India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

WHat is the prize money for quarterfinalists and semifinalists in the national championships?

2. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Srikanth Kidambi beats Lakshya Sen in 2 games. Lakshya gave a good fight and played well. I was surprised to see Lakshya picking a lot of Srikanth's overhead smashes which even top players struggle to read. Another surprise was him returning the smashes as he is physically much weaker than Srikanth.This was a glimpse of Lakshya and what you can expect when he turns 18-19. Indian MS looks very healthy! :)

3. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I sure hope so, Lakshya looks so interesting as a player, but I have seen far too many Indian juniors go into the wilderness for one reason or another (Eg: Prannoy, he only became a true world beater this year, before that he was in the badminton world wilderness). I hope the Indian training staff take good care of him, keeping him injury free will be the most important thing. Maybe having him play senior events at such a young age is not the best thing for that because of the higher level of physicality?

badmuse likes this.
  4. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

What happened? Sumeeth reddy got warning from umpire , shown yellow card

5. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Ruthvika Shivani Gadde is a game up against Sindhu at the moment, whatever happens in this match from now on, she has earned herself a lot of opportunities, and if she makes use of them, she definitely has it in her to be the next great Indian player

6. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

PV Sindhu takes 3 games to beat Ruthvika Shivani Gadde. Ruthvika needed to win in 2 games, was always going to be an uphill battle in game 3.
    She can take confidence from this match and perform on the circuit. Ruthvika age 20 has to take her chances now as there are a pack of youngsters coming up. Will be much tougher to stand out in 2020.

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

#2467 badmuse, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Young shuttlers were thrilled and happy to play with the stars of Indian badminton at the Senior Nationals. It has energised, motivated and given them high quality match exposure. :)

9. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Lakshya Sen knows he has to work on strength, endurance, fitness. He also has a lot of work to do in sharpening his skills. Lakshya was happy he got a chance to play Srikanth. :)

Link: http://www.espn.in/badminton/story/...match-lessons-nationals-loss-kidambi-srikanth
    Excerpt:

In the first game, the former world junior No 1 seemed a touch tentative going for drops or half-smashes instead of full-throttle smashes. Srikanth too offered him little room to express himself, playing shallow lifts before eventually going on to prevail 21-16, 21-18.

A peek into their early years and it's hard to miss some common strands running through their lives - both following an older sibling into the sport, playing some doubles and not exactly fitness fanatics. While Srikanth has long pushed past the latter barrier, Lakshya admits he needs to add strength and conditioning for his body to weather big days like these.

"I knew all along that Srikanth wasn't going to give me any easy points. So I tried to keep the shuttle in as much as I could and didn't put too much pressure on myself," Lakshya reflected later. "Just the way Srikanth dribbles and the power in his smashes I felt was great. There's a lot I need to work on -- my drops, quick smashes and my rally finishes."

For someone like Lakshya who's far from a talker, travelling coaches stationed at courtside often have to do more than strategize and offer suggestions. They have to dip into mind-reading too and the water breaks between games can often be challenging for them. "We have to keep asking him what's going on in his mind or what assistance he needs," says Sagar Chopda, coach at the Prakash Padukone academy in Bengaluru where Lakshya trains and who's accompanying him in Nagpur. "His usual response is, 'I'm OK bhaiyya (big brother).' That makes it tricky for us. We don't know what to tell him after that." He made an exception on Tuesday. Walking up to Sagar during the second game break Lakshya innocently queried," Bhaiya, main check kar raha hoon kya?" (is it more like I'm checking my strokes). Heeding his coach's word to not hold himself back but play smashes to full power Lakshya reeled off three points in a row.

Starting out as a defensive player, Lakshya re-moulded his game around more attacking play over the past few years. On Tuesday he seemed to be relishing the full-length dives on court and recovering almost immediately to pick the next shuttle on most occasions. He was also aided by a measure of luck in getting to the business end of the tournament with two walkovers, the last one coming in the quarterfinals against an injured Ajay Jayaram when he was up 15-10.

The Almora boy, who Chopda says, can sleep 'anywhere, any time and for any amount of time, is not intimidated by the reputation of his opponents. "He's the kind of boy who's always at peace. He's doesn't overthink situations and isn't scared of competition. In fact he looks forward to matches with the big guys. He knows it's a chance he won't get too often at this stage of his career." Tuesday was a big stage for Lakshya, who admits he'd go back richer in learning and maybe draw some joy from having troubled one of the world's best men's singles players, even if it was for a few fleeting points.

For me it's a great experience," says Lakshya addressing a swarm of journalists," Before today I'd only seen Srikanth play on TV."

nilesh123 likes this.
  10. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Lmao what's happening 11-1, Satwik is 1000 times better than Pranav JC atm it seems. Sikki can't do a thing against Ashwini at net.
    Alas, all hail to their low rankings we don't see much of this action in int'l tourneys

badmuse likes this.
  11. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Pranaav Jerry Chopra needlessly dived and hurt himself. Satwik/Ashwini have extra firepower!

12. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

XD Senior National Champions
    Ashwini Ponappa/Satwik Rankireddy

13. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

MS Senior National Champion
    HS Prannoy

14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

WD Senior National Champions
    Ashwini Ponappa/Sikki Reddy

15. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

MD Senior National Champions
    Manu Attri/Sumeeth Reddy

16. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

The atmosphere is noisy, crowded and great a experience for viewers! :)

samkool likes this.
  17. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Wow, I did not expect Prannoy to win that, I knew he had a chance, but I held Srikanth much higher because of his overall form this year. 21-7 in the third game, means either Srikanth mentally fell apart, or Prannoy had much more stamina than him, because it wasn't close (Most likely Prannoy's stamina and physicality was superior, because Srikanth has shown himself to be very good in three game matches this year

badmuse likes this.
  18. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Atmosphere

19. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Anybody saw what happened at the end of MD, Mannu Attri literally ran like a hungry cat who just saw a mouse as soon as Satwik/Chirag's shot touched the net lol. He didn't even wait for the shuttle to touch the ground, neither to congratulate his partner let alone shake hands with heir worthy opponents
    Well obviously with the recent results "loaded in bag" ( :p ) they were insecure, esp after G1 and this only "possible" title brought "some" joy.
    I mean man show some sportsmanship

20. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    For all those guys watching on the provided link with that horrible clearity, I suggest should switch to DD sports on Jio tv