LWW/CTF : So close yet so near

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by YelSttr, May 6, 2007.

1. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Nobody says that CTF/LWW is useless. We're here talking about the thread on 'so near yet so far'. I DID mention about being CONSISTENT as in SURVIVING and being able to stay competitive throughout the years, it's just that they never win big, even when leading a huge margin like mentioned here before. Do not get me wrong, they CAN STILL be countable on team events and certainly more. It's just that, they need to buck up on their finishing. Don't you feel frustrated as a fan, when u r so eager to see your idols winning, and yet they missed out the match points? :cool:

2. Indah

Indah Regular Member

Nope, I donnt get frustrated. Because I know for you they just dont have what it takes.

3. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

even this thread name is wrong. what does this thread title means? if you are frustrated seeing LWW/CTF losing in final, will you be frustrated till death if KKK/TBH lose in first round??

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

I don't want to stoke the fire, but if you say you only deal with the present, then how far do you go back? I honestly can't see the difference in their Yearly average from before LWW was injured and now. In fact they are probably worse now.

Advice-very difficult, I have stated many times before in various threads that Skills and technical abilities are far easier to learn and develop than Mental Ability. IMO in the Nature Vs Nurture debate there is elements of both, but the influence of the element has different bias for example (IMO):

Speed: Nature 60% Nurture 40%
    Skills (eg. Footwork, strokework): Nature 20% Nurture 80%

Mental: 90% Nature 10% Nurture.

To summarise my advice, there is very little they can do to influence their choking. It is natural to them as a pair and they can improve it, but cannot eradicate it. They are destined to become perennial Runner-ups.

5. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with you, the main reason Rexy decided to keep Lee/Choong is becasue they are still performing well and most probably will qualify for the Olympic too. Even though Rexy has brought up many new young pairs but only KKK/TBH actally has major impact and won few titles. Lee/Choong has been a work horse for team Malaysia for so long and should have, could have won more titles with tougher mentality. We should realize and appreciate Lee/Choong contribution especially at their age. Lee/Choong may not win more titles in future tournaments but still more than capable to help his team mates in "clearing path" in any tournament, more like Chen Yu does for team China. As much as I hate to see Lee/Choong often "so close yet so far" scenario, they are still better than those who expect to go deep and lost in early round.

6. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

yes, brother. you hit the right spot accurately. Lee/Choong is the secret underground digger for Malaysia who digs the path for other Malaysia doubles to go through. Lee/Choong still provides good sparring session for others too. furthermore, their game is the most stable that i had ever seen among malaysian players. they has the experience. we must appreciate Lee/Choong. right now, they are enjoying badminton at their age. more to come from them.

7. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

After watching the video, I have to thank LWW/CTF for showing one of the best MD matches ever !!! Their defense is just stunningly solid, I say the best I have ever seen in many years. If this pair were 3 years younger, I have no doubt they would beat Fu/Cai, or anyone today, in straight sets. I just wish they were few years younger.

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    The thing is though, and this is my point, 3 years ago, 5 years ago they were the same. They were awesome for parts of the game, soaking up the pressure from opponents attacks, and counterattacking to devastating at the net, with LWW at the net and CTF smashing at the back they were unplayable at points in matches, but they still didn't do it.

9. yuqiu

yuqiu Regular Member

IMO, this is the best MD match since this 21 points system is introduced. Would have been sweetest for me and many if the result is reverse. :) :crying:

10. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

That is true, especially when they gave two titles away to the Danes at All England. IMO, one of the reasons is weak defense, none of them could return deadly smashes that Jens delivered.

However, they seem to have improve lately. This is not the same defence 3 or 5 years ago. They might be weaker in attacks, but defense is definitely much better than before.

I think Rexy must have done something to them.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It could be a phenomena called "regression to the mean".:p

12. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

LWW/CTF has done reasonably well considering their age. They may not be no. 1 but can certainly be relied on many occasions. Just look at them during last yr's Thomas Cup. Didn't they contribute a point when the MAS single failed ? Geez, it's just so difficult to please everyone.

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Many are traitors and lousy fans, they forget their heroes. If we have a 'memorial for our badminton heroes, they could very well spit on it'.:D

14. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Exactly, their loses are due to their weak mentality. They just could not finish up the game and bring home the title. No finishing!

Some said that they lost in SO due to age. I would not say so. If i am not mistaken, JE/ML were still winning major titles when they were older.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    well, if they win their matches in INA Open, cai/fu will meet lww/ctf again in the quarter final. Let pause and wait couple of days and see a re-match:)

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The more they play the more they even out, law of averages. So we expect LWW-CTF to return the favour.:D

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    KKK and TBH took their lost against their counterpart seriously. Both of them played their hearts out and much better than how they played in the ABC finals.
    Rexy was not angry with them.. just that Tazari and partner played better and capitalise on KKK TBH's weaknesses.
    When they lost, they just sat down and talk to each other for about 20mins or so. From what i can see so far their attitude towards the game has changed for better. Of course they are not perfect...have to still improve in terms of mental and physical.

18. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    As for LWW CTF.. they did acknowledge that they lost a golden opportunity. Its not that they take the lost likely. They know what happened that cost them the Championship. But they have a better understanding on their game now and the future. They will still play their best.

19. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

thanks for the info ants.
    hope both pairs will do well in IO n in the future too
    though they lost, ctf/lww proved tat they are still good.
    all the best to them
    mas boleh
    hehe

#159 cheeyf, May 9, 2007
    Last edited: May 9, 2007
  20. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

if we talk about skills rather than composure, LWW/CTF definitely have powerful smash and excellent defense. their weakness in composure is the inability to finish off matches at matchpoint. if they are more patient, they will definitely win during matchpoints. waiting for the rematch in indonesia open very soon.