Badminton England Technique DVD review

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by surfpunk, Jul 7, 2005.

1. surfpunk

surfpunk Regular Member

Received my copy today, I pre-ordered it but the release date had slipped a little since the original announcement.

Anyway I'm sure many of you want to know what's on it...

Badminton England Technique DVD
    £19.95

technical info...
    single layer DVD5 format
    running time: 1hr 13m 9s
    regions: all
    PAL format, 4:3 aspect ratio
    2ch Dolby Digital audio
    No subtitles

featuring
    Nathan Robertson
    Gail Emms
    Rexy Mainaky
    Tracey Hallam
    Aamir Ghaffar
    Nathan Rice

dvd contents
    Main menu has 4 chapters, which are as follows...

1. Introduction
    2. Forehand Shots
    3. Backhand Shots
    4. Extras

2. Forehand Shots
    Clear
    Smash
    Drop
    Net Lift
    Net Shot
    Net Kill
    Drive
    Doubles Defence
    Low Serve
    High Serve

3. Backhand Shots
    Clear
    Drop
    Net Lift
    Net Shot
    Net Kill
    Drive
    Doubles Defence
    Low Serve
    Flick Serve

4. Extras
    Grips
    Trick Shots
    Olympics

Shot Content

The basic presentation format of each shot begins with match or practice footage demonstrating the use of the shot.

This is followed by a computer graphic diagram of the position of players and intended trajectory of the shuttle for the shot.

The shot in question is then broken down with Gail Emms giving commentary describing the technique. Further graphics are used to good effect as the shot is shown from several angles and with the use of slow motion and freeze frame to highlight points of technique such as point of contact, feet position etc.

Following every shot there is a 'Key Tip' section where a player or coach imparts some advice or opinion.

Extras

The DVD is rounded out by some extras including a grip guide with the players demonstrating the various grips.

The trick shot section is a short piece of Nathan and Rexy showing off with some pretty cool trick shots.

The Olympics section is a short interview with Gail and Nathan talking about Athens along with various footage from training and the matches.

Review

This DVD is supposed to be aimed at all levels of player looking to improve their game. I think it will depend very much on your current level as to how much benefit you'll get from this dvd.

I think the shot breakdown is done very well and demonstrates the techniques well.

Gail seems a very good choice for doing the voice overs on the DVD, she sounds very natural and relaxed.

The production value is high on this DVD, good camera work and angles, and good sound.

Content-wise I think they could have devoted a section to explaining the terms used throughout like split step, chasse, pronation and suppination.

There is no section on footwork which I feel should have been included also there is no real mention of tactics although whether this would be part of the scope of this DVD is debatable.

Personally I think this would be a good supplement with other videos and books. Overall I think this dvd works well and I enjoyed it.

I should clarify that I'm a recreational player (of intermediate standard I would say). The more skilled and experienced amongst you may not get so much out of this dvd.

This is a link to the original dvd page on the Badminton England website...
    http://www.badmintonengland.co.uk/show_news.asp?section=000100010020&autonewscode=000100010020&id=210

There is a downloadable promo clip on there as well.

2. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Lol watch it and tell me if it's worth the price and if it's good.I might take one too.

3. surfpunk

surfpunk Regular Member

well as I said in my little review - it works well and I enjoyed it.

check the contents and see if it could help your game. personally speaking you can never have too much info to draw from. :D

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Thanks for the review.
    Maybe footwork and tactics will be part of future DVDs

5. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Amazing promo clip!recommend everyone to download it using the link given by surfpunk.Gail emms looks Sweet!

#5 DaN_fAn, Jul 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2005
  6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    This is a good learning material. :) Sometimes i prefer to watch them over matches. Since its Gail Emm...the further more i will watch it.

7. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    The video looks very promising but so expensive. :(

8. cards_pro

cards_pro Regular Member

Share DVD

If enough people from GTA want to this DVD, we could share the cost!;)

9. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

I must have received it by now, but i'm training in malaysia so i won't see it til i get home :(. sounds like i'll enjoy it when i get back...

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I watched my BE techniques DVD yesterday. I am ambivalent about the DVD; perhaps a little disappointed.

The DVD presentation is slick and proffesional, but also extremely irritating. For most strokes, you are forced to sit through the BE logo animation sequence a full three times, with its inane sub-techno "We can make you dance (we can make you dance - dance)" strap line. Overall I feel the rebranding of the BAofE to BE has been positive, but sometimes it's just plain annoying. They must have paid a lot of money for some of this rubbish.

The coaching points are surprisingly technical; it's good to hear terms like "pronation" being used. Many details are left out, and most of the coaching points for each stroke in a family (eg. clear, smash, drop) are repeated with almost no new information. It's tedious to sit through the same information so many times, especially when you must endure the omnipresent logo-pimping.

The computer graphics are used well, although sometimes they are unnecessary additions. I especially liked the way that simple graphics, overlaid on paused video, are used to highlight the key feature that Gail is describing on her commentary.

After most strokes, you are treated to a "key tip" (you must sit through another logo loop first, of course). These tips are almost totally worthless; they include such anodyne gems as: "attitude is really important"; "technique is really important"; "grip is really important". Almost none of the "key tips" are related to the stroke to which they are appended. This format is infuriating; I would rather see the "key tips" grouped together in one lump, than have them randomly scattered among the strokes.

The trick shots section was pathetic. I was hoping for some clever deceptive shots that might actually be useful in a game; instead, I got Nathan and Rexy goofing about for a minute.

The grips section was quite useful, though too short and basic. It was helpful to see on video the new grips that BE is teaching.

Overall, I felt the DVD was high on fluff and low on content. No advanced shots were demonstrated, although Gail alludes to such shots in her commentary. After the superb level 2 coaching course I attended in June, I was hoping for something more special from BE in the techniques DVD.

Nonetheless, it is interesting to watch the top players in this setting. I just wish they had done more with the opportunity.

#10 Gollum, Jul 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  11. Mt. Apo

Mt. Apo Regular Member

Consultant
    Anyone knows where can I buy BE Techniques DVD in Southeast Asia?

Thanks.