2003 Yonex rackets measurements

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by cooler, Nov 30, 2003.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    If that's the case, then this RDC stiffness test is flawed because string tension is integrated with the frame characteristic. Since string type and tension are not standardized, the test result cannot be consistent nor repeatable by other technican working somewhere else. For example, a tightly strung racket can strengthen a frame. Would a 70 lb strung tennis racket flex the same as a 30 lb same tennis racket? well, i don't want to beat to death on the RDC number or test. Bottom line is that the babolat RDX machine is designed for measuring tennis racket, and stiffness test seem to involve bending the frame.

I'm sure that machine can be adapted for badminton rackets but internal electronics need to be regeared or recalibrated for more delicate badminton rackets.

Attached Files:

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes, i bend the entire racquet, fix point at the handle, so even the shaft inside the cone is free to flex.

3. shelwinbautista

shelwinbautista Regular Member

cooler!

since i honestly believe what cooler has to say about things,which is better for u mp24 or mp33 and why?tnx cooler!regardless of the price!

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Geez, you put me in a position to reply, good tactic;)

since u have said a racket that that fits my need and price is not a concern, then i would be choose the MP33 of the two.

from the chart, u should see mp24 is head light. A balanced weight is as head light as i would prefer. MP33 is balanced like the cab20MS. MP33 is stiffer too. Together i find in MD i can do more drive shots. The stiffness helps compensate a bit on not being a head heavy racket during smashes.

Mp24 is a lively racket too but it's a bit too flexy for me.
    MP33 uses high modulus graphite throughout, while mp24 uses regular graphite.

last national junior qualifying touranment i went to watch, i saw highest percentage players were using mp33, around 20%.

Only disadvantage of mp33 is it cost more than mp24 and don't come strung.

5. shelwinbautista

tnx.

tnx cooler!

6. shelwinbautista

just askin!

it should come to us as no surprise that the more expensive ur racket, the better!is their any cheap yonex racket perform better than the high end rackets of yonex like mp99?

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

you should ask that as a general question in a mp99 thread. This thread is about racket measurements.

answer: you have answered your own question.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Stiffness versus Time

As Part Four of the racket measurement thread, i have look into how racket stiffness hold out over time. I think most of us don't give much thought about this topic when comparing rackets from various sources like friends, stores or their own. Well, the result of my test would change that. I haven't post it before because i lack the racket samples to make comparision at single point in time. The result shown below are from tests conducted consectively with same measuring devices.

I don't say the result applies to all badminton rackets but if MP99 with H.M. graphite, Ultimum Ti frame and shaft does, i'm sure the other rackets of 'lesser' quality should suffer more stiffness degradation.

The reference racket is a brand new cab20MS with relative stiffness = 0

Attached Files:

#88 cooler, Feb 8, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2004
  9. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    LOL

Cooler,

If I didn't know you better, I would have to say you have too much time on your hands LOL

but because I know you, and know what a scientific mind you have, as a fellow analytical, I can say awesome work here! :)

I've been waiting for some sort of actual quantitative analysis... and objective at that.

I would send you my unused cab22 if you wanted to get a anoter measurement on the cab20power/22.

Also I would send you a cab20MS 2u, just to see if there really is any major difference, but by what your findings indicate, really 2u, or 3u should be pretty much the same.

I also have a used cab20long you might want to test out...
    :p

Let me know... lol
    Or when I come back to Calgary, we'll perform your measurement tests on these goodies...
    Oh, one racquet i would like you to perform a test on is the Blue racquet that I had purchased, the same one that Sareno uses...
    I forget what it's called now lol... but that racquet with it's oval shaft, was really really stiff. I couldn't even use it... lol.
    I did remember having one left, but lent it out, and never saw it again :p

Anyways... keep up the good work!!

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

thanks for the compliments kelvin.
    for your racquets, try to estimate the amount of time used as it would make a difference if we are comparing something really close.

oh, that unknown racquet is LeVeL, with kelvar, it's not really stiff, it's super stiff.:p
    btw, u didnt lent your 2nd one to me, unfortunately;)

too bad u had listed all the rackets here (public media) that u wanted to lent to me or else i might hoping you forgot about them too:rolleyes: :p

11. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    cooler, I really think you should take a trip to Ohio, US to have a good bend(s) of my rackets :):)

By the way, wow, the new racket is A LOT stiffer than the used ones. That's beyond my imaginations!

12. other

other Regular Member

Student
    heh.......how flexible must my originlal cab 20 be now then:)

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i'm not really surprised with the result. I feel my older rackets aren't as stiff as when they were new. That kinda prompted me to look into this to make sure that it wasn't the effect of me getting older. ;)

14. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    Add a few more rackets plz

If you can get a hold of these: Ti 10 and Cab 30MS and add them to the chart, I'd really appreciate it. I'm due for a new racket and I'm thinking about those 2.

I wonder how MP33 compares to Ti10..since Ti10 is extra stiff. And Cab23 is stiffer than Cab20MS..so where does that leave the Cab30MS..? Of course...Cab30MS isn't available in Canada yet.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

TheGr8One, please read page 6 and 7 of this thread.

16. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    Okay..so you have measurements for Ti10...too bad you can't edit the original post however..scrolling through and reading the whole thread is just..time consuming.

The mod should allow editing of the message after 15 minutes in this case. That way you can put new changes on the original post.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

OT

the 15min time out rule has its merit. I dont like to see poster change his old posts to support his change of view or mislead other of what he/she had once said before.

18. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Then we should get the mods to take the tables of data that Cooler has provided and put it in a new and closed thread (sticky) with a reference to this thread.

Cooler, I would be interested in gathering comparison data with other non-Yonex brand racquets.

19. other

other Regular Member

Student
    yeah, like the reviews section.....you can just have a spreadsheet type page with all these measurements. i doesn't have to be part of this forum, but people can obviously talk about it here.

20. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    cooler. any chance of getting your hands on a cab30ms to add to your data set?