Place to play for a day in Surrey

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by txyu, Apr 2, 2003.

1. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Last night was like the longest "drop-in" session I ever had and I enjoyed every minute of it! Thanks txyu and timeless for giving valuable tips! To all my partners (JChen99, txyu, timeless, Seot, ...), thanks for covering when I made soo many mistakes...

haha..I was so tired that I almost fell asleep in the comfy chairs at the restaurant afterwards.....

Seot:

haha...ya...I'm looking into getting a membership at VRC...definitely worth the money.

Gryp:

u gonna join vrc?...maybe we can find some other people and join up as a group because I saw on the vrc website that if we join in a group of 5-9 people, we get 25% off the initiation fee!...(10 or more is 50% off)

WilloW:

I'm not looking for private lessons anymore because I don't have that much money to sustain it....if I do join vrc, I'll definitely come and practice with you guys. Thanks for the offer!

2. WilloW

WilloW Regular Member

TTT and Gryp

If you are conceaned about the initiation fee then you should join VRC in June because they have a special promotion on during June, July and August for $200 with no initiation fee and if you decide to stay on for the rest of the season after the offer you wont be charged the initiation fee, just the regular fee.

I'm pretty sure it works that way, can anyone confirm this?

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Has VRC raised the fee for summer? It was $180 for the summer months (June-Aug) last year. Again, wished I could join but not being be make it out for more than once a week on a consistent basis means that I wouldn't be getting value for the fees paid. ;)

Actually I am surprised that you guys remembered who you played with/against last night (there were so many games). I think I didn't get an opportunity to play with Seot & Badrad only and only a game or two with JChen and TTT.

I think Timeless left to play with someone else after he and I clashed our racquets (thankfully, no damage inflicted) :D

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Sorry didn't get chance to play some of you guys. mrs. and little badrad are practicing together for ladies doubles, and we were also trying out different mix doubles combos with lefty Paul.

Besides, this'll give some of you more time to practice up before playing me... :p

Hahahahahahahah! - Who called me "OLD"?

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Haha, actually I remembered faces then checked with the foto :D

Last night playing I was actually pretty amazed at how much people moved around in court... especially timeless... cuz he almost basically didnt! haha

After last night so many non-members wanna become member, but I find VRC a bit too far to drive (40 mins) to play baddy... but it's still tempting. Hope I get another chance to play there during my next semester break, hopefully by then I'll have a few more things figured out so I dun end up setting up the opponent up for smashes too often :p (appologies again for that horrible game Timeless :D)

6. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    if you guys are thinking of joining the vrc, you should put yourselves on the waiting list. The membership is full right now according to the director

7. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Badrad is clueing us in on his badminton secret... jedi mind tricks!:eek:

"Look deeeeeeeeeeep into my eyes... you will miss every shot in this game... when you hear me say: Game Point! you will wake up and not recall a thing..."

hehehe ;)

8. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    The 2nd Vancouver BF.com meet was a success. I had a great time, and it was really nice meeting friends, and putting faces to the names of new ones. I wish you were all VRC members so we could do this more often! :D It's cool to hear some of you are seriously considering joining soon. Hmmm... I think VRC should pay commission to us BF.com-VRC members for increasing their membership! ;) :p

Thanks to all of you, it was a lot of fun and good games all around :D.

9. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I left to play with the new BF.com guests, not because we clashed hahaha~ :D. And no need to apologize, I was the one that felt bad since it was YOUR brand new demo Winex racquet I was using! Pretty tough for a 4U though, not a scratch on it. BTW, please let me know if you get the 3U version of it strung, I think the 4U may be too light for me and threw my timing off all night :( :eek:.

10. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hmmm you thought I hardly moved about the court? ... Perhaps one day you'll tell me why it seemed like I didn't ;) :p.

Don't sweat it... You set me up to get SLAUGHTERED at the net by txyu only... 5 or 6 times that game! :D hahahaha~ I'm not sure who enjoyed it more... txyu or all the people spectating... they were all busting a gut watching me defend my life :p :D.

11. dropsmash

dropsmash Regular Member

Sorry, I couldn't make it out on Sat. Maybe next time.

12. WilloW

WilloW Regular Member

Yes VRC has raised the price from $180 to $200 for this season.

The Value in joining VRC is that you get to play whenever you want, you get to play higher skilled players more often, you can practise, there is a gym aswell and you get to meet great ppl like Timeless and Badrad. You shouldn't look at it as value in how many times you can play in a month, it is not the same as playing at a community center. Members are only allowed to bring the same guest only once a month and only 6 times in a year.....

There is a waiting list at the moment but after May 1st it wont really matter since thats when the new season starts and some members dont renew thier membership.

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Have you seen those eyes??? Jeepers, they scare the living daylights out of me!!! :D

But I don't play at a community centre and paying $200 for 13 weeks for once a week means that I pay $15.40 per session (not including costs of shuttles). Granted that I can play for as long as I want to. Still, I will probably drop in once every so often ;)

#193 Winex West Can, Apr 28, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2003
  14. TTT

TTT Regular Member

I've pretty much decided that I'm gonna join VRC... :)
    It might be my second home from now on....hehe

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    VRC and clubs are a lifestyle choice

Please - when you consider joining the VRC, you need to take into consideration that it is a lifestyle change. Once you become a member and get acquainted there will be a new wide range of options open to you to enjoy the sport. You cannot really equate it to a per-drop-in rate. If you do still keep that mentality, then really the VRC and other dedicated sport clubs really is not for you. Save your money and spend it on the community center drop-ins.

Not all members that join feel comfortable at the club. Saturday nights are generally more free ranging with more drop-ins. Newbies do often get frustrated with trying to fit in the club culture on other nights. Not all players will enjoy or take advantage of the various evening events and options for playing.

So just be sure to take that into consideration, so that you won't be disappointed and come off with a bad experience...

16. 15Love

15Love Regular Member

software developer, lab tech
    I totally agree with Badrad. Many new members do not have good experiences at the club because they expect the same things as they would in a community drop in centre. It is generally more difficult to get games if one just drops in at the VRC on weeknights without pre-arranging the games with others.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Too bad, could not make it on last Saturday. Are there any plans for the next one? :D

18. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Thank you badrad, 15Love and timeless for the valuable information!

19. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    thank me by not complaining about the vrc or getting upset with the way things work there. i can almost garantee you will feel some frustration when you first venture into the other playing times during the week.

also, you can do all club members including yourself a big favour when you join by following and helping to enforce the rules. the rules are designed to ensure club members have a safe and equal environment to play in. it's YOUR club.