Slice Shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kenny, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Kenny

Kenny Regular Member

High School
    Can anyone here tell me how to do a effective slice drop, can you show me what the racquet should look like when you contact the bird and how the bird should contact the racquet, Thanks.

2. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    On your forehand, do everything the same as a smash, but turn your racquet face more to get slice effect. Just practice it and you'll know how much angle you need for the proper slice for where you are and where you want to place the shuttle.

Backhand slice is much more deceptive and my favorite because the shuttle slices to the right side of the court instead of the left....not a lot of players can do that shot or know about it. If A represents the side of racquet you are contacting shuttle in forehand slice, then for backhand, you'll have to slice with the other side of racquet which represents B. Swing like you would for a smash, but contact on other side of racquet to slice to the right.

Lots of practice and keep your racquet swing same speed as a smash.

Best is to ask someone to show you if they can. Might be hard to understand.

Anyone able to slice on backhand or know what I'm talking about?

3. odjn

odjn Regular Member

Student
    backhand slice??? I never knew you can do that!!! I'ma try it out tommorow and well.....maybe i'll do it once if i'm lucky!:D

4. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

Slicing is very difficult to start with because there's less surface face to contact the shuttle. You will definitely miss a lot to start with. Best thing is to toss to yourself and practice slicing just to get the contact, then have someone clear to you.

I wouldn't recommend trying this if you are a beginner. Must have proper smashing technique.

If you watch professional tennis, it's kind of like their second serve they do when they slice it.

5. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

ya ive been practising thsoe 2 types of slices.. 1 of the slices is to hit the shuttle the opp. direction , the other is to cut the shuttle halfway like inwards.. of all the slices i hve done.. some would go out or hit the net but if it goes over.. the opponent will be left standing or they will net back 90% high. so just tap it done.. i use it for singles quite irregularly.. usually i do it when a high service is played to me. for Adv. users who know the concept of the shuttle movement.

6. badmad

badmad Regular Member

this is too good of a technique... I am practicing this for the past 3 months but need lot more time to master it... i suppose it will be one of the most deceptive shots in badminton...

7. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

It's a great shot to add to your arsenal. Takes a long time to master...great to use against beginners and leave them with their mouth open in disbelief!!! :D

Once you get the hang of it,

I like to do this shot against newbies when there's a floater at the net...I charge it like I'm going to make them eat it and slice it hard and it just becomes a slow net, drop shot, while they are running back away from a supposed smash.

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Maybe that's how you do it with a panhandle grip, but it's not the only way.
    I guess if you're a righthander, you rotate you hand anti-clockwise (looking down from above) a bit for forehand slice (right to left), and rotate anti-clockwise a lot for backhand slice (left to right)

I use the same face of the racquet for each of those shots.
    As a righthander, I rotate my hand anti-clockwise (looking down from above) a bit for forehand slice (right to left), and rotate clockwise a bit for backhand slice (left to right)

As you say, keep the same arm motion for each of the shots for disguise.
    You can use either slice from either corner, also.

From the back right, you can have your body facing straight ahead and then either play a plain drop straight or a forehand slice cross-court.

From the back right, you can have your body facing cross-court and then either play a plain drop cross-court or a backhand slice straight (i.e. from back right to net right).

and the reverse options from the back left corner.
    Probably used more in singles than doubles, because the cross-court options are not so effective with 2 defenders on court. But you can still use them in doubles.

I don't see many other players using backhand slice either. Dunno why, it's a great shot.
    I first saw it when someone used it on me in singles, so I taught myself how to play it. Later on, with some coaching, it has got better.

For right-handers, the backhand slice flies faster than the forehand slice due to the arrangement of feathers. Also true for plastics, but less so I think.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Note that there are actually 3 different types of sliced drop:

1. Forehand slice
    2. Reverse forehand slice
    3. Backhand slice

Forehand slice is played from your forehand rearcourt. Reverse forehand slice is played on a forehand action from your backhand rearcourt. Reverse forehand slice is often played using a round-the-head shot action.

Obviously, backhand slice is played from your backhand rearcourt on a backhand action. There would be 4 options, but nobody should play an overhead backhand in their forehand rearcourt!

dtjovan likes this.
  10. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

My backhand slice is a normal backhand grip, there's no such thing as a panhandle backhand.

11. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I believe Kwun mentioned the use of panhandle grip for some of the backhand shots.

12. Neil Nicholls

yep, sorry.
    I read backhand slice and thought forehand reverse slice. So where I wrote backhand in my last post I meant reverse.

Slice and reverse slice can be played both forehand and backhand, but I think I've only once seen anyone play a backhand reverse slice. That was Camilla Martin (vs Gong Ruina I think).

panhandle,
    I got myself confused partly because there is a tennis serve using a normal grip where you rotate the hand as if for a forehand slice but rotated more such that you strike the ball with the other face of the racquet and send the ball left-to-right rather than right-to-left. It flies different to a left-to-right serve hit with the front face of the racquet. (flatter I think, less top-spin. Long time since I played tennis now)

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Wow, Camilla Martin used a reverse backhand slice?! I would have liked to see that. Why on earth did she choose to do that when a forehand would be easier?

14. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    A sliced drop shot is one of many over-the-head shots, the others being the clears and smashes, and is executed by cutting the shuttle. Combining a good attacking clear and a fast sliced shot (otherwise known as a cut half-smash) will give you two of the most devastating shots in world badminton. The first proponent of this is Malaysia's Misbun Sidek, and you can sometimes find these two combinations in some Malaysian players, like the Hashim brothers or players who went through Misbun's badminton academy.

15. Neil Nicholls

It was from her backhand corner. The shuttle went straight.
    I say backhand reverse slice, but it may have been more of a wipe shot.
    I don't know any other term for it. It looks like you're going to go cross-court but you actually play it straight.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's more common than you think:)

17. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Yes, I remember the shot, reverse slice backhand drop wrong footing her opponent for a clean winner. The reverse slice was played for deception. It was at the Denmark Open I believe.

18. mlvezina

mlvezina Regular Member

I do!!... And I still remember the first time I did it successfully. :D

I was playing a single against a strong mixed doubles female player and she had sent the bird deep to my backhand corner. I caught the bird in front of me with my back to the net (i.e. deeper back than I was), snapped the wrist while twisting it sideways and...lo and behold...the bird grazed the tape in her left corner while she was waiting at the net for a straight return...in the right corner.

She looked like one of those cartoon characters whose jaw drops to the floor...and her partner was also laughing at her dismay, which added to the scene.

Like everything else it's not that difficult once you get the feeling for it although there are fewer areas you can use it from, since it's more difficult to control the degree of slice used.

Cheers,

Slicin' Mike

19. Neil Nicholls

I am fairly sure it was the Denmark Open too, now.
    was it Gong Ruina? If so it would have been 2002.
    If it was 2001 it would have been against Pi Hong Yan (in the 5x7 era)

20. Rome076

Rome076 Regular Member

Slice drop.... That's a bit hard to do unless you are returning an unusually "high" drop shot from your opponent.