KUMAMOTO MASTERS JAPAN 2023

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Baddyforall, Nov 13, 2023.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Prannoy has defeated Viktor multiple times. That statement is bit exaggerated though. Viktor lost to different players atleast once in recent times. Even lost to Guy from Taiwan as well. That's not the point. Beating in normal tournaments where we definitely know it is impossible for Top players to give everything due to many reasons . But they are very well prepared for World championships or olympics. So, it is considered as very good for Prannoy to beat Viktor in his home soil for the medal ( quarters). Even Steen was mentioning in his commentary on that day that Viktor was nervous about that match. There is no way I can recall that Viktor could be nervous of a particular match at any time in recent times. Maybe prannoy's game is uneasy for Viktor to play.
    Dont take youtube comments to your head. Every country have few people who exaggerate things like that. You know , Indonesian crowd are even more crazy in YouTube.

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Maybe, to a certain extent, enough to affect CYF's endurance and hence accuracy in the second half of each set while keeping pace in the first half. It seemed to me CYF was playing mostly textbook shots mechanically half the time with little variation, and when the shots kept coming back, she struggled to cope physically and errors crept in as a result.

OTOH, we never know which GMT would turn up - the one who when she's good, she's very good, superb (remember she beat Akane Yamaguchi twice in a row), and when she's "bad", she's just so-so, even mediocre sometimes.

Yup, GMT is unpredictable, inconsistent, luckily for the top few WS as GMT on her day is able to stop anyone of them in their track, Akane Y, Chen YF , next, ASY?

Frankly, we've still to see how GMT fare in the tournaments ahead before we come to any conclusions about her ascent to the top, or just a flash in the pan.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Right, I share your sentiment, more or less.

Perhaps, CYF after her effortful and morale-boosting victory over ASY yesterday felt as if her job was already done and just couldn't fully tune in to this final match with GMT. Such happenings are not that uncommon, in my opinion.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Me too, I've been waiting and waiting...

5. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Compared to the week before, he was moving particularly well to the net this week, and his defense was more solid too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. viver

viver Regular Member

I think probably this is a good probability. She did try to vary the game but her speed and positioning was not the best. CYF tried a more aggressive approach but did not work, maybe physical fitness or still needs more work - compare her smashes and follow-up with those of ASY's the day before. GMT was great, love to see her counter-attacks and options at net, they are really great when works. Hope GMT be able to be more consistent and we will have another player to fight for the top place.

At this point, I don't see LSF able to beat VA. He needs to work on his transitions and improve his defence - and more variations in his attacks.

SYQ on the other hand, if willing to commit himself he should be China's no. 1 singles player by a certain distance. If he could improve his fitness and consistency, I think we should see him a regular in the more advanced phases of the tournaments.

skhai91 likes this.
  7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

She has skills to beat anyone, but also can lose anyone.

Nishimoto can be her "male version".

It's pity to see Nishimoto missing WTFs ticket again.

8. thiwul

thiwul Regular Member

tunjung's feet are like this and she still beat jupe easily

9. thiwul

thiwul Regular Member

don't forget she beat sindu 21-8 21-8 too

[​IMG]

10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

I feel like you are one of trollers who try to provoke people . I thought it is not worth to reply you. But still, I have to say for your self pride, Sindhu didn't play this tournament .

11. thiwul

thiwul Regular Member

did you say in your post that tunjung struggle to beat sindu? why she beat sindu easily then? she beat sindu in spain master. not here. did i say here?

where did i troll? i just tell the fact

[​IMG]

#331 thiwul, Nov 19, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  12. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

What was impressive about Tunjung’s victory is she went through the whole Kumamoto without dropping a set.

13. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Just checked the scores. What a weird progression. In her first 3 rounds, 5 of 6 games were 2 point difference wins. Then semi 21-12 21-13 and final 21-12, 21-12.

14. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Yeah, you’re right, seem she was playing herself into form,
    I didn’t see her earlier games but noticed how lethal she was against Beiwen Zhang in the semifinals,
    she popped her into a cockhat with her deceptions and accuracy,
    I quietly expected a CYF win but she did her too, she deserved her win.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

At this point, maybe, maybe not, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating - you never know till they meet, and that not just once , at least a couple of times.

Even then, Li Shifeng is still developing and maturing as a player, hasn't reached his full potential yet. Also, in comparison with SYQ, let's not forget that LSF has proven himself twice so far by beating SYQ in the two titles that matter, both prestigious and coveted, almost the equivalent of major title status according to many, namely, the All England early this year and the recently concluded Asian Games.

Perhaps, SYQ who is resurgent may return to his former best prior to his almost one-year hiatus but whether he can raise his game another level is a different matter altogether. I'd say the same applies to Momota's resurgence. Let's wait and see.

16. viver

viver Regular Member

Yes, LSF is doing quite well, at 23 age is on his side and will have a bit more time to improve and mature. SYQ on the other hand is already a made player with some 'issues' that needs work. The match with VA, he pretty much neutralized VA with his play - we can say VA did the same, which in my opinion they are about on the same level. Of course, with SYQ there is always a big question mark how he will play which you can only know during the match.

From what I know, China used to select players based on their success rate against external opposition. It's not uncommon to see players that dominate internally but never selected to represent the Chinese team for international competitions. It may have changed, but will see.

Justin L likes this.
  17. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

That’s an interesting observation.

18. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

The euphoria of the Kumamoto master will soon be over, now amidst the high expectations of INA badminton fans for Gregoria, will she be able to perform consistently? If not, all praise will turn into insults in an instant, that is the reality of Indonesian netizens.

19. Hassefar60

Hassefar60 Regular Member

I expect all countries to select like this. However, China may be the only place where internal success rate could choose differently.

20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Actually, this is or was an open secret, for example, Wang Shixian was dropped from the 2012 London Olympics in favour of Li Xuerui whose fairytale rise to stardom with her all-conquering winning streak (only dropping one match in-between) during the Olympic cycle all the way to winning the Olympic gold, thus vindicating the coaching team's decision (with the Head Coach bearing the brunt of the consequences should things go awry).

Suilven likes this.