2011 Singapore Open SS: Day 6 - Finals Day (Sunday June 19)

Discussion in 'Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011' started by chris-ccc, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
  2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Agree. Start a thread. Should we boycott BWF??? ;)

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I wouldn't boycott the BWF

I wouldn't boycott the BWF. :):):)

Why? Because BWF has been organising rather good inter-nations tournaments, such as the Thomas, Uber and Sudirman Cups.

But for Opens events, such like the Singapore Open or any other Open events, perhaps another organisation can be formed to run/organise them.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Since lining is the main sponsor, can we ask yonex or victor to do it? ;) Don't ask me. You can't see me. lol. ;)

Just need to add this sentence from the article. "The devil is out". ;)

#544 extremenanopowe, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  5. laonong

laonong Regular Member

That's a very good idea. Maybe you can do something.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hahaha... For me in Melbourne, Australia (down-under, being far remote from the rest of our Badminton world), I can only be a watcher and commentator. :):):)

7. Shuttlekok

Shuttlekok Regular Member

Get a life! What you have is call blind faith!

8. Shuttlekok

Shuttlekok Regular Member

Well said! You have said exactly what many here are feeling.

9. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    BWF should simply grow some balls and write some well needed ethics and sportsmanship into their rule book.

If China doesn't want to abide, then f them. They can go play amongst themselves. It's not like the sport would be any less interesting.

Simple! :D

10. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    There IS another better description for shuttlecock. NAIVE.

11. dwinski

dwinski Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I quite agree in saying that LD is "truly great" and "a legend" in the badminton world simply because he was the 2008 Beijing Olympic Mens Singles Champion BUT TO ME HE IS NOT AND WAS NEVER BEEN A REAL SPORTSMAN!!!!! WHY????

A well known American sports writer named Mr. Grantland Rice (1880-1954) once said:
    For when the One Great Scorer comes, / To write against your name, / He marks - not that you won or lost - / But how you played the Game."

See, not so much on whether you won or lost, worst if you withdrew or walked over, but what's most important is how you really played the Game!!! Got it!!!!

12. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    nevermind lah
    lin dan again have a speedy recovery by the warm water in jakarta and won his 1st match
    cheers

13. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Your complaints are mis-directed. If it was up to Lin Dan, I don't think he would have given a walkover (given he is healthy). It's the team, or more specifically, the person giving the orders, who should be vilified. Not Lin Dan.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Yes. But. It takes two hands to clap. I quite understand the conundrum LD faces. But he is after all is said and done, a grown-up person, with his own set of responsibilities, and values. It is his choice to listen to his bosses and do something fundamentally unfair, and cover up for it.

Although there is a historical pattern to match-throwing and matching-fixing there have also been documented instances of important players following their conscience, and being true to the values of sportsmanship. Lin Dan cannot be entirely exonerated of blame, if we are to blame anyone. He is very much party to the scheme.

A very telling line was from the famous episode with He Zhili when she refused to throw her match as instructed by her coaches, and went on to win the TT world championship. It provides valuable insight into the workings and attitudes of the people in power, in China.

"We do not punish winners." The flip side of this directive is: "lose, and you will be punished."

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LD would be more than happy to go along with it. After all, all these funny games is ultimately for his benefit.
    CJ qualifying for the Olympics is just as an assist, like in OG08. LD is the chosen one to be the ultimate beneficiary.
    LD had no guts to say, look, playing an exhibition match won t sap the energy tank?

SGO has had fantastic MS Finals until LD came along and generated a mess for the
    global connected world to see. The consolation is this will probably be his final time playing in SGO.

16. sen

sen Regular Member

Today Chen Jin meeting Park Sung Hwan at Indonesia open. If Chen Jin wins and meets Lin Dan tomorrow, I think Chen Jin would withdraw or lose easily to Lin Dan in QF. The reason he will give is probably fatigue. Although the real reason may be to give Lin Dan who has bigger chance to go further in Indonesia open.

Let's see if this is true. If it is, all more evidence of match fixing.

17. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I say both will play and CJ wins. The reason is to let CJ through cos CJ needs WR points to move from #10 position. Let's see you or mine quess is correct;)

18. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    So no matter who's going to win, the match is fixed by no matter who wins.

After reading the posts here, I found out people are always self-assumed correctness. why Lin Dan walked over? Here are the reasons.

first, it's not an order from the management or coach or LYB, it's not fixing game, no one expected it until LD asked for it after the semi final. The true reason only LD himself knew in the whole world. After LD asked for wo, LYB and coaches held a meeting for that, and finally they agreed.

there were some facts need to take into consideration:

1) first, LD did get diarrhea the first day in Singapore, so he's not in good form, he struggled a lot to beat SS, PG whom LD just cruised with no effort at Sudirman cup.

2) so I think, (which is just I think) LD's afraid of losing to CJ in the final, that's the reason he w.o.

3) It's definitely not the reason for CJ to gain points. If CJ needed points, he would easily gain huge points by playing 1 or 2 in sudirman cup.

4) it's not for helping CJ. I don't think LD trying to help other players, especially teammates, any players, their teammates are their biggest competitors. That's purely because BWF rules allowing 2 or 3 max players from the same country in world championship and olympics.

5) It's not for better performance next round, last time, several years ago, CJ beat LD in semi and lost LCW in the final. LD should have bigger chance.

6) LD wo several times to different players, including NTM (not even a Chinese player), CL and CJ. I found out most of time, the reason is fear. LD's afraid of losing, so he choose to WO. Sometimes, he's afraid of losing to the current opponent, sometimes, he's afraid of losing to the next round opponents.

19. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    the whole points I got is that I treat LD as a person, with weakness. While most posts here treated him like god or evil with power and planning. Unfortunately, LD is a person with weakness. To prevent such things happen again, organizers should cut the prize money to the wo to half, because each round, the prize doubled, and wo means no job done, thus no money paid.

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2011 Indonesia Open SS Premier: Will Lin Dan defeat Chen Jin at the Quarter-Finals ?

Hahaha... Now that you have mentioned it, I do believe that Chen Jin will face Lin Dan at the Quarter-Finals on Friday 24-Jun-2011 at the Indonesia Open SS Premier. :):):)

I guess LYB will choose Lin Dan to win this time, so that we are setting up for a Lee Chong Wei-vs-Lin Dan match at the Finals. ;););)