash straight back at you going for the kill at the net.The score was so tight in the first game and it seemed to last an eternity and you began to wonder if either side would run out of energy but to the crowds delight play continued at this frantic pace to no surprise 14 all.The Koreans had some deal with the gods today however as they kept hitting the tape on defense and winning key rallies to the disbelief of the Chinese pair and won the first game 17 to 14.The next game was pretty much the same but the Chinese pair seemed to get more breaks this time as the Koreans defense seemed a little shaky with a 15 to 11 win.This led to the much anticipated 3rd game which the Koreans established early on that they meant business.Aggressive from the beginning and no let up in defense or offense.The Chinese pair seemed to let the score get the better of them and for some reason just didn't seem to have enough fight left in them to stage a comeback.But what a match and the crowd showed their appreciation for witnessing such a wonderful display of doubles.The mens singles was a total blowout for Chen Jin again as he just showed to be a cut above all his opponents .The other singles match between the Korean and the Chinese was another matter.The first game seemd to go rather easily for the Korean but the second game the Chinese seemed to have found the pace that the Korean was playing and starte to dazzle with jump smashes straight and xcourt winningwith good effort.The third game the Korean just couldn't put together any kind of an attack and eventually succumbed to an on fire Chinese player who was playing the same pace as the 2nd game .No contest as the Chinese boy continued to hit down and charging forward to a weary Korean . The mixed doubles between China and Taipei was another blowout as the strength of the chinese team was just too much to overcome even with the strength of the Taipei girl.The Taipei boy didn't have nearly enough strength to deal with thundering smashes from the Chinese boy who was in good company with his partner who dominated the net giving way to the kills from defensive lifts.The last match between the Koreans and the Indonesians was a combination of the freshness of the man as the Korean boy had just finished the marathon doubles and his partner was just beginning to play after a long break from the day before.The Indonesian girl despite losing badly to the Chinese earlier had got her form in good time whereas the Korean girl seemed cold and not quite in sync with the pace.This led to an easy first game for the Indonesians.The second game the Koreans got it together and made the match very interesting matching the power and consistency of the Indonesians going to 14 all.The Indonesians got a few lucky breaks however and eventually found the holes in the defense winning 17 to 15.A great day of badminton and we saw alot of stars for the future. :)

8. Syaoran_Style

Does anybody know why wang lin has given a walkover? This is for help lu lan or she's really injured?
    this girl in in semi final of the world junior championship and she's only 15 y.o !!!!!

9. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

I think they last played against each other in Asian Junior Championship final which Chen Jin won :) Dat is y i m hoping for Gong to win this time..hehhe but i doubt it will happen coz' Chen seems to be on top form from the first day of the championship till now

10. Bresis

Bresis Regular Member

Who is 15 years old? Lu Lan or Wang Lin?? Wow..they r so young..it makes me feel very old :crying:

11. MakubeX

MakubeX Regular Member

Wang Lin, she's born in 1989, and she's cute also. :)

12. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

I watched the semi-finals yesterday and it was GREAT.....but when china's men's doubles were playing againts korea...ppl all around me were commenting that china wasnt playin very well and that they need to smash a whole lot more....i personnally think that they played quite well ..but the koreans were just simply better...any opinions on this?

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It is indeed suspect but given that Cheng beat her Korean opponent in 15 minutes, I would think that fatigue is not going to be a factor.

I will be there for all five matches!

14. Syaoran_Style

i haaaaatttee youu !! :crying: :crying: hahhahaha
    someone want to pay me my airticket lool??

yes this is very suspect, maybe because lu lan is better than wang lin so they thought she's more prepare than her to play against cheng, but i think cheng will beat Lu lan in straight games =p

15. viver

viver Regular Member

Really don't think China MD did not play well. They were stronger, had more powerful smashes and probably better all around game. Koreans were better as a team - they had very good drives and determination - they never gave up did they? In my opinion, Chinese players should not have tried to exchange that many drives with the Korean team. The Korean boys were aggressive and always coming forward and engage the Chinese players for drives/pushes exchange. The problem was the Chinese were often on the losing end but kept challenging the Koreans on flat shots exchange. To me this was the biggest mistake. In the second set the Chinese started to vary the power of their smashes and proved successful. They were able to win a lot of points and the game. But in the third set they did not continue with the same strategy and trying difficult shots where probably it was easier to lift and play it safe. Many points were lost in this way giving the advantage to the Koreans and finally the match. Disappointing. :(

Today's MD final the Malaysian pair were more intelligent. They moved the Korean players instead of hard smashing only. The Malaysians attacked with patience and often moved the taller Korean player to the baseline as his smash was not as powerful. Probably the Chinese MD team have to look how the others played. I really think they could have won this tournament.