Bizzare Serve in Double

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kamen, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Hi All,

I played with a veteran yesterday. His serves were amazing. They defied the law of physic.

Ok, here is my story. The guy's norm serve is the forehand low serve. Most of the time, the angle and trajectory were expected. However, once in a while, he would execute the same forehand low serve, using the same motion (looks like) but the bird will fly in a totally unexpected trajectory and angle. I was stunned the first time it happened. The bird landed in without me making any move. :eek:

I could not help but to laugh when the guy managed to do a second and third bizzare serve. :eek: :D :eek: :D :D :D. Needless to say, when the second and third happened, i was also stunned. My feet were still rooted to the floor the moment the bird landed.

I can tell you guys that they were no fluke. I think the guy practiced it since his young days. His serves were just amazing.

Anyone has this experience before?

2. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Sounds like you have been s served where the bird is struck on the feathers first making the bird tumble end over end as it crosses the net.It is illegal as the rules state that the shuttle must be struck on the cork upon serving.I agree it is a bizzare serve and almost entirely unreturnable except only as it straightens out just before hitting the floor. :D

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    As bighook mentioned, one way of doing this is hitting it at the feathers. In the 70s or 80s can't remember, the Sidek brothers created the S-serve that operates in similar manner. The guy you played with improvised by doing it forehand serve.

Yes, it's illegal, if he hits the feather. Else, it's fair.

4. wwcbro

wwcbro Regular Member

Was he holding the shuttle by the cork when he serve? I believe that is how the S serve be executed. Was the Sideks' using the backhand serve back then? It is much easier to do it that way than the f/hand. I know a few guys that can do that, only one that can do it f/hand.

5. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    thanks.

OIC, thanks. I do agree that he hit the feather rather than the cork. Otherwise, it would not be that bizzare. However, I think he managed to disguise it cause i did not notice yesterday that the first contact was the feather.

Since it was just a social game, i would not protest but i still find it amusing and "hilarious". It is just like a trick shot say in pool or snooker. You find it extremely amusing and entertaining! :)

6. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Since he has the forehand serve, it's kind of difficult to see as to whether he was holding the cork or the feather. He turned sideway, hiding the bird as a result, before contact.

I will play with him again next week. Will keep an eye and update........

7. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

well if it broke the law, it must be an illegal serve :D

8. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Does anyone have a video of the s-serve? I've read about it, but have never actually seen it performed.

9. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    You should jusst try it,it's quite easy after you've worded outhow hard to hit it and where to aim (well bearing in mind the shuttle goes anywhere).

Hold the cork of the shuttle in your thumb and first two fingers feathers pointing down and backhand serve normally with a hint of slice across the feathers and see that badboy fly.

Simmilar to snowflakes, no two serves are identical.

10. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    surprisingly, the veteran was able to serve three identical s serves. Not 100% identical but he managed to place the shuttle in the same area! :eek:

It's difficult to explain in words how amazing the serves were, i really hope that he would allow me to video him which i don't think he will agree. :)

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Han has dvds of the 1982 Thomas Cup in which Luan Jin uses it against Rudy Hartono

12. armortec800

armortec800 Regular Member

I rather you keep an eye of his serve while he plays with other people.
    I know only the ban took effect when the cork points up and the feather faces down, due to complaints to IBF, pehaps with effect from the 80s. Hitting the feather created tumbling, while I do not call this a skill, but rather took advantage of the fact.

Try practising this: until 99% of your serves and the cork just rubs across the net yet still in. Then this is what I call, SKILL! :D

13. badnetic

badnetic Regular Member

i understand how he does it..my coach also uses it... it comes from a table tennis serve where he spins the shuttle using the raquet in an inverted c action causing the shuttle to move in the direction sideways:p

14. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    There was an older (70 +) person in Victoria who 'Feathered' shuttle when he served. First time I saw the service against me, I too was amazed and just watched it fly all over the place. Then the next few times I would try and smash it, but it's impossible!! Had to wait for it to tumble out before hitting. He is pretty consistent with the serve and he used it it tourneys, unless there's was an umpire on court.

15. viver

viver Regular Member

Regarding spinning serve, if the server is good at it, he/she would be able to perform different types of effects on the shuttle and also able to tell where it would land. It's hard for the server to attack this type of serve as the shuttle has a erratic flight trajectory - sometimes goes up and dips unexpectedly, sometimes doing a trajectory similar do a 'S'. I've seen serves where the shuttle is flying erratically with feathers pointing towards you making it really hard to attack. But this is a thing from the past, and many people here already mentioned this serve is illegal nowadays.

16. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

If someone uses an S-serve on me but the ref doesn't call it, and I didn't call it (since, as a new player, I didn't recognize it), can I complain about it after the fact?

Can I get that past match defaulted in my favor? Or is badminton one of those sports that, if the ref didn't call it, it stands?

17. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    as with most other sports, you can't get anything changed after the fact. During the match, you have a right to approach the umpire, and ask whether the opponents service is illegal (in a polite manner, of course). If he says no, you have two choices, accept the ruling and continue playing, or...if you are playing in a higher class tournament, you can request to see the referee (but he will almost certainly support his umpire and tell you to keep playing). But under NO circumstance will you get a past match defaulted in your favour. I mean, it wouldnt' be very fair for you to see whether you won or lost...and then decide to complain or not...can't have the cake and eat it too.

18. RealMad

RealMad Regular Member

Fair enough. I'll just have to watch out for that in the future. Thanks.

19. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Besides, how would you aproach the umpire after the game's over?

You: Yeah, you know that serve at 5-13 with me down? That was illegal, in my opinion.

Opponent: It was legal.

You: No it wasn't.

Opponent: Yes it was.

You: No it wasn't.

:D

-dave