question about "full swing badminton"'s wrist and what he is saying?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ralphz, Dec 9, 2023.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    My interpretation of the most recent screenshots you posted is that he demonstrates exactly what beginners do and what he does differently. He’s standing at the forecourt to show what he wants his student to do because the net helps the student understand what is happening to the shuttle with the two different techniques- not because he is demonstrating a net kill per se.

Again, this is my interpretation of the video and something may be lost in translation.

Try clenching your fingers in a fist with the wrist in various degrees of extension and in neutral position. Do you feel any difference in the amount of maximum grip strength with the various positions?

UkPlayer likes this.
  2. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

If you look at images A,B,C from post #18, is that where you think he is demonstrating what he thinks beginners do or what he thinks should be done?

If you look at images D,E,F,G from post #18 , is that where you think he is demonstrationg what he thinks beginners do or what he thinks should be done?

If you look at images H,I from post #18 , is that where you think he is demonstrating what he thinks beginners do or what he thinks should be done?

(I will address the other bits but I just want to to see your response to that as that will help clarify what you are saying).

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Correct. I definitely did not write it is wrong.

Perhaps we just see it differently then.

I could be wrong as I am not fluent in Korean.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

it's also possible we are using words differently. We might disagree on some points but i'm not sure whether or not we disagree on that particular point. You didn't really answer the recent thing I asked relating to it, so I don't know, so will leave this disagreement as unresolved ;-)

#24 ralphz, Jan 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
  5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    0.26-0.32 is what the person in the video I posted that in response to does. If you go to the video of the guy that requested feedback you can literally see the tension being held onto in his forearm and wrist which doesn't transfer the force into the shot correctly.

0.44-0.45 is the correction which is then explained side by side correcting a player.

You are looking at positions of racket wrist etc. which is the not the point of the video.

It's not a full smash tutorial and he's not demonstrating that or net kills. Hence why I also posted a full smash tutorial along with it. He may get something out of it, he may not. I definitely would have if I was asking for help on my technique many years ago.

Obviously it's not a video that connects with you. That's fine, but different people have different understandings of the game and have been taught differently, and it's pretty pointless to judge what's better or worse for others just because your learning style and understanding of the game differs from others.

#25 UkPlayer, Jan 4, 2024
    Cheung likes this.
  6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

a video can be better or worse at demonstrating a particular thing.

In there you write "it's pretty pointless to judge what's better or worse for others"

I think you've just provided an argument in your post, for why That video is good for them rather than e.g. another video from full swing badminton. So you judged that that video was better than others from him or some others from him..

I don't think that's pointless for you to have made that judgement.

Not necessarily. I might examine what you've said regarding the aspect of the video that you find relevant and think you have a good point. Infact the fact that you gave a timeframe for looking at in itself makes it extra useful.

#26 ralphz, Jan 4, 2024
  7. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I have no idea whether it was better for him than the other videos that are available. It's what helped me try to get the concept across quickly and easily though.

I wouldn't presume that what I think is better at explaining something is actually better at explaining something. I'm sure that some people just want conceptual information and to then try something out, and some want things broken down bit by bit and learning styles are different. It's not something you can gauge online really.

What are these videos that are better at explaining this specific thing though? Is there one which would explain this better to me? To you? To an audience? Is there an objective measure of their outcome to individual players?

#27 UkPlayer, Jan 4, 2024
  8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Since you have elaborated on the specific thing you wanted to show and given a timeframe, I have no disagreement with your choice of video.

On the particular thing you mention, to do with tension in the forearm, I don't have a strong opinion re videos on the matter, and I don't dispute that the video you selected ia a good choice to demonstrate your point.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Here's a new video of the coach from 2 days ago ago. This clearly shows his increased wrist flexion tendency in slow motion somewhere after 1:30.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

Simeon and ralphz like this.
  10. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Very interesting find

As you mention.
    1:33 in Full Swing Badminton's video "Don't resist the weight of the racket"

[​IMG]

I know you know this but i'll note it for the benefit of others, It is a legit method.. Even though most say not to do it.

Here is another example . Screenshot 3:00 from "Badminton Lesson #1 - Basic Clear Motion Exercise" by KC Badminton

[​IMG]

And another at 1:38 in this very old video "Badminton Smash Lesson", uploaded by "Gumsin".

[​IMG]

It's interesting 'cos actually in the video that has been the main one discussed earlier in the thread "racket head | wrist", he teaches not to flex the wrist past neutral. 2:22 screenshot below And in that video (where he teaches not to flex the wrist past neutral), I don't think he does in any of the swings.
    upload_2024-1-5_6-7-52.png

But indeed in the video you found that is very recent , titled "Don't resist the weight of the racket", he definitely does flex the wrist past neutral.

And, I know you know this but again, for others, i'd note it's OK to do so but not meant to be for power just as a passive follow through..

But more normal technique is to not flex the wrist past neutral , not even as a passive follow through.

One of the reasons I heard from a proponent of bending the wrist past neutral, is that it makes it easier to hit it straight, 'cos the method where you don't , means you have to time it more.. in order to hit it straight. The bending the wrist past neutral does have a bonus that you see where the racket is facing after hitting it and that should be where it went (I suppose assuming no slice was put on it).

I personally have at one time used the wrist bending forwards as a passive follow through method.. But must have done it wrong or too much one time 'cos it got a little sore and I switched to the conventional method of not doing that.. And I figured a few things out re the timing and swing mechanics to get it to work.

Interestingly while I was learning and focussing a lot on learning the overhead swing.. a coach that showed me that method wasn't in favour of much wrist extension.

And there's two interesting things to examine one is wrist flexion which you've shown he does in the recent vide.. And there's wrist exntesion or degree of wrist extension

Great find

visor likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Agree.

In Korea, it looks like it’s more normal.

It can do It might benefit one aspect of the game but for example with wrist pain, there’s a trade off for some players.

It seemed pretty clear to me. Maybe you can come back to it another time in the future.

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Just to clarify and to not create more confusion in my discussion with you, I'd just note that in your recent post, post #31, you've quoted from two different posts I wrote, where one was on one subject and one on another subject..

13. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Interesting talk about the subject here as well.

14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The subject of the thread isn't some general question of how to do an overhead.

The subject was what full swing badminton is saying and doing regarding movement at the wrist joint a Wrist Bend, or Wrist bending.. wrist flexion, wrist extension. And amount of extension, that kind of thing. There were one or two similarly technical things that tie in strongly, like what he does in another video in comparison to this one.. Or what he does similar to other korean players in relation to wrist joint movement.

Your video doesn't touch on the subject of wrist joint movement at all.. And doesn't tie into what full swing does re wrist joint. Your video is talking about rotating of the forearm.. that's not the wrist.

I think there were already some posts explaining for badminton players how to tell the difference between the wrist and the forearm. Like what a wrist is and what a forearm is. The wrist joint and the forearm are not exactly the same thing. I am well aware of the importance arm rotation but that's not the subject of the thread

#34 ralphz, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  15. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    In that video I see many kind of wrist action of a coach. Isn't that useful for the people reading this thread?

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I don't really know what is standing out for you there in relation to what happens at his wrist joint? There may be various videos where one can see somebody's wrist joint and degree of extension or flexion at the wrist, when they hit it or do a demonstration , but can you give a timeframe of where you think it's notable re the video you mention?

You write that you see "many kind of wrist action". That video looks to be demonstrating forearm rotation, which isn't a wrist action. The wrist is a hinge joint - has a hinge joint functionality, there are only two types of action with a hinge joint, flexion and extension. (It's also a gliding joint, which might be why it's also possible to do deviation at the wrist joint, ulnar deviation and radial deviation). Though this thread has looked at flexion and extension.. If you notice something unusual re the deviation that'd be interesting. He doesn't mention wrist action in his video. His demonstration would involve his wrist being at some position or another at any point during the swing, but can you point to any time in the video you think is notable re that?

To make it relevant..

[​IMG]

That looks like quite a bit of wrist extension to me.. Though he isn't hitting a shuttle.

I used to have a lot of wrist extension when my elbow was high, and that meant that instead of it looking like this

[​IMG]

my wrist was more relaxed and was very extended and at that point, my racket face wasn't so perpendicular to the floor. and a coach corrected that to make it be more like the racket face orientation of the guy in the badminton smash(man) video.

So if the guy in your video (the guy with the white glasses) were to do that when hitting it then that'd be interesting..

Full swing has quite a lot of wrist extension much later in the swing, in this demonstration which is interesting. Though that might just be that demonstration maybe that demonstration is odd ).

[​IMG]

#36 ralphz, Jan 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2024