Surprising in Indonesia's TC team

Discussion in 'Thomas/Uber Cups 2004' started by jkusmanto, Apr 18, 2004.

1. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    From the resource that I have heard, the Indonesia's TC team is :
    Single : Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Taufik Hidayat, Simon Santoso and Wimpie Mahardi als a reserver.
    The surprising is in the double. Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto and Flandy Limpele/Eng Hian are sure in the team. The third pair will be Candra/Tri Kus (this is the surprising).
    In the TC and UC's simulation in Bandung yesterday (17 April) Candra/Tri Kus is played agains Luluk/Alven and won by 15-10, 17-15.

I am very curious whether this news is true, because Candra and Tri Kus (as I know) never play together.
    If (and only IF) Candra and Tri Kus play as a second double in TC, this will be a complete shock for the other team and also will be a point getter for Indonesia.

For UC, the team is already fixed :
    Single : Silvi Antarini, Maria Kristin, Adrianti Firdasari and Fransisca Ratnasari als reserver.
    Double : Jo Novita/Lita Nurlita, Eny Erlangga/Lilyana Natsir and Greysia Polii/Rani Mundiastuti als reserver.

The actual team will be announced tomorrow (19 April) by PBSI's chairman Chairul Tanjung.

2. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    I think my resource is right.

Read this news in English.

Or this in Indo.

3. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    That is definitely surprising! :eek:
    Why do Indonesians keep switching partners, I wonder which is the third pair to be in the Olympics. Now that I look back to a year ago, I find it stupid for Candra or who ever it was to split up Sigit and Candra. Before, they were the no.1 pair in Indonesia, now, one of them won't be in the Olympics and will be going in as the third pair.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Since the Indonesians have won the Thomas Cup 5 times in a row, it's a bit premature to regard their selection as 'stupid'!:D

5. SmashingBird

I wasn't referring to the Thomas Cup selection, but rather their choice to split up their top pair at that time(World Championship 03). Maybe they thought Candra/Halim would be better than Candra/Sigit but now do you think they are regretting splitting them up?

6. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

base in Spore, heart at wherever Lin Dan n Xuanze
    then y dont pair up candra / sigit again instead of making up a 3rd pair???
    n i tot candra n sigit is pairing up again for TC bcos last mth TC selection for indo players held in Batam... candra is pairing with sigit [​IMG]

7. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Oh, trust me, we all want to see the reunion of Candra-Sigit so badly. But Candra-Sigit's pairing at the 1st simulation in Batam won't go beyond there as the players indicated then.

Here's more news on PBSI announcement:
    http://badminton-indonesia.com/phpnuke/modules.phpname=News&file=article&sid=75

8. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

9. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
  10. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, according to my cousin (who was in the Malaysian junior squad in the same batch as Foo Kok Keong, so I guess he knows something), Sigit was showing signs of slowing down. His performance was pulling Candra down. Therefore, it's better to split the pair and make one great pair instead of having two ok pairs.

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Actually i expected to have a Candra/Trikush combination. Both reflexes are fast and quick on the floor , very commited in their shots. They will be the best partnership besides Candra/Sigit. But PBSI decision to have Candra/Haryanto and Sigit/Trikush is to balance the doubles players and compensate for each others weaknesses.

12. SmashingBird

Because if they pair Sigit/Candra up now, there won't be enough time or tournaments to get them in the Olympics.

13. SmashingBird

Was there two ok pairs? back then Sigit/Candra was obviously the no.1 pair in Indo, while Halim/Trikus was almost unheard of. I think Candra didn't like Sigit's inconsistency and showboating but after teaming up with Halim, they don't seem to be any stronger. Actually, after the split up, both seem to have fade away from the top.

14. jkusmanto

jkusmanto Regular Member

Computer Analyst
    Sigit's performance is slowing down already. If you watch his matches in the recent tournaments. I don't think PBSI make a stupid decision. This decision has been made by the top of PBSI with so many considerations.

In TC 2002, Halim was team up with Tri Kus as second double in the final agains Malaysia. And they got 1 point for Indo. But at that moment, the joker was Hendrawan.
    I think this time PBSI set Candra/Tri Kus as a joker.
    They hope to get 3 points : 1 from Taufik or Sony, 1 from Alven/Luluk or Limpele Hian and from Candra/Tri Kus.
    Is this the scenario of PBSI, let's wait and see ! ;)

15. HoNgHoNg

HoNgHoNg Regular Member

wonder y they change in the 1st place..... :confused:

16. floorfilla

floorfilla Regular Member

From what i read in bolanews.com, most sports journalists in indo expected candra/sigit to be the 3rd pair for TC team other than luluk/alven, flandi/eng hian.. I think that would be a demoralizing factor for halim if he's not chosen?
    I feel like he's somehow being manipulated by PBSI.. After all the work he had done, if he's not chosen to be in the TC team, and IF he can't qualify for the Olympics (touchwood!!), i feel so sorry for him..