Did the Olympics live up to your expectations?

Discussion in 'Olympics ATHENS 2004' started by kwun, Aug 22, 2004.

?

did the Olympics live up to your expectations?

1. 5 - yes. it was everything that i was hoping for!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 - no. everything was disappointing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spyboy

Spyboy Regular Member

Well, the final was pretty one-sided but he did have to cross paths with Wong Choong Hann and Peter Gade to get there. After all the turmoil he has endured I can understand the tears. Apart from the joy of winning, they were also probably tears of relieve as the pressure must have been immense. I really don't think he was crying 'since he is a baby-faced guy'.

2. jcl49

jcl49 Regular Member

When the BBC interviewed the pair, Robertson was asked what he thought about the extensive use of gamesmanship by the Chinese. He (NR) surprised the interviewer by replying that he would have done the same thing to distupt rhythm and indirectly praised the Chinese for playing strategically.

JL

3. shasa03

shasa03 Regular Member

10% stuDent,30%dReaMeR,60% sHoPPeR =))
    i voted a 2..shouldve been 3 though..
    3 because taufik won a gold,on the singles men it was aLMOst an-all indonesia final,taufik beat gade:D i was cheering back then..
    but it was dissapointing that most of the high rank players lost..but i guess that was the surprise..
    dissapointed because most of the indonesian couldnt watch.and kabelvision couldnt telecast all when the indo's are playing..

4. other

other Regular Member

Student
    come on...this the olympic gold they are playing for...of course they would play mind games if they felt they needed to..

its like alan shearer making sure the ref sees him when he gets fouled rather than diving (which is cheating). (not saying he doesn't dive)

ie...trying to gain an "unfair" advantage, but within the rules

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Its the players job to push the boundaries of the laws, its the officials job to stand firm against that, yes, Zhang was over the line but blame the umpire

6. Bobatea

Bobatea Regular Member

I gave it a 2.

Kim/Ra exiting early was very shocking. Ra Kyung Min deserves a gold medal more than any of the gold medalists. I'm not saying they didn't deserve it. Ra Kyung Min just deserved it more for her amazing career in women's singles, women's doubles, and mixed doubles. Lin Dan being knocked out in the first round was also a shocker (along with others being knocked out early i.e. bao chun lai). Men's doubles was great seeing an all korean final and having Kim Dong Moon and Ha Tae Kwon win the gold. I was disappointed to see Gong Ruina go home without a medal. I was hoping she'd win gold. I'm glad Ra Kyung Min was able to earn the Bronze medal for women's doubles (I wished she could've gotten gold through that. It would have been a major accomplishement since China practically sweeps the women's events).

What really made me hate the Olympic coverage of badminton was the commentators. One of the commentators was just in love with Gao Ling's blue kneebrace and would not stop commenting about it throughout the final match. Also, most of the time they really had no idea what they were talking about and acted as if they knew each player well and had followed their career closely. It just ruined the experience. I couldn't watch the Taufik Hidayat/Peter Gade singles match because the commentators just frustrated me too much by constantly talking about how Taufik is the 'wild child' of Indonesia. I guess it's more of a 3 now that I think about it. Commentators really killed the enjoyment. Also, they really didn't show enough badminton.

[edit]
    Did anyone notice Mia Audina cheating a little during her ws final match against Zhang Ning? (appealing line calls 3-4 times I believe. Two of which I was 100% sure were accurate calls by the line judges).

#26 Bobatea, Sep 2, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2004
  7. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    i didn't watch the whole match, so i missed that particular scene.. but i can understand why zhang/gao had resorted to such tactics (if they were intentional); they needed a breather to sort out their emotions (and .. anxiety?? - if that's the right word)...

however, these tactics (if they were) were 'approved'.. (the umpire allowed it, didn't he/she?).

YEAH! i know i've said this before, but i'll say it again. it was the first time a victory in a sports game brought tears to my eyes.. that athens medal ceremony soundtrack was real touching at that moment. i wonder where i might get a midi version of it..

8. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    i gave it a two too:D . but after giving it a second thought too late, i realised i should have really given it 3. (just like Bobatea). of all, only the MS was really depressing. bao cl's exit had more impact than the other two, dunno why. taufik's win was a good one for him. i suppose he deserved to cry at the end... though if i were him, i would have tried to suppress those tears. that final match didn't look too difficult.. for him, i mean!
    the MD was quite fine with me, really. after seeing kim/ha play even before finals, i could already imagine them winning the gold. but it would have been much more fun if they were up against lars/paaske instead.. i imagine.
    zhang ning's victory was best. her leaps into the air were really cute! i hope i never forget those moments.. up till she fell into her coaches' arms! AND the prize-giving ceremony.

i think ra has been really consistent and hardworking all along to achieve where she is now. but that would suggest she really deserves a separate award for that ie. the most diligent player, or something..

on the contrary, i was glad zhou mi toppled her to get a bronze. perhaps i'm bitter, but it wouldn't have really been fair if gong loses her match against mia and then win her compatriot for a medal. but that's just my humble opinion.

remember how she reacted towards the line call. AND the uncivillised way she protested to the umpire. most disgraceful, i say.

#28 laughable c., Oct 28, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
  9. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Resonable since

1. SBS TV show adeqaute coverage.

2. Taufik won! Helped my tipping against some americans!

3. Nathan and Gail winning silver.

Disappointing since

1. Kim and Ra didn't make it through to finals.

2. Mia losing to Zhang.

10. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    4 for me,2 becos taufik won,1 becos sony clinched bronze,and 1 for flandy eng,it could be 5 if indons won md:D , but they didnt:crying: (hoho, im a loyal indon)