Chinese Choking

Discussion in 'ATHENS 2004 non-badminton events' started by V1lau, Aug 18, 2004.

1. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Wow is it me, or does it seem all the chinese teams are choking badly in these past few days...diving, shooting, badminton gymnastics...diving in that event were they just had to make one last dive and blew it... shooting they lost on the double trap when they were leading heading into the final 10 shots..badminton...the entire men's side(thomas cup winning men's team) and gong ruina...(I'd rather see xia xuanze then chen hong in this olympics to late now) gymnastics...they didn't even get a medal...especially disappointing was the one mens gymnist that was called the pommel horse genius...he did his routine perfectly and missed the dismount, that dropped him out of single competition for that apparatus...which looked like he would easily win...just sad...hopefully these are good lesson heading into beijing 2008...can't wait hopefully i can take a summer vacation that year and head back to the motherland

2. rayeraye

rayeraye Regular Member

according to the coaches, critics and the athletes themselves, they have all the techniques, but just cannot perform under pressure. they are just way too nervous. i think the chinese officials put too much pressures on these athletes to win the gold medals.

3. gossip_lover

gossip_lover Regular Member

I agree.....the more that they are expected to win....the more the pressure is...it is always easier to be the challenger that the defender of a medal or title.....and everytime the commentors say that the chinese has the gold...the athletes slips...its seriously is like a curse or somethin!!...but anyways....dealing with the HUGE amount of pressure is very hard...and i hope that the chinese will not bring themselves down to much....and prove to everyone how great their ability is to get up after a fall....in my opinion....all the chinese did their best...and it is already very good.....that is the spirit of all sports....a failure is the beginning of true success.....the chinese will learn from their mistakes in these games and i know...they will perform much better when they host their own games....but unfortunately...many athletes who participated in athens 2004 will perhaps be to old for the next olympics...but there will ALWAYS be other games ...tournaments...and competitions.....in the future games....China will definately be the top in many of the sports as they can support so many talents of their country!;)

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Yeah, China's had their ups and downs for the past couple of days.

I can't help but think that they could already be at 14 gold medals had Bo and Wang made that last dive and not tripped and if Yang Wei had not committed that one far on high beam...

But we don't have to look at it that way -- we can turn it around and say that they have done well to have captured 3 diving golds, 3 shooting golds and 3 weightlifting golds so far... and are #1 in total golds so far...there's always a positive side to looking at it.

Just keep cheering them on and watch the golds and medals tally up!!

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Here is Canada's big choke and it happened today.
    Felicien Perdita has won all the top 100m hurdles for the past 1.5 years.
    She had no problem taking every qualifying rounds of the athen games, she even said she let off before the finish line during all her qualifying. Ie, the gold medal is in the bag. *gulp* Then came the final, she tripped and knock over the 1st hurdle, then knocking off 2 or 3 more. The guys on tv said she was crying for a good 15 minutes afterwards...its so sad.

1 3275 HAYES Joanna USA 23 DEC 1976 4 0.169 12.37 OR
    2 3178 KRASOVSKA Olena UKR 17 AUG 1976 1 0.151 12.45 PB
    3 3314 MORRISON Melissa USA 09 JUL 1971 3 0.145 12.56
    4 2895 KOROTEYEVA Mariya RUS 10 NOV 1981 8 0.195 12.72
    5 2230 GOLDING-CLARKE Lacena JAM 20 MAR 1975 2 0.149 12.73
    6 1327 WHYTE Angela CAN 22 MAY 1980 7 0.155 12.81
    DNF 1313 FELICIEN Perdita CAN 29 AUG 1980 5 0.167 DNF
    DNF 2938 SHEVCHENKO Irina RUS 02 SEP 1975 6 0.155 DNF

#5 cooler, Aug 24, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  6. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    I actually feel bad for her, all the training and sacrifice she put in should lead to a terrific moment culminating in a gold, now all she has is dissappointment and regret. Worst time to have the worst race of her life...sucks :crying:

7. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Yeah Thats another 4 Years till she can Take the Gold.

I actually feel really Sorry for the RUS runner that she Knocked down =P

8. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    A rerun should have been called, for the Russian girl's sake. And Perdita was crying so much that she had to be counselled by Donovon Bailey. But she's strong and she will train even harder to overcome this obstacle in her life. But the women's 100 m hurdles is just another example of how this Olympics has been a little odd... First Gail Devers is out.. and now Perdita...??!!