Fh drive on bh side viable?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Magwitch, Jan 3, 2024.

1. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I'm a member of Badminton Famly. Thomas Laybourn has a module on mid court drives, with one on bh drives on the fh side. I asked him what he thought of the opposite, fh drives on the bh side. He said that was impossible because of wrist position. Well I've tried it in two sessions, and I say mine's awesome! I get that it wouldn't work if stretched wide to the bh, but don't see why it can't work if closer to the body.

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    What do you mean by awesome though? A lot of technique is a tradeoff between power, consistency, accuracy, & ability to react. So if your FH drive on BH side is powerful but you can't position the racket as good as bh for fast exchanges then you're losing something. Depends on the net gain v loss at whatever level you play or intend to play at.

3. Magwitch

Magwitch Regular Member

I suppose if they drove it particularly fast I might not be able to do the shot because of lack of time. The shot is powerful, and with one more session should be unquestionably better than my bh drive.

4. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

maybe 'cos you're in Australia everything's upside down? ;-)

on a more serious note, is this doubles or singles? Maybe you can draw something in mspaint?

are you talking about a drive with a RTH type action?

maybe you can use mspaint to show what you are referring to him doing and what you are referring to you doing.

I recall an old game where my and the guy opposite was in a drives battle and I was standing on the side of the court where my forehand is predominent and driving it back at him and the shuttle could've been either side of me. If a bit to my backhand side while I was on that side of the court, I could have used backhand grip or it RTH when it went to my backhand side. In that instance I used backhand grip for both sides. But I could have crouched and used forehand grip all sides.. Or changed grip re each side.

Magwitch likes this.
  5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    And there's the rub

BH drive in doubles is not typically supposed to be a power shot so much as a reactionary, accurate, and consistent shot.

Banging it on the BH drive can leave you and your partner out of position for the return in a flat fast exchange

So you may have to use your fh equivalent stroke sparingly in situations where you have time, good position, and feel confident of a winner

Magwitch likes this.