my guess at the olympic champions

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by Gade supporter, Mar 27, 2004.

1. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

finally someone would mention his name :D he's my fave!!!he's progressing really well..and improving quite fast! Lin Dan is also a tough match since he tops the ibf rank!

Go Sony!!!I hope before the olympics he would have enhanced his skills n techniques.If he wins the gold medal..i'll prolly jump around n scream like a nutcase:D sorry..im just a really big fan of him.smack me on the head pls!kekekeke...:eek:

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    SDK is Sony Dwi Kuncoro, right? What is MSN? Microsoft Network?

3. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

kekeke..yep!!! well..MSN is my name btw..kekeke!! i feel so embarassed now..HAHAHAH..the last one N is my chinese surname N_ .:p

4. Go Gade

Go Gade Regular Member

MS: Lin Dan/Gade
    WS: Gong Ruina/Zhou Mi
    MD: J. Rasmussen and L. Paaske/Fu and Cai
    WD: Gao/Huang
    XD: Kim/Ra (100%):D

5. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    I think:

MS:Gold:LinDan;Another Chinese player or Taufik or PeterGade for Silver

WS:Gold:ZhangNing or Gongruina(Mia or Caimilla may get the Silver)

MD:Gold:JR/PR or KIM/HA or CAI/FU or CHONG/LEE or ALVERN/LULUK

WD:Gold:GAO/HUANG; YANG/ZHANG or RA/LEE for Silver

XD:Gold:KIM/RA; ZHANG/GAO or ROBERSON/EMMS or KIM/LEE or NOVA/MARISA for silver

6. Gade supporter

Gade supporter Regular Member

After Thomas cup Lin Dan is definetely the favourite for the olympic gold medal. There hasnt been a player who have beaten Lin Dan since German open where Lee Hyun Il won, I know that Bao Chunlai beat him in the Japan open semifinal, but I see that match as a friendly gesture from Lin Dan to Bao, or maybe it was said to Lin by Li Yongbo that he should lose so Bao could get a few points on his way to Athen.

Then who is back to beat Lin : well the player who has had the biggest chance of beating Lin must be Gade, lets look on the games from Swiss open to Thomas cup : in Swiss open Gade was leading with a lot of points, but lost the set by 17-15, and was totally burned out in the second and is I remember he lost 15-4. Then there was All England final Gade won the first by 15-9, then he lost the second by 15-4 and the third by 15-8 because he had a lack of stamina. Then there was Japan open Gade won first set 15-9 then he lost the second by 15-9 after he was leading by 8-1 and he lost the third with 15-9 again. Then there last meeting in thomas cup Lin won the first set by 15-8, then Gade was leading 13-9 in the second but lost with 15-13, but in that match Gade was suffering from a stomach ache. Has he learned his lesson when he arrives in Greece, only time will tell.

Iam looking forward to watch the draw when it is published. If we say Li Yongbo picks Lin, Bao and Xia.

I hope the draw will be like this

Lin the first seed will be in group with 5-8 seed Shon

Lee Hyun Il 4 seed in group with 5-8 seed Xia

Bao Chunlai 3 seed in group with 5-8 seed Sony

Wong 2 seed in group with 5-8 seed Peter Gade

That will then be the quarterfinals (I dont think Taufik is that big a thread to the 8 above so he lost to one of them in 1 or 2 round)

then the semifinals:

Lin-Xia
    Bao-Gade

final

Lin-Gade

Gade will get his revenge and a good tournament to get revenge that is my hopes what is yours?

7. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

I do agree the one that can really give a hard time to Lin Dan is Peter Gade... Their matches are always stretched to the 3rd set, though this may be Lin Dan's tactics to tire him out... Peter gade has been vastly improving and i can see Lin Dan having problems to beat him, although the winner is always Lin Dan... Peter does stand a great chance.... The fact that the Olympics is held in Athens may be an advantage for him as the danes always performed better in Europe... He has the skill, experience,(probably should work on his mental strength and physical fitness) and the determination to avenge his defeat...

But every other player has a shot at the gold medal...anything may happen...

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You should never dismiss Taufik like that. Nobody would like to play him in the early rounds, including Lin Dan. Besides Taufik, there are many unseeded players who can take the gold if lucky. Players like Ronald Susilo, Boonsak Ponsana, Kenneth Jonassen, Lee Chong Wei, Park Tae Sang and a few more. You never can be sure nowadays.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I think Gade can only progress further if the draw allows him to avoid Lin Dan and Wong Choon Han at the quarterfinals. He hasn't beaten Choon Han for ages now.

Taufik is good, but people say he is a "jaguh kampung" (hometown hero) cos he plays well mostly in Indonesia. Quite true too. Sony has a better chance then Taufik as far as Indonesia is concerned.

For M'sia, Choon Han is the best bet (but need to get over phobia of losing against certain players). Like Kenneth Jonassen, Roslin's style of play won't win gold but he could go far. Lee Chong Wei is actually the best player to counter Lin Dan (almost beat him in TC qualifiers), but he's hopeless against Chen Hong/Xuanze or even Gade/Sony. Not strong enough mentally. Too bad Hafiz didn't qualify, he has the best mental strength, but is still discovering his form after injury.

As I see it, only these guys can win gold:-

1. Lin Dan/Xia Xuanze/Chen Hong (but not Bao Chunlai)
    2. Wong Choon Han
    3. Sony Dwi Kuncoro
    4. Peter Gade
    5. Boonsak Polsana (remote chance - but has been known to be a one tournament wonder)
    6. Lee Hyun Il (needs to rediscover form)

10. SteveStanley

SteveStanley Regular Member

I doubt it that Gade can win the Olympics, sometimes he's still inconsistent and gets nervous, he must build his confidence if he wants to win. Lin Dan was probably at his peak in the last Thomas Cup, if he can maintain it, he could win, otherwise he'll fail as the pressure is too much. Other players like Wong, Sony, Xia, Taufik, etc. have equal chance to win, the draws matter.

11. candra W

candra W Regular Member

for the singles i'm hoping for Taufik, but I'm quite sure he wont make.i'm also quite sure that Lin Dan will go home with the gold medal. the siver medal can go to anybody.

Mens doubles : Cai/Fu or Lee Wan wah and his partner. I'm hoping for Luluk/Alven but they are just to young. Maybe in 4 years

Girls singles : Gong Ruina

Girls doubles : Goa ling & ... (forgot her name)

mixed doubles : it would be just unfair if Kim/Ra didnt get gold, they diserve this more then anyone

Too bad candra isnt going to Athens.... :( destiny sucks (he didnt play the german open, and had a severe sickness just a week before the all england) also poor for him that the copenhagen masters didnt gave him the ranking points he needed.
    poor ending of his career. such a great player, such a hard worker, such a great attitude, such a great friend...

He is a great example for all badminton players
    -Candra forever-

12. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

I share the same feelings as you for Candra... not forgetting halim...and i believe many of us here do... He is a very respectable player and one of my favourite players :D ... but i guess luck was not on his side... :( one of the chinese player will suffer the same fate... but i hope he can stay on at least for two more years... with Kim DM retiring after the Athens :( :( ,he is the only player that i truly enjoy watching (sorry, my grammar is a bit... :( )

13. ShaSha

ShaSha Regular Member

MS: Xia Xuanze/ Bao Chunlai
    MD: Kim/Ha
    WS: Zhang Ning/Zhou Mi
    WD:Gao Ling/Huang Sui
    XD:Kim/Ra

14. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    i share the same sentiment as u........ *sigh*
    maybe he will go malaysia open before olympics starts n u can c go n him :D

15. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I can't really see how Gade can reattain that form that made him world #1 for two years running many years ago after such a long injury lay off as well as stop-go results ever since returning to the fray. He has a lot to do to go up against the supremely fit young guns such as Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai, Sony, Taufik, Lee CW for example. He has the touch, that is well agreed but whether he can last the battle as long as his younger compatriots is another matter.

Not to mention that other 'old' player such as Wong CH, Xia XZ, Chen Hong are neither playing in the dumps either, as each are very much still quite competitive. Gade can survive perhaps one or two of such major battles, but perhaps not the next. As said in the other thread comparing to why Gade finds it hard to beat Lin Dan, his speed had decreased. If TC matches were to be used as a yardstick, he'd crash in his second meeting with major players of the singles scene.

Peter is highly skilled and a great player. I'd love to see him square up against another supreme competitor in the finals.
    However, he is no longer 24 or 25. Fitness and time is not on his side.

My pick is still on less heralded talents, thus I go for Sony, if not Lin Dan.

16. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    ms ... lin dan ( if goin ) or xuanze or peter gade
    md... either jonas n co / tan fook n wan wah ?? / cai yun n hai feng
    ws.. gong ruina
    wd ... chinese pair or korean
    xd .. ra kyun min n kim dong moon

all more than 1 .. HAHA

17. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student