Smashing tactics

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by david14700, Jan 14, 2005.

1. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I was playing recently with an old County League player, in his late thirties, but still a really strong player. He kept criticising me on one point and I didn't agree with him.

It was a simple situation in a rally, happened several times, our opponents clear deep to our forehand corner, I get behind the shuttle and smash straight down the tramlines. They block straight to the net, but my partner doesn't get there in time or gets there late and he kept telling me I shouldn't be smashing straight in that situation because it means he has the longest distance to cover to reach the block reply. I thought he was covering the net from too far behind, near the base position for a singles player.

He kept saying I should smash down the middle of the court. But as I was coached, I was told smashing crosscourt is dangerous because it opens up the court angle for a return to the opposite (our backhand) corner. Smashing cross court was as big a no-no as a cross court clear when my partner is committed to the net.

But because he was such an old player, I'm wondering if there is some tactical reason that I don't know of. We were playing two of his teammates who were in their early twenties and we won the game, but it annoyed me that he kept telling me to do something that didn't seem to make sense.

I had a Chinese coach from Hunan but I only worked with him until 19, so guys who played for university teams and in county teams have had maybe 10 years more coaching than me.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

2. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    In your situation, it is your partner's 'duty' to cover the return. Because you did a smash from deep at the base-line.

But if you smash from the front-base-line or mid-court, it is your 'duty' to cover the return.

Cross smashing is indeed not recommended. Smashing to the middle is a better chooise than cross-smash.

Your partner's position depends on how hard you can smash. If you can smash very hard, it is better to stand a bit far from net.
    How harder you can smash, how further from net your partner must stand. But ofcouse not at the base position for a single.

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Advice varies from player to player.
    Anyone who says "you should always do X in situation Y" is usually wrong.

If I put myself in the position of the defender in this situation, I am happy to defend a smash down the line. I think it is the easiest smash to defend. I find it harder to defend against smashes that are coming at an angle, and also harder to "do something" with the reply.
    With the down the line smash I find it easy to whip it across court to the opposite corner. It is also easier to hit it exactly straight back down the line.
    If the smash comes at a slight angle, I might hit it out the side if I try to put it straight back to your corner.

As the attacker in your situation, I would vary the smashes inbetween "down the line" and "between the 2 defenders". But also you can try to see if the down-the-line defender is defending backhand, neutral or forehand, and try to put it where it is harder for him to respond.

Smashing at an angle into court also reduces the angle of reply for the defender, so it can make it easier for the net man to intercept.

4. Neil Nicholls

Also, it depends on how you have agreed with your partner on how you will attack (if it has been discussed at all)

When I play with someone with a big smash, I (as net man) like to be in a channel attack formation, standing directly in front of my partner (mostly), so I would expect the smashes to be mostly straight. This is because we expect the defender to be less able to "do something" with the reply, so most replies would be straight.

With a wedge attack formation, the smasher can smash more towards the middle.

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Smashing in a doubles games depends on many things, but mainly your ability to cover the court, and your partners position when the shot is played.

If your partner was as you suggested in the middle and fairly deep, and you were in the deep corner, then it would make sense to hit a cross court or down the line shot, since your partner will be closer to where the shuttle would be going (Ie deep to your backhand side-you wont reach it, straight blocks he can move to net).

As you smash straight from the back corner, then it gives your opponent time to see the shuttle, and make ablock, it will be a flatter smash, as you cannot get as much angle, and the straight block will give your partner less time to get to as it is the shortest return to the net for your opponent and longest time to move for your partner.

If the shuttle was smashed from mid court, then a straight smash would probably be fine, as you could give more angle, less time for your opponent to think about he shot, and you could follow up the smash, allowing your partner (I have assumed he was in the same position before your stroke) time to move back for the flick crosscourt, or for the cross court block (risky and unlikely for your opponent). You basically cover the straight flick ad straight block.

It is very complicated however, and require excellent teamwork, andrecognising your partners position on the court, as well as judging your ability to make a shot and your opponenets ability to return it.

Talk to your partner.

You and the elder man are both correct in ways, as you are right that a straight smash is more accurate, easy, and gives the opposition the least time to react.

6. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Here is a few diagrams that will hopefully help.

Attached Files:

7. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    interesting....

8. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Pictures speak louder than word! Awesome diagrams, bighook :D

-dave

9. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It depends

as other posters has alluded to and spoken of.

Depending on the level of your opponents. If you are smashing from the back corner down at one opponent, your partner should be slightly in the court that you are smashing from in the front to cover the block or weak returns. Obviously if you are smashing down the line, then your opponents has a greater angle of return which your front partner need to be able to cut off. Anything over his head is yours.

Smashing cross court (from corner to other corner is a no-no) but it's okay to smash in the middle (again, angle of returns is smaller so your partner can cut off any weak or semi-high returns).

You should vary your smashes anyhow so that your opponents won't know where you will be smashing from. Like you, I have been taught to smash straight down the lines (for channel attack formation) but if your opponents are good at defense, they can flick the return to the other corner catching you and your partner off-guard.

Badminton is not a matter of following process, it's a thinking game so if one tactic doesn't work, then try another.

10. Neil Nicholls

short and sweet.

11. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

I guess the only exception is in mixed doubles. My coach always told me to lift return back at the girl if she smashes from the base-line. However this could be dubious in a tournament cause some girls have a pretty good darn smash. ;)

12. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    Team play

didn't notice anyone mentioning this...so just my comments;

...apart from the importance of playing the proper shots ...you need to play as a team with your doubles/ mixed partner.

Team Work
    Knowing each others moves, strengths and weaknesses, and how to play as at team is important.

for example, if i were given the choice, of a straight smash, and I know that it has a high probability of my opponents to return it with a straight drop (perhaps your opponents know that your partner's footwork is not as quick as it used to be)...and I know that my partner would most definitely not get there in time...I would opt for any of the different shots similiar to those suggested here.

13. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

Very helpful diagrams, thank you.

In the second diagram, with the crosscourt drive return..... who's responsible for returning it? Me as the smasher, or my partner? I like this return, and it often catches the opponents out... I think it could be the front player's fault for standing too close after a weakish smash.

14. archie

archie Regular Member

I had encountered a few times similar to diagram 2 when a high lift to my partner at baseline and I move closer to net ... my partner smashed down straight but the opponent quickly drive flat to cross court area ... at high chance the shot will go pass me and it left my partner to hit the return ... at this time ... either my partner couldn't get there on time or even if he could ... the return will be weak ... :crying:

15. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    similar to archie problem, my partner smashed to the middle like diagram 1 but it was B rather than A that drive returned to the other court. It caught me and my partner a few times.

I reckon my partner smash was correct but this time, it was B that did a great job.

16. rhasan

rhasan Regular Member

Ok guys, i am new here and this is my first post:D. I have a question. What advantages and disadvantages do crosscourt shots (crosscourt smashes and drops) have in singles? So, basically my question is why and when do i perform a crosscourt shot (smash and rop).

17. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Reali when your opponent is out of position esp for the smash, make sure you are in good postion 1st, close to central cause if you are out of position and try this shot, & the opponent gets it back, he will generally play in to your furthest point which makes life hard for you. good mix up shot to esp if everything has been staright or to the middle

18. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

19. DaveC

DaveC Regular Member

IT manager, Lifetime Badminton Player
    For any smashes to be effective, a player have to be able to excute a reasonalbly good drop shot and even some shooting lobs to force them out of position their defending position.
    For the same reason if your drop shots are not effective, then your smashes will be easier for your opponent to counter.

If your smashes have more option then they will find it harder to counter your smashes. Adding some shooting lobs and good drops shots will force error from them if they are "too ready" for your smash.

20. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

Everything you say are correct, if the older partner move to the front to form a front and back attack position.

But now you have an older partner , who prefers side side formation. Reality is that old people cannot do rotate formation at will.

Being beside you, he is right that you take those straight return yourself, which you need to be aware whilesmashing straight. Doing a mid/cross smash is totally fine for both when your are side -side.

Also aware that if the older partner is in front and you are attackingat back, you can only do a smash or drop. Cos if you get tired and do a clear , you may discover he continue to wait at the net .