1. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Well I just got a real MP99 to go with my fake one so thought I'd take some comparison pics... time to play spot the difference :)

Attached Files:

2. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Having the two makes it easy to spot the differences...

Attached Files:

3. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    This is an easy one to spot...

Attached Files:

4. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    The difference in quality is apparent here...

Attached Files:

5. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Not sure if this one makes a difference - the real one is a UK model, the fake is supposed to be a CH, and I do have a real MP100 SP that doesn't have the white side panels.

Attached Files:

6. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    And finally the kicker... laser etched serial versus printed - seems to be the giveaway every time, at least for newer Yonex models, right?

As for weight, they are very close eachother, the fake one being slightly heaver. That's probably due to the 2 overgrips though. Haven't played with the real one yet, going later tonight, but in fairness the fake is very good to play with, and has been my preferred racquet since I got it.

Attached Files:

7. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Oh yeah, just in case anyone is confused, the real one is on the left in the 1st 2 pics, then on top for the next two, then back on the bottom - sorry, should've mentioned that earlier! The other main difference is that the real one is more an orange/yellow mix rather than the yellower fake - TBH I prefer the latter colour scheme :)

8. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Yup, the real racket looks right like my MP 99 SP except that I cannot see the laser etched serial number on mine because the overgrip was wound to the top of the cone.

Ron

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. i have seen a few of these "CH" rackets. they all appear to be quite similar to the authentic Yonex rackets. most other fakes deliberately make spelling mistakes and other imperfections. but these "CH" rackets are less obvious.

the few things i noticed about them is that they are generally more "glossy" looking and the quality of the paint job is pretty good but not to the quality of Yonex. they all have a holographics sticker right over the date code serial number on the cone.

also, if emjay you have more time, you should also take a pic of the handle end cap. if i am not mistaken, there should be a etched serial number there beginning or ending with SP.

it seems that this type of "CH" rackets has been distributed to many places. i have seen a couple here in the US, there are reports of them in the Philipines and then in the UK.

the ones i saw were MP77.

i am still wondering if these are genuine low quality Yonex or fakes. the more i look at them, the more they look like fakes.

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
  11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

or could it be that more fakes are made in China due to its (relatively) advanced industrial equipment and (realatively) poor management of it, which makes it easy to slip in a few run of fakes without being spotted or for officials to just look the other way.

Another weird thing is that they don't use JP which is more valuable than CH. I guess people might think that it is a fake because they don't see real ones being sold with JP in China usually?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. that adds to the confusion.

there are genuine CH rackets. the one posted in the Yonex KR website looks like a genuine CH racket. notice the serial numbers are of the same weight as the KR racket, while the ones posted by emjay are obviously different.

the counterfeiter may be trying to infiltrate the Chinese Yonex market, so they make the fakes ones to be also "CH".

13. ronk

ronk Regular Member

I was told by a racket shop manager that one way to check for a fake Yonex is to remove the racket grip. The real Yonex has a laser holography under the grip. Needless to say, I have not tested any of my MP rackets to see whether they are real or fake, but all my MP rackets have the muscle power bumps and grommets.

Ron

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nope. not true. i have taken off the grips of my TiSP, Iso900, MP100, cab20, cab22, etc, none of them have a holograph sticker.

15. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

I have a really really old racquet (I think Yoneymama or yonex... not sure) that has a holographic sticker in the cone. It's a steel shaft & wood head/handle racquet in the oval shape. Frame is painted red with white. I could be mistaken though since I haven't used that in 7-8 years (I've had that for well over a decade or so now... i think it used to belong to my dad or grandfather...)

16. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Here's a pic of the end caps... there are some subtle differences I guess; the real one (on the left):

a) is a lighter green than the fake
    b) has more rounded corners
    c) has a slightly raised YY logo. They both feel as though the logo in an insert though, rather than all one piece.

I guess the important part is how they both play... Well after one night's comparison, there's not much difference to be honest :)

I guess it depends on skill level; I'd describe mine as pretty average/intermediate, and although there was a slight increase in power with the real one, it was nothing major! Obviously I'm just not good enough to appreciate all the unique and advanced technology in a genuine Yonex racquet :D

Attached Files:

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    emjay, thanks for the pic. yes, that really shows the difference. and to my surprise, there is no 3rd SP serial number at the end cap.

i really hope someone who has a genuine Yonex CH racket can post some pics so we can compare.

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks emjay, those pictures were quite interesting. I am always continually amazed how people pay so much attention to their racquets. I would as well...in the past:D

Not much to say except reiterate what you said in the quote

19. frictionman

frictionman Regular Member

Lawyer
    We know it's Fake But...

Just want to raise an idea, we have fake yonexs brand coz the ones that are making them want to fool us into buying it, making us think its a real one. But what if we knew it was a fake? and since both perform almost the same but with just a fraction of the price of the real one. I got an mp100 and Ti-10 for just around $28 US Dollars
    EACH from a small store. The paint job and overall attributes are very well and nicely done (perfect), even the logo. You really can't tell the difference from the real one, believe me... Don't get me wrong i know it's not a yonex but SOMETIMES some people is just sick and tired not getting the things we actually pay for (I've read Mp100 easily breaks). Try getting a real MP100 and Ti-10, i think both will cost you around $350 to $400 US Dollars. Out of that 400 bucks a huge part of it goes for the mall rent and for the brand name. And like i said both fake and branded almost performs the same.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i tend to agree. what if it is a fake, or even a clone? the difference imho isn't that much. if you try it and if it fits you, then heck, you get a good deal!

a friend of mine did the same. he went back to HK and bought a few of the Fleet MP100/MP99 clone, they are for something like US$50 for two. that's US$25 a racket, despite being a clonex, he was very happen with it as he got two full carbon racket for so little money.

what's not ok is if the seller is trying to sell it as real and makes you pay a lot of money for it, as we have seen in many places.

the other thing that should be aware is that the fake racket will not play like the real one. it will be another racket, but for all the fake/clonex i have tried, none of them plays like the real one. that's not saying they are better or worse, just that they will not feel the same and may not even feel similar.