MP 99 vs. AT800DF

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Sixty40, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Sixty40

Sixty40 Regular Member

i am set on these two rackets. I play both singles and doubles. I am slightly more attacking than defensive...so i am looking for an all around racket. i play singles about 60 percent of the time, doubles about 40. What do you guys think suits me. I used to use the 99 religiously until and i was very pleased.

i am wondering how the at800 df compares to the 99?!?!

i currently use ti-10s and at700s but i am looking for something a little less head head heavy and more well rounded. thanks !!!!

2. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT

I don't know about less head heavy with AT800, AT800 is more head heavy than MP99. I switch from MP99 to AT800 OF & DE, ended up using DE more than OF. They say DE is meant to be lighter that OF for better return of smash etc, but I find DE slightly heavier than OF.

3. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I would suggest you to stick with MP99.
    For more details, you can do a search at previous threads.

4. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Hey BlueJeff,

Have you ever played with an MP-99 that's either a 3U-G4 or 2U-G4? I know you have the 3U-G5 version but I wonder if the 3U-G5 is slightly more head-heavier than the G4 versions or not. I have been using the MP-99 3U-G4 but recently acquired two MP-99, one with 3U-G5 specifications and the other with 2U-G4. It seems like this 3U-G5 is slightly head-heavier and a little stiffer than the 3U-G4. I like the feeling in the G4 better than the new G5. I haven't gotten a chance to try out the 2U-G4 yet so I don't know how it compares to both of the 3Us.

#4 virusvoodoo, Jan 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  5. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    I think the majority of the members on this forum favor the AT800DE more than the MP-99. I have tried the AT800DE 4U-G4 version and it actually felt pretty nice. I think I liked it more than my MP-99 but I haven't gotten a chance to play with it long enough to confirm this.

One thing that I must note about the AT800DE is that you should opt for the 3U version if you decide to go with it instead of the MP-99. The 4U version does not have the punch as my 3U MP-99. Since you are more of an offensive than a defensive player, I think it would make sense to go with this choice. However, surprisingly the 4U still had good amount of power for its lightweight. Drives are excellent with the AT800DE 4U while drops are pretty decent. This racquet has changed my perception of the Armortec series. I used to think negatively about them after having tried the Armortec 700 4U racquet. I think that racquet was just too stiff and too head-heavy for me. The Armortec 800 Defensive version is just right in terms of flexibility.

#5 virusvoodoo, Jan 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  6. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    it actually depends... i got a head-heavy racket and its really tiring but for even balance its less tiring but less smashing power

7. MarkinJapan

MarkinJapan Regular Member

kouchou sensei!
    I play with a ti-10 (3u), an mp-90 (2u), a at-800df (4u), and a at-700 (3u) and will have to say that the at-800 is the easiest to play with.
    Like everyone says about the mp-90 you have to play with it for a while to get used to it. For the first month I hated it, where as the at-800 was hot right out of the bag. To answer your question, I think you will find both of these rackets more `well rounded` than the ti-10 or at700. Coming from a head heavy background you will most likely adjust to the at800 more quickly.

8. hongyi_2000

hongyi_2000 Regular Member

eh...guys...how bout the diff between AT700 and Mp-99 which 1 is more recomended...i played both single and double also...but enjoy single more...more of rallie player

9. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    please read the thread title. thanks.

10. Sixty40

Sixty40 Regular Member

heeeeeeeeeeeeeee

bum bump is i need help asap

11. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Both racquets are very good but I will suggest go with the Armotec 800 DE. You have a Ti-10 and an AT700, both of which are head-heavy racquets similar to the balance of the AT800DE. With its head-heavy balance you can exert great power without much effort. Not only that the AT800DE has better material in the frame which will yield better durability and performance. In my opinion, the AT800DE is less stiff than the MP-99, enough to give good response and power.

But do keep in mind that the differences are small since both racquets are high-end and very good. What matters is the feel that it gives you. As always, try them both if you can before deciding. All of these suggestions are almost useless since everyone is different.

12. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    I am also on this problem but I would like to know how well does the Ultimum Ti on the frame perform... If it really is of no help I may consider a AT800 then... Hopefully not too head heavy like my SOTX woven 13... too head-heavy for me to handle well...

13. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    You should be okay if you are coming from the Ti-10 and the Armortec 700, both of which are of head-heavy balance. I found the Ti-10 to be the least head-heavy in the group and the Armortec to be the most head-heavy. The Armortec 800 DE fits in the middle of this group which to me is just right. However, I am only speaking from experience of using it in a couple of games. I do not own any Armortec racquets yet. I was discouraged with this series from trying out the AT-700 but now I am changing my mind about them and this is all thanks to the AT-800DE. Don't worry about the AT-800DE; it should be a great racquet, unlike those extreme racquets such as the MP-100, AT-700, AT-800OF.

The MP-99s that I am currently using really showed me how extreme the my MP-100s are. The MP-100s requires great skills, which I have yet to achieve, to fully perform its great potential. I feel the AT-700 is similar to the MP-100 but not as extreme. From all the inputs that I've read of the members here in this forum, the AT-800OF is another extreme racquet. Right now, I am trying to stay away from those kinds of racquets until I improve a bit more. But I would definitely want to add the AT-800DF to my collection.

Try them if you can because it will help a lot in your decision.

14. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

I have used ti10, mp99, AT800DF, AT700 as primary racquets in the past, Ti10 for ~2 year, Mp99 ~1 year, AT800DF ~3 months, AT700 ~4 months, all 3U G4 or 5 @24-26lbs.

This is how I'd rate these racquets. Only my personal opinion, I'm sure not all will agree with me.

Swing speed: fastest to slowest
    1. AT800DF
    2. MP99
    3. AT700
    4. Ti10

Power, for a strong wristy player
    1. Ti10
    2. AT700
    3. AT800DF
    4. MP99

Power, for player who use more arm strength
    1. Ti10
    2. AT700
    3. MP99
    4. AT800DF

Driving accuracy:
    1. AT800DF
    2. AT700
    3. MP99
    4. Ti10

Clearing depth accuracy:
    1. AT800DF
    2. AT700
    3. Ti10
    4. MP99

Drop shot precision
    1. AT800DF
    2. Ti10
    3. AT700
    4. MP99

Shock absorption:
    1. MP99
    2. Ti10
    3. AT700
    4. AT800DF

15. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    Thanks.... but i am only looking for MP99 and AT800DE but from the shock abs i will prolly go for MP99:D

16. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    Sixty40, not sure the weights of your rackets but from my personal experience, I switched from a 3U AT700 to a 4U AT700 as I found the 3U version too stiff. The 4U AT700 is now one of my main rackets :). Found it more maneuverable than the 3U AT700 and feel is quite close to a 3U AT800DE.

17. jsunsun

jsunsun Regular Member

Personnaly, I consider too much shock absorption (mp99) is bad. Some shock (AT800DF) give more sense of feel, which increases confidence in performing tight drop shots.

18. virusvoodoo

court mopper
    Overall, how would you rate your racquets (from 1-4) in singles? How about doubles?

19. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    I want to know how much the Ultimum Ti works on the frame or just another gimmick set up by yonex:D like they always do... and i like somethin evenly balanced...

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    just because you dunno how, what and where Ultimum Ti work, that doesn't make it a gimmick. I will reverse the question, do you yourself know how woven work for sotx?

If it really is of no help I may consider a AT800 then

Thanks.... but i am only looking for MP99 and AT800DE but from the shock abs i will prolly go for MP99

You seem to be talking from both sides of your mouth :rolleyes:

#20 cooler, Jan 6, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2005