Laws of Badminton after May 2006

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Loh, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With the change to the 21-point rally scoring system (NSS), inevitably there are related changes and other relevant updates to the Laws of Badminton by the BWF, which were approved and adopted in May 2006..

Here are some that I've spotted:

7. SCORING SYSTEM

(There is now no difference between men's singles (formerly 15 points) and women's singles (formerly 11 points) and little or no confusion on deuce and setting as these are non-existent in the NSS.

7.2 A game shall be won by the side which first scores 21 points, except as provided in Law 7.4 and 7.5.

7.3 The side winning a rally shall add a point to its score. A side shall win a rally, if the opposing side commits a 'fault' or the shuttle ceases to be in play because it touches the surface of the court inside the opponent's court.

So every rally counts as a point for or against. Unlike the OSS (old scoring system) when a side can 'win back' the service without scoring a point.

7.4 If the score becomes 20-all, the side which gains a two point lead first, shall win that game.

So there is no need to call 'deuce' and 'set' to how many points as in the OSS. But the umpire should call the side that reaches 20 points first "20 game point...".

Game point should only be called once throughout the game, unless the side that subsequently reached 29 points first, then another call will be made for "29 game point 28" or "29 match point 28" if it is in the final (third) game. So in a game, the maximum number of times game point is called is only twice, unlike before.

7.5 If the score becomes 29-all, the side scoring the 30th point shall win that game.

Note that the call is 29-all not 29-29 or others like 20-20 (20-all) or 25-25 (25-all).

8. CHANGE OF ENDS

8.1 Players shall change ends:

8.1.2 at the end of the second game, if there is to be a third game; and

(Previously: prior to the beginning of the third game (if any)

8.1.3 in the third game when a side first scores 11 points. (Not 6 or 8 previously,)

9. SERVICE

(Some interesting and more definite changes as regards correct service.)

9.1 In a correct service:

9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay,

The second sentence is added to make it clear that once the server moves his racket backward he must then move it forward as quickly as possible to strike the shuttle without undue delay. He can't stop too long when his racket has been pulled backward before he moves it forward for example. It has to be smooth and he can't make intermittent stops along the way.

9.1.5 the whole shuttle shall be below the server's waist at the instant of being hit by the server's racket. The waist shall be considered to be an imaginary line round the body, level with the lowest part of the server's bottom rib;

This is perhaps the clearest definition of the waist which in the past has caused a lot of confusion. and if read in conjuction with Law 9.1.6 below, it has now taken away many irrelevant and unwanted misunderstanding and argument.

9.1.6 the shaft of the server's racket at the
    instant of hitting the shuttle shall be pointing in a downward direction;

9.2 Once the players are redy for the service, the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.

13. FAULTS

It shall be a 'fault':

13.2 if, in service, the shuttle:

13.2.1 is caught on the net and remains suspended on its top; (but not when in play, then it will be a 'let'.)

13.2.2. after passing over the net, is caught in the net; or

13.3 if in play, the shuttle:

13.3.3 fails to pass over the net

(So now, if a shuttle is hit outside a post, did not pass over the net, but eventually falls in the opponent's court, it is a fault. Previously not a fault.)

Please add more observations if you have.

If you wish, you can also ask questions on the Laws to clarify any situation.

#1 Loh, Nov 20, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2006
  2. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    Um...yeah. How exactly does the doubles serving rotation work exactly? No one has explained it in simple and clear terms to me yet. I was wondering if you could? THanks.

Also, so with the birdie hanging on the net situation, I think someone once told me, that based on the old rules, as long as you didn't make it over and onto the ground, it'd be considered the opponents' point. Is that true?

3. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

Before, in doubles, the serving team had 2 serves, always begginning with the person on the right, right? When the serve was lost, the second person took the serve(except in the begginning of the game, cuz only had 1 serve) And can only score points when serving.
    Thats Old Scoring System.

Now, in doubles, the serving team only has 1 serve. The side where the serve will be made from depends on the score. If you win a point, and it was 0-0, you are at 1-0. Because theres a point in every rally. So the team gaining the serve gets to serve from the left (odd number score side, remember?) If you win a point, you go to the other side to serve. Nothing changed in that ; you change side when you WIN a point and have the serve. That new scoring system

if its

Teams
    #1 #2
    0 0 -> Right side serve, like normally.
    Team 2 wins the rally.
    0 1 -> Team 2's left person serves.
    Team 2 wins again.
    0 2 -> Switch sides. Serves from the right.
    Team 1 wins the rally.
    1 2 -> Team 1's left person serves. There are no changes in positions
    Team 2 wins again, wow ;-p
    1 3 -> left person (originally the right person at 0-0) serves, since you are at an odd number score.

So when you win the serve (you didnt have it, but won it) you serve from where you are depending on the points
    When you win the rally, and had the serve, you switch places.

The only difference is that -> You have 1 serve and the side depends on the score. i.e odd = left ; pair = right , contribute points each rallys. To 21

I hope you understand better. If not, read again :D

#3 RiceBaiiKhao, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

#4 Loh, Nov 20, 2006
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Assuming players' names are:

Serving side: A (server standing on right service court) and B (left service court).
    Receiving side: X (receiver standing on right service court) and Y (left service court)

In doubles, you must know who is the Server and Receiver at the beginning of each game and mark "S" and "R" against their names respectively on the scoresheet before you commence the game in order to remind you. This markings are important to help you correct any wrong service court situation should it arise later.

At the start of each game before you call 1st Game, love-all, play..., because the score is "0"-"0" (mark it down first), server A stands on the right service court (Don't say right court or right side, be more precise) to serve as "0" is an even number. (Law 11.1.1) His partner B stands on the left-service court.

11.1.5 The players shall not change their respective service courts until they win a point when their side is serving.

So when server A or his side (A) wins a point, he changes to the left service court as his side's score is now "1-0". If he continues to win 2-0, 3-0, 4-0, he will continue to alternate service court with his partner. If his side loses a point, they remain where they last stand.

Then the next call will be "Service over, 1-4". The left service court opponent y will then serve as '1' is an odd number. If the opposing side continues to win the rally, 2-4, 3-4, 4-all, 5-4, the opponent partners will change (alternate) service court according to their scores.

Now, you may ask, suppose your side wins the next point, which of you will serve, now that the score is 5-all? At the last count, you A were standing on the right service court. As your score is now "5" (odd), your partner B standing on the left service court will then serve.

Suppose your side now lost the point, it will then be 6-5 in favour of your opponent (always call the winning side's score first). Then opponent x will serve.

As a guide, you cannot serve in succession after you have lost a point. (unless you continue to win points without breaking). Eg. you serve first, then lose a point, then when your side wins a point back your partner should serve, not you as you have served just before. But the next service, after your partner has served the last, will be yours. You alternate service with your partner whenever your side wins back a point. Similarly for receiving.

#5 Loh, Nov 20, 2006
  6. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

We've been discussing these for over 6 months now on lots of other threads. Did you forget to set your alarm clock?:)

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes we've discussed and debated a great deal on this subject even at a time when nothing was official yet.

Now that it is in black and white with all the updates, I feel it is worthwhile going through especially for those who may not be as knowledgeable as you are and who may have missed certain pertinent points. ;)

I for one would like to know other viewpoints and to confirm my understanding on some of the issues.

Do you have any comments on some parts of the Laws? :)

8. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

Yes, and I've made them on other threads.

What updates? There have been no changes to the laws since May.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    In essence, what I am interested in are the more pertinent changes between the old set of laws and the new and what impact they have on competitive badminton with the new scoring system.

10. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Thanks Loh for noting the changes.

I agree, the definition of the "server's waist" was much needed.

But, with 9.1.6 it raises (double pun intended) the height at which sneaky players can push the height & angle of their racquets to be illegal.

Try this link. ;)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37883

Cheers!

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi BMS

Thanks for reminding what players can do to test the umpire's patience. But the umpire has the final decision to give a warning or a yellow card, or indeed a red card, if required.

Indeed it is the Service Judge and in his/her absence, the Umpire will have to make sometimes rather 'controversial' decisions. At the end of the day, their judgement is subjective, at best. And officials have to use their discretion.

One practical guide that the Service Judge can turn to on whether the player has hit the shuttle above his waist is to watch his elbow. When the elbow is resting against the side, it falls around the lowest rib region.

So being an official is no play. He has to focus his concentration on the players' movements in order to be fair to all of them, opponents included. :D

12. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

I believe that this guideline has been in use (as a law interpretation) in some countries for some time and is superseded by the new laws which use the bottom rib as the waist.

The problems are that no player serves with either arm hanging limp at his/her side and it is only a rule of thumb anyway. Different people are made differently.

As has been noted in earlier threads, the new laws certainly provide encouragement for use of the drive serve.

13. lorus_blue

lorus_blue Regular Member

ok here's a situation, player A of team A executed a drop shot from their back court, the shuttle travels from their(team A) back court towards their opponent's (in this case Team B) side but the shuttle did not made it over the net instead, it went just below the net but before it landed on the floor, here's player B from team B who thought, for some reason or another, that the shuttle made it over the net and made an effort to hit the shuttle but at the last second changed his mind probably realizing that the shuttle did not went over the net but it was too late and the shuttle made contact with his racket. Now here's the question, what rule or law ,for that matter, was violated first or should we say should be applied in this situation? remember that the shuttle did not make it over the net but while it was still airborne and did not yet landed on the floor, was hit by the opponent's racket, and remember also that when the opponent made the hit, the shuttle was not on their side yet, now who's fault will it be?

14. CWB001

CWB001 Regular Member

That is an easy one to answer. B is faulted. See law 13, and specifically 13.4.3 which makes it a fault to invade the opponent's court under the net.

Alternatively 13.3.10 could be used as the shuttle does not travel toward his opponent's court after being hit by B (since it is already in it).

Certainly A cannot be faulted because the shuttle did not either strike the court floor or the net (see law 15).

B is guilty of utterly crass play, of course, in giving away a point so stupidly.

15. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

If the shuttle hits the net and starts to fall towards the ground, then it is a fault. All actions thereafter are irrelevant. In this case, A is faulted.

If the shuttle did not hit the net, then B is faulted.

#15 Gollum, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  16. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Fault by Team B is my opinion but I can't find a law exactly against it.

If the shuttle has not hit the net, floor, or post, it is still in play.

it is legal to invade the opponents court under the net with racket or person as long as you do not obstruct or distract.

the closest I can get is
    It shall be a fault if in play the shuttle touches a player's racket and does not travel towards the opponents court.

the shuttle cannot travel towards the opponents court because it is already in it.

17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

EDIT: hang on, my copy of the laws may be out of date :eek:

The laws are very clear about this, but you have to observe the relation between sections 13 and 15.
    13 FAULTS
    It is a "fault":
    13.3 if, when in play, the initial point of contact with the shuttle is not on the striker's side of the net....

15. SHUTTLE NOT IN PLAY
    A shuttle is not in play when:
    15.2 it strikes the net or post and starts to fall towards the surface of the court on the striker's side of the net

Therefore law 13.3 does not apply, because the shuttle is not in play.

#17 Gollum, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  18. Neil Nicholls

I thought there was something like that, but I can't find it in the new 2006 Laws.
    Edit: this was before your edit...

I believe the question involves the shuttle not reaching the net, so it is still in play until it touches the floor.

19. Neil Nicholls

It shall be a fault if in play the shuttle touches a player's racket and does not travel towards the opponents court.

What is the point of this law?
    I don't believe the intention of it is for the situation we have just discussed.

The "initial point of contact must be on your side of the net" is much clearer.

If the shuttle touches a player's racket and does not travel towards the opponents court it will do one or more of:
    13.3.3 not pass over the net
    13.3.1 land outside the boundaries of the court
    13.3.4 touch the ceiling or side walls
    or something else that is a fault.

I can envisage a shot where you hit the shuttle exactly upwards, but it eventually goes over the net legally either due to spin , or the way the shuttle tumbles at the top of it's flight.

20. richie-rich

richie-rich Regular Member

in the uk we use it by nature now, its really quite easy, we use it in country level and league level, in fact in pretty much every level

only problem i have is people seemingly 'add' points onto their score,or remove them from yours, and if they think your on a score like, 16, but your actually on 18, they accuse you of cheating