KLRC New Zealand Open Draws

Discussion in 'New Zealand Open 2007 / Pan American Open 2007' started by phaarix, May 13, 2007.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    BWF must and should have a standard procedure for accepting entries.

BWF policies and conditions must be transparent and the member organizations of the various countries must adhere to these without being confused. It is their resposibilty to convey them to the professional players, whether they are independent or otherwise.

It must be true that certain member organizations must be found wanting and quite rightly you need courageous players like Roslin to expose their ineptitide and inefficiency, otherwise they will not be able to get justice done. By highlighting the problem, other member organizations are put on notice and will have to be on their toes not to make such mistakes that could jeopardize the livelihood of professional players. It will be grossly unfair to them. :rolleyes:

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I think BWF don't have a channel for players, only for national associations. I think BWF need to modernise and be a cross between an association for badminton professionals and a federation of national associations.

In tennis, we have ATP and WTA, both associations for professionals, responsible for most tournaments. The ITF is mainly only in-charge of inter-national tournaments like Davis Cup, Fed Cup, Olympics etc.

Badminton could also have a breakaway professional tour. In fact, this nearly happened in the 80s but I am not certain of details. For BWF to avoid this, they need to start catering to individual players while still remaining a federation of national associations. I think it's easier said than done, but I believe it's in the right direction.

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I thought badminton has a professional players association (PPA) which could make the appropriate representation to the BWF or the national associations.

I don't know how active or credible this PPA is but little is heard of them.

It is not surprising if the membership rate of the PPA is low and if this is the case, then the official bodies may not take them too seriously.

So it may be a case of the PPA having to do something about itself now that the Super Series has taken off as a more rewarding tournament which could become better. The PPA may be able to give their input on a fairer distribution of the prizes and on related matters on players' welfare, etc.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-As in..

..similar to a Players' Union??...i think there is one similar, although not sure how much influence they have with BWF, called BPF(Badminton Players Federation), which is headed by Bobby Milroy (you can check out their infos, in the link, under 'About BPF')...There could also be "players union" under different national associations..;)

#24 ctjcad, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 22, 2007