Badminton in Japan

Discussion in 'Japan Professional Players' started by gaDEfan, May 6, 2007.

1. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

I know. It was more a statement to highlight their shocking downward trajectory over the past couple of months. They are not even in the top 10 anymore and play worse and worse badminton. The last two losses against mid-tier (if that) domestic opponents just put the icing on the cake. The Asian Games will be absolutely crucial for them. If they can't perform there, there is no reason to pick them ahead of Nagamatsu anymore.

Cheung likes this.
  2. kurako

kurako Regular Member

I know that you know. :)

I wonder what is causing this, though? What do you think?

3. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

:p
    Since Matsuyama came back from injury they are extremely nervous and error prone again.
    It took them a good long while (meaning: years) to get confident enough, avoid committing record levels of unforced errors and win games and tournaments. That confidence is gone now and the unforced errors are back at frankly unacceptable rates.

Thankfully, the NBA employs several excellent mental coaches to help with the problem. o_O

4. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Maybe momota should play the individual event too, so he can earn some points

5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

If he had the choice, he would. Only two players can be selected, ... and he wasn't.

6. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Endo/Takei lost in the final to the new Tonami pair of Kaneko and a fresh-out-of-high school and very pumped up Ota Shunya. The wait for a decent MD pair continues, unless Ota can do something with Kaneko that old partners Kubota and Shimono were not able to.

...and Obayashi continues to be bad against, of all people, Koga :rolleyes:

7. yuon

yuon Regular Member

Anybody following the Asia Junior Championship? Japan just won the team event for only the second time in 11 years! The last time they won was in 2012, and many future stars emerged from that team, including future world number ones like Momota, Okuhara, and Yamaguchi. Hopefully future stars will also emerge from this team!

visor and Simeon like this.
  8. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

I was watching it yesterday. High tension after Miyazaki lost in two sets, as well as Okimoto failing to take the win. In the end it came to all the doubles events to win 3-2.

I am hoping that Miyazaki will be able to redeem herself by taking the title in the individual event.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

yuon likes this.
  9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Technically, I think Nishimoto got close to Momota, but there is something where Momota can overcome stubborn players, and Nishimoto can't, even though he also fought hard and just lost a little.

10. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Do you really think that they were technically close. I don't consider their game to be similar.

What is apparent to me, however, is that Nishimoto was not, and never will be in the same league as 'peak' Momota. Nishimoto is a gritty, never-say-die player, and deserves to be lauded for that. However, in terms of aura, on-court astuteness, and resourcefulness, ... he has nothing on pre-accident/pre-back injury Momota.

Now that Momota is heading for a premature exit from the game, Nishimoto has finally got his 'hour upon the stage'. But this does not make him a more exciting player. Or a player that will ever make it into the Top 5.

11. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    During their primes, there are players who will win every match and the opponents think may not stand a chance of beating them.

Momota was and Nishimoto is not.

12. yuon

yuon Regular Member

It certainly was a very exciting and dramatic final, including a red card and questionable line calls. I thought Indonesia has gotten it in the bag after Miyazaki choked big time, but who would have thought that the MD could pull off a win. They almost pulled a Hoki/Kobayashi, with what happened in the second game. Prop to the WD for holding it together at the end too.

Okimoto is a good player, very consistent, but he's quite short. Alwi Farhan is quick, just like another Ginting. Okimoto put up a good fight, but it was a big hill to climb in the first place.

13. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Watching Miyazaki play today, she's been full of errors. I assume that she's also very tired after almost non-stop playing this week, with many matches having gone to three sets, as well as some delaying tactics in between rallies.

In her current form, I honestly don't see her coming out on top, especially after how she almost choked a large gap in the final set.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

14. yuon

yuon Regular Member

She just lost in the QF, just barely though. She has been playing a lot of tournaments since the end of May. It has been a tough schedule for her so she's probably at her limit by now.

15. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

The moment of genius to turn from losing to winning, making the opponent feel helpless, is something Momota used to have but Nishimoto still doesn't have.

I don't know if he will bloom ''one more time'', and maintain his career at the age of 33 like Lee Chong Wei. He 29 now, not at the ideal age

kurako likes this.
  16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Okuhara will meet Miyazaki Tomoka (HS pupil & Junior World Champion) at the Indonesia Masters I today. It will be interesting to see how the match evolves.

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

17-year-old high-schooler Miyazaki won the battle, albeit a close affair (21-19, 15-21, 21-19). As a qualifier taking down the No. 1. seed, she is probably the brightest spot on Japan's badminton horizon.

lodoss, oldtaby, Sundis and 1 other person like this.
  18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    @kurako

You mentioned in another thread Park Joo Bong’s tenure has been 21 years. That’s extremely long.

Is he simply too senior to be moved on with a fresh set of eyes coming in?

19. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Sorry, I made a mistake. It is actually 19 years since he became HC (2004-2023).

The extension of his tenure was decided upon before the change in NBA leadership, sometime between autumn 2021 and early 2022. Considering Japan's performance at Tokyo (the target was 5 medals, I believe), however, one can only consider it odd that his contract was actually renewed, even with Zeniya still at the top.

Now that the new leadership is finally installed, I don't think that he will make it past this term.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.
  20. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Whilst no Japanese player graced the court of the French Open Final, there was a happier ending a few rungs down the ladder at the BNI Indonesia Masters II (World Tour 100). Obayashi, Miyazaki, and Mitsuhashi/Okamura all clinched the title in straight games. The singles matches, in particular, were entertaining, and Miyazaki may well become a force to reckon with.

Actually, I wonder how she is going to measure up to her compatriots at this year's All Japan Championships. A top four finish would probably result in a promotion to the A-Team, but this really depends on the luck of the draw.

ants, Pcyl and Simeon like this.