Need help to become Badminton Monster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Pavlito79, Jan 25, 2022.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Interesting to see what others think but the "E" here looks interesting.. maybe your elbow shouldn't be pointing so forwards there.

There are some problematic demonstrations online with elbow pointing forwards. Did you see a demonstration that did that?

Other than seeing a demonstration like that, it can also happen from having your contact point not far out to the side enough.

And once your contact point is further out to the side so more outside the shoulder than you have it, then a forehand grip will make more sense . It's possible you don't even have a forehand grip there, though as mentioned. Interesting to see what others think.

[​IMG]

#281 ralphz, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024
  2. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

So I understand my hitting point is to close to my body . Need stretch arm more to the side ?

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

that's what i'm suggesting you try, yes

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

i'd just point out one other thing though not suggesting you address it now.. But you are cutting it here. The racket face is pointing not straight forwards, but moving straight forwards. My main point with that statement that you're cutting it, is it's good to be able to spot that in a video..

There are also sounds that relate to degrees of cut / degrees of hitting through. and sounds for mistimings. I'm not an expert on those sounds but i'm just saying it's good to know that.. Some people have better ears for it than others.

if you were to ask "why".. i can't give a great answer off the cuff.. overhead is very complex, and when your elbow position changes then things can change too. and there might be various ways to not cut it , but whether those ways are good technique or not is another matter, and they might just be compensating for an earlier thing being wrong.. so it's a complex thing.. so just saying if you were to ask why, I can't give a great answer to that.. But just saying it's good to be able to spot a cut and it's spottable there.

And right now my suggestion for thing to try, is what I mentioned in the previous post. And that's a separate point to this one about spotting that you are cutting it here. (And not to say you were cutting it in all of them but you were in this one)

[​IMG]

Note- since you ask why more. I'd add. Beyond what I said on it I'd add - Lack of consciousness of what you are doing with your racket. Even top players can cut it unintentionally sometimes.

Really if somebody hits the shuttle somewhere they didn't intend and asks a coach why and the coach says well your racket was facing there, or your racket was facing here and you swung here.. and you ask why you did that.. well at that point you have to ask yourself that question! As you become more conscious that you did it you can more easily change it by practising the swing with the racket facing and swinging where you intend.

And as I said, the point of me mentioning the cutting was so you know and can see it from your video. For your awareness of it.

#284 ralphz, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    No. Your upper body leans to the left a bit so that your right shoulder can reach higher.

SnowWhite likes this.
  6. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

try replacing the racket with a shuttlecock or a ball. essentially throwing a ball, angled up roughly 45 degress, and compare that to your overhead hitting action to determine where your hitting elbow/arm should be throughout the stroke. been trying to get @Mason to do that whenever he asks for feedback, but he never managed to show us a clip of this exercise.

7. Mason

Mason Regular Member

………….

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yes that's a good idea and would help illustrate what I said to him. Throwing a ball with a racket arm and seeing where the elbow/arm is.

Also on a related note, i've often thought it's not a bad idea to be able to self feed and throw a thing up with the non-racket arm, but it takes some skill to do it , like a tennis serve. I've thought of getting some trainig on doing a tennis serve to be able to do that self feed! Badminton for some reason some speak of it not being a good idea to self feed(maybe if and 'cos they can't do it / can't do it well!). But it's a heck of a skill for those that can do it well, and so useful.

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Use a squash ball and wall if you want the ball back

Simeon likes this.
  10. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Coaches do it for feeding but I'm not sure what the utility value would be beyond that from throwing the shuttle up compared to hitting it high up with the racket?

Pavlito's feeding machine trumps that though. I'm not sure swinging a racket for practice makes sense when you've got a feeding machine and can get instant feedback on your stroke and feel the difference in timing and contact point. It's an expensive tool which is designed for exactly that purpose.

#290 UkPlayer, Feb 9, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    In fact Pavlito, why don't you try lending out your expensive machine to a coach in return for coaching? It doesn't make sense to me that you own a Siboasi but are dry swinging a racket.

Simeon likes this.
  12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

A lot of feeding machines are terrible and unrealistic..But can be OK for feeding in some scenarios. I even saw a huge one that must have been very expensive, that was erratic in its feeding besides that it being a bit low power. And a cheap one is so weak it has to be on the same side of the court as the player in order to get it to the back, which affects the trajectory, and can be erratic on top of that, inconsistent in terms of "power"/length of the already very low power feed. And it might have to be placed very high as well as near, in order to reach the back.. and the trajectory kind of unrealistic on top of erraticness.

As for mention of self feeding.. I think it's a useful skill to have. I don't think self feeding is useful IF somebody doesn't have the skill of self feeding. A very low percentage of people have the skill of self feeding. Even a very low percentage of people that have great backhand clears can self feed. So we are talking of a very low percentage within a very low percentage! And I think if somebody is learning basic racket skills then they shouldn't bother working on the skill of self feeding. It's a difficult skill. I don't know if one might take issue with the trajectory for a person self feeding, but a skilled person won't have any erraticness in it at least. Somebody good at self feeding can have the shuttle exactly where they want it.

#292 ralphz, Feb 10, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  13. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    He's got a siboasi either an s3025/h7 or 4025, or whatever the equivalent is under a different brand. You can see in his video it's feeding the shuttle from low behind the service line and gets the shuttle high and deep.

It's an excellent machine. Most players would love to have one. He should go hit with it as much as possible in my opinion. The drying swinging looks like a backwards step from what he was doing on court.

If he uses a 120g training racket carefully it may help to correct his technique also.

But really just an hour or two coaching on it would help him immensely at this point.

#293 UkPlayer, Feb 10, 2024
    ralphz likes this.
  14. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Yeah looking here I think his elbow isn't pointed forwards here, whereas in the dry swing it was. So he's doing a good illustration here (rightly), of not having the elbow pointed forwards.

[​IMG]

and some milliseconds layer in the swing also we see elbow not pointing forwards (so, good). This is in line with your observation that his dry swing(off court) is a step back from his on court swings.

[​IMG]

Normally a training racket is used when somebody has the right technique, (or what they think at the time is the right technique!), and is just trying to increase muscular(/I suppose tendon/ligament too) strength in that..

#294 ralphz, Feb 10, 2024
    UkPlayer likes this.
  15. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    It is and it will do that too which is also useful! But when I tried one for overheads I found it forces me to adopt correct technique to some extent. When you are using something heavier you have to have good technique to hit the shuttle properly.

But yes, it's just a suggestion for something he may want to try rather than a you must absolutely do this.

Badminton insight uses a squash racket in some drills to improve strength, although this is a backhand one. But it's suggested for drills when learning the technique.

Of course use carefully and sparingly to avoid injury!

#295 UkPlayer, Feb 11, 2024
    ralphz likes this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We used a squash racquet for my daughter when she was about six years old to train overhead technique. She would shadow the technique and I would stand behind her making sure that she would do the throwing technique fairly correctly. When the racquet head was pulled / thrown forward, I made sure it was in a roughly forward direction without angling left or right.

She would also throw it the head of the racquet forward towards a wall (our sports centre has cushioning on the wall). The point of impact against the wall would be roughly where you would hit the shuttle and therefore in front of the body in line with the right shoulder. She could then see if the racquet head ended face on at the point of hitting the wall.

We only used the squash racquet for the over head stroke at that time. No other strokes. It was not used to train power, it was used to train technique. We didn’t do lots of repetitions either. One set of reps with squash racquet and then one set with an ordinary racquet.

17. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Makes me question actually why some say to only use it for strength and not when one doesn't have technique, and yeah maybe 'cos they're worried about injury risk..

But as you imply, it can be used safely, no question.

And it's rarely said but the fact is there are a lot of poor techniques that are very safe! So yeah can be safely learnt when somebody's technique isn't yet "right".

The other "argument" I heard when somebody was using a training racket, is that if you practise it wrong you'd end up doing it wrong, but that applies whether using a training racket or not.

So I agree with you it's fine for this purpose.

I have heard of some people using a tennis racket or squash racket (or I suppose could be a training racket), for a backhand overhead clear. For probably a similar justification for your suggestion of it on forehand overhead. (elements of the technique are easier to feel with a heavier racket)

#297 ralphz, Feb 11, 2024
  18. akatsuki2104

akatsuki2104 Regular Member

I used a training racket (130g) to correct my overhead technique. I tried to be as relaxed as possible. If done correctly, it should feel effortless (kinetic chain) instead of muscle effort

19. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

Yes I noticed a cut or head racket not consistent flat when I swing. I dunno if that is reason of my poor technique or bad prep or my grip is not right ?

20. Pavlito79

Pavlito79 Regular Member

I will try do next time need find a ball and try video myself from different angles , recently bit busy and work is mad so not a lot of time for practice.