MP99 crack after re-string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Yozza, Nov 11, 2003.

1. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i have a yonex iso97vf, it was my first racket. i cracked it while i was attempting to string it on a tennis stringing machine. my boss has strung badminton rackets on it before. but either way, i couldn't get to a certain hole for a cross string so i had to lossen the bottom clamp in order to get to it and yeah.... it broke. the crack is at the 2:45 area, but it hasn't gone through. so i was just wondering if someone could tell me the process of repairing it so that maybe i can repair it myself perhaps use it again.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    the cost to repair it may be close to the worth of a new vf97.
    I have strung (22 lbs) a really cheapo racket (70g, not karakal) that had a 7/8" (22mm) longitutual crack at 2 oclock position. It can be done*

* i'm not soliciting anything here i hope;)

post a pic if u can.

#22 cooler, Nov 12, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  3. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    i'll see what i can do about posting a pict

if the trick to repairing the racket is heat, then i can do it myself. i have a blowtorch at home and a soldering machine. if i attempt it, lets make sure i dont burn down the house :p

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    repost

i didnt know yonex NZ repair racket.
    the disease affects any racquet but less likely for AT. Since the stringer is sheriff ****, ur AT didnt stand a chance.

5. samohtom

samohtom Regular Member

stringing

From the look of the photos it looks like superficial damage. If the frame was cracked I'd expect the cracks to run in a direction perpendicular to that which they do. You can get graphite frame repairs done at a cost of £15 ish but the racquet will never be the same again and if it's superficial anyway why bother? I string racquets locally in Cambridge btw. Ask around at the local league clubs about Tom and you'll probably be able to find me (hope that wasn't breaking the rules site support - I didn't directly give my contact details, but the guy clearly needs a decent stringer!).

6. Yozza

Yozza Regular Member

Wow, this thread is still floating around...

Incidently, I managed to break my MP99 today... :( The frame just snapped at the 10 and 2 o' clock positions either side after a overhead follow through hit my left leg slightly. It wasn't a strong blow either or I'd be in pain by now :rolleyes:. Presumably related to the poor stringing as mentioned in my initial post in the thread which weakened the frame. Unfortunately, I had to use the same stringer again (from the Hobbs Sports place in the town centre) on the MP99 since the first post due to the lack of stringers in Cambridge, or at least me not knowing many around here.

Some pictures here and here. Not a pretty sight :(

samohtom, I'd be most interested in your stringing services in the future (presumably you're competent... haha... ;) j/k. No worries). Which clubs do you frequent in Cambridge? I'd be grateful if you could PM me with contact details in case I require your services sometime in the future. Actually, I've currently got an AT700 that needs re-stringing...

7. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

I usually get my racquet done in reading before returning to cambs, but here is a post with the name of a stringer:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14945&highlight=cambridge+stringer
    Not had the pleasure of his services before, so can't guarantee anything.

jl

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    mmm...i've strung a few times with topspin, the racquets were all done sub 23lbs, but all came out fine, no deformations or anything:)

btw, tom, do u operate out of the frank lee centre, or is that someone else?