Ball Badminton?????

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by tchandra, Oct 15, 2002.

1. mnanchala

mnanchala Regular Member

Engineer
    OK, I am from South India; I can tell you about Ball badminton. It is not just a rural sport, it was played at the district level till recent years. I am from Hyderabad which is no way rural.
    I will list out the differences between badminton and ball badminton

1. Ball Badminton is an outdoor sport
    2. It is played on a volleyball court sized court
    3. There are 5 players on each side
    4. The 'ball' used is either made of soft rubber or wool. The woollen ball looks just like a koosh-ball but is harder. I collected some of these balls when I was a kid and tried to hit them using my aluminium badminton racquet. The string broke. because
    5. They still use the old fashioned wooden racquets strung with natural gut strings in order to play this sport. The 'ball' being heavy, they need that trampoline effect in the string to withstand impact.

2. ramya

ramya New Member

i ve played it

hey ppl ... i have played ball badminton in my high school...its more popular in south of india....I'm a south indian too...
    origin...it was in the royal kindom of tanjore ,tamil nadu,India
    we have state and district teams in india....
    top ball badminton players have been awarded with the most prestigious awards in india like Arjuna award and Ekalayvan awards....
    about 6 of the Arjuna Awardees are ball badminton players.....

To say about the racquet ,its not normal badminton racquet ...its a wooden racquet (may be made of graphite material also)....
    ball doesnt bounce like a squash ball...its a woolen ball...both hard and soft..
    yellow in colour....
    totally 29 pts.....5 per team...4 in corners and 1 a mid player....

let the discussion grow
    keep smiling :)

3. Ashok

Ashok New Member

Reply 2 Chandra

tchandra, Im Ashok from Trichy(Tamilnadu), India. V still used 2 play ball badminton now.

For ball badminton, V r using wooden rackets (Soman, Narayana Super & Raja are some names of the rackets made in India) Ball is made up of woolen thread.V used to play doubles or fives. Sometimes v used 2 play triples also(if there is not enough member). This game will be vanished in 2 or 3 yrs. I thought of spreading this game more.
    Because its such a nice game, smashing & taking that smash all will be nice.
    Please try to spread this game, by playing this game forming a group in your country.
    If u want any help about this game means contact me at mvashoktrichy@rediffmail.com

4. Ashok

Ashok New Member

Im playing ball badminton now also in india

Hey Ramya, Im playing ball badminton now also with my friends. I have started playing this game from my school days. Im from trichy, still playing this game with my friends. I think soon this game will vanish from our country & the world. I think this game have to be spread all over the world. And steps have to be taken to increase the game to high standards.
    Mail me your reviews to my id: mvashoktrichy@rediffmail.com

5. Srini

Srini New Member

Ball badminton was not just restricted to s.india. though it was more popular there. because of badminton(shuttle) and ball badminton S.india is the only place where you will hear ppl refer to badminton as shuttle badminton to make the distinction between ball and shuttle. The ball is about the size of a pin pong ball but softer. it is not plastic. dont know the actual material but he outer is a yelow color cloth like material .

there are singles doubles and fives played. it is a tough gome in that it is more of chopping the ball and spinninf it. the smashes can come down pretty hard.
    my father toldme that my grandpa used to play it and was very good at it. he said he could hit a 10 naya paisa( coin slighly bigger than the dime) placed on the ground.

the person who used to string my badminton racquets in chennai(s.india) used to play this game every sunday. the racquet is wooden and the string is slightly thicker.

I tried it and my friends took the racquet away from me when i played a traditional shuttle badminton back hand and the ball went sailing away ... for good... :rolleyes:

6. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    [​IMG]

Found this on google images.. :D

I have heard of this game but never saw it.

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    squash ball might be too heavy

8. kmodak

kmodak Regular Member

If anyone wants to watch/ play ball-badmintont I know of one group in Bangalore. Usually see them playing in the DRDO complex playground in CV Raman nagar. Next to the basketball courts. Usually weekend mornings/ evening. Quite intresting to watch. There is an element of slice which can make the ball swing in the air.

9. faheemhameed

faheemhameed New Member

Ball badminton is a beautiful indigenous game played in some states of India and in some other Asian countries. Please visit the following link to know more about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_badminton

It is such a wonderful game which needs to be spread all over the world. Unfortunately the game is on its way to decline.

I am working in Hong Kong and whenever I return to my home town (Tamil Nadu, India) I used to play the game. It is extremely quick game. It is a treat to watch the game when it is played between two good teams. It has twist shots, cuts & slices. A very special element in the game is when the ball is served very very high. The ball is served very high and outside the opponents court and using the direction of the wind the ball return to the opponents court perfectly. There also an element of smash (with / without twists). Another element of it is returning the smash and it is very nice to watch. One other element of it is shutting the smash at the nets (you cannot expect this in the normal badminton game. This is something similar returning the shots at nets in the Tennis game.

I would love if the game is spread all over the world. If there are some steps taken by the ball badminton associations in India the sport can be a popular one. I am sure that the Chinese will get it very quickly.

If you would like to discuss about the game you can contact me at faheemhameed313@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Hameed

10. darshan arya

darshan arya New Member

Hi

Hi guys i am darshan from Bangalore, India....need details on Ball-Badminton u can post ur queries i will help u out in unerstanding this game.

11. FIVEs

FIVEs Regular Member

Totally lost about ball badminton. But finally I know what it is.

12. kaamu

kaamu New Member

I used to play ball badminton until I left college and had to move out from home town (village)

I am from Palakkad, Kerala and we had a few teams in Palakkad district playing sufficiently good quality ball badminton. Railways, Kollengode, Payyalore, Pazhambalakkode..

Nowadays I play shuttle badminton, but still feel nostalgic about the old days of ball badminton.

The court is 12x12 mtrs each side. 5 a side, 29 points game. It is a fast game and requires a lot of wrist control and quick reflex.

The game is very interesting to play, but not so interesting to watch.. maybe one reason why the game really didn't pick up well.

The racquets are still the old wooden ones; since being an almost forgotten game, I believe no research is going in to invent new material for the racquets..

The ball is a kind of woolen one; around 5-6 cm diameter. might be weighing around 25 grams or so.