New Genji Info

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by assault38, Sep 5, 2003.

1. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    I'm new to this forum, so I'd thought I'd say hello to all.

Since the number of inquiries concerning alternatives to Yonex's overprice models is in high demand, I thought I'd share some info regarding GENJI. I am very much contemplating getting one of these and a seller who claims to have some experience with them reply to me with this email:

"Hi,

I like Genji very much. I feel that racquet selection should depend on
    the player who uses it. Yonex MP 100 is a great one, but not everyone
    likes it.

Genji UF-7000 is slightly stiffer than UF-9000. Genji UF-7000 is
    very similar Hi-Qua's best racquet Pro 3500,which has retail price
    of more than $100.00. I think Genji is similar to the level of Yonex MP88
    or Yonex Ti-8. But Genji has a more affordable price."

Hope this helps. I will update if I hear anything else.

Happy smashing,

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The genji lineup hasn't changed lately has it? There's a couple old genji threads and it looks like there's no new models

3. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    I'm not sure. Probably not. I suppose my subject, "New Genji Info" could be a bit misleading. For clarification, I did not mean that there was a new Genji racquet, but instead meant that here is some new information (since I hadn't seen anything new about Genji recently).

Well, my Genji racquets have been ordered. I will be sure to post a detailed review of both racquets after I've had sufficient time to judge them.

4. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    The results are in!

Hello all,

It is my pleasure to bring you the results of my Genji racquet going experience. To refresh you guys on the thread, I recently bought 2 Genji racquets: UF7000 and UF 9000. The 7000 is an isometric widebody w/ titanium highlights at 3 and 9 o'clock and the 9000 is your standard isometric (ala Yonex) w/ titanium highlights at 2 and 10 o'clock. Both are pre-strung at 19-20lbs and have a weight around 83 grams+-2 grams (w/o string). Both medium flex.

I was told by the seller that the 7000 was designed more for powerful, advanced players and was better for singles, while the 9000 was for moderate players and gave them more control and geared towards doubles. Here's my experience:

I had a 3 hour shift at the gym. I split the time in half to get a chance to experience each racquet equally. The first 1 and a half hours, I played w/ the 9000, since we mainly play doubles games. Immediately, I began to feel the benefits of this racquet. Since I had played w/ a Cab 15 standard oval head for a lil while, switching to an iso was somewhat enlightening. I could finally lob to the heavens and have it drop on the line and my smashes were much faster and precise. Net work and serves were about the same, though my flick was much better. I'd say the 9000 was good for all around control and sufficient power. It was so comfortable that I almost had second thoughts about bringing out the 7000. But I'm a man of my word.

The second half of the 3 hours I switched to the 7000. Although my shots were much improved from my Cab 15, the control and ease of smashing weren't so obvious as the 9000. However, the main advantage I discovered came when I hit the shot precisely where the "sweet of the sweet spot" was. The effect was devasting. My forehand smash was even faster (and louder) than the 9000 and I actually could execute the backhand smash I had worked so hard to master w/ my Cab 15. In short, I could see why the 7000 was indeed good for advanced players. I'm not saying I'm advanced at all (I hit a lot of mediocre shots). But when I was hitting precise shots, this racquet's strength came out. I think the 9000 standard isometric head affords medium level players the opportunity to be lazy w/ shots. That is one of the reasons I will continue to use both. I consider myself a pretty determined player and one that continually looks for ways to improve.

So anyways, the short on the long is that these GENJI racquets are VERY GOOD, and EXCELLENT for the price (7000+9000+2 grips+nice full racquet case=$82 including shipping). Once I have more experience playing w/ these I will be better to judge if these are excellent overall. Note, these racquets are definitely not some magical wand, for skill is of greatest importance. However, these tools helped me get the job done, so to speak.

As far as I'm concerned, Yonex racquets can continue to mark up their ungodly prices because I'm sure not contributing to their campaign to take over badminton. Not that their racquets aren't good, but just overhyped and overpriced. Trust me folks, there are EXCELLENT alternatives and Genji is one of them.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the review, just have 2 questions:

1. In that site, I can only find KV9000, but no UF9000. Is that a mis type, or UF9000 is an old model that not listed on site, but more like a "throw in" for ur deal?

2. U say UF7000 is like med flex, but I think HQ3500 is listed as ultra stiff. I know different manufacture might have different standard, but this seems to be a little bit "too much" difference for me.

6. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Re: Re: New Genji Info

Hi Lazy,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) No, this is not a mistype. Apparently the UF9000 is currently out of stock at the Genji official site (perhaps indicating a hot item?). Actually I did not buy directly from the web site but a private seller. Should you be interested, I will be glad to refer you.

2) I noticed this as well. I think there must be a difference in flex, however slight. My observation from the 7000 is that it is not stiff, but moderately flexible. More specifically, if you hold the racquet by the grip and bend the head w/ yr hand, it will flex w/ some resistance. Honestly, I have never played w/ a very stiff racquet, so I can't compare. Other than the stiffness, I think the basic body shape (isometric widebody) and even color scheme are similar.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Thanks for the info.

Just spoke with the owner, seems some particular models are not listed on the site. The good thing is, I can customize my own "package" even such combo not being metioned on site. Now, I am a little bit interested about "digging gems" again.

Can u give me more info regarding to the "balance" point of the this 2 rackets?

8. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Can u give me more info regarding to the "balance" point of the this 2 rackets? [/B][/QUOTE]

According to the site, the balance pt is 12 inches from the butt of the handle. Using the "finger test" (i.e. balancing racquet from the end of my finger), I'd say that's about right. The balance point is approximately the middle of the shaft (from head-joint to top of the cone).

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    12 inch is about 300 cm. So, I think that means balanced or a little bit head heavy then.

Thanks for the info again. How come I did not find the info from their site? :rolleyes:

10. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    paint job

I just thought of something that might be of concern to certain picky players.

One thing I did notice about the Genji racquets is that the paint job is not ultra-professional. By this, I mean the color scheme is pretty good, but there are some slight flaws in the finish.

Upon opening the package, I slightly disappointed. But I figured I'd play w/ them first (which is their true intended purpose). After seeing their performance, I don't even see the cosmetic flaws. After all, looking good and playing poorly just makes you a poseur.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: paint job

What do u mean by "flaw"? Very obviously? Since u can see it as soon as u open up the package...

But the pics they put online was kinda nice. Not sure what "degree" of flaw u referring to. :rolleyes:

12. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Re: Re: paint job

Okay, let me be more specific. On a scale of 1-10 of observability, 1 being low and 10 being ultra-anal observant, I would rate myself a 10. So when I said "as soon as I opened the package," I meant that I picked up each racquet and examined it closely w/in a 5 min time frame from the first opening of the box. Flaws, in general, meant that the paint lines aren't quite exact or the airbrushing isn't exact.

I'd say 99% of most people would not be able to notice it, unless they were in kissing distance from your racquet head. Specific enough? Heh.

I hope this helps,

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Lol...

Then, guess I won't really care too much any more. Once I receive stuff, I generally just check the cracks. A little bit mis-paint here and there never bothers me.

14. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Okay, so the mid price Genji rackets are decent. How about the top-of-the-line Genji rackets? How do these rackets stack up?

Ron

15. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    First, I must add that the Genji racquets are better than decent. Very good as to performance, at least.

Second, I'd imagine that the top-of-the-line models are just as good, considering that the models that I tested were once the top-of-the-line, from reading past posts. But can't make an accurate judgement on speculation.

Anyone else up to the challenge? C'mon guys, think outside of the (Yonex) box. Heh.

16. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Sometimes a lower model may actually be better than the top of the line model. The Ti360 is now on sale. It is $69 without strings and $79 with strings. How does this racket play? Also, what is the warrantee. I would not want my racket strung at 28lbs and will probably want it strung at about 23 lbs or so.

Ron

17. trungnasa

trungnasa New Member

has any one used the Genji Force 1200ti? How is it compared to other Genji mid-price racquets?

18. mtk2

mtk2 Regular Member

Business
    Can anyone please let me know the address of manufacturers of the Genji products.

19. assault38

assault38 Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hi

I didn't think I'd see this thread again, hehe.

Anyhow, here is the online address: http://ebadminton.stores.yahoo.net/

Although their products are made in Taiwan, their store is in California. The physical address, according to their website is:

Bozeman Marketing Group, Inc.
    483 Montague Expressway
    Milpitas, CA 95035

Hope this helps,

20. mtk2

mtk2 Regular Member

Business
    Thanx a lot for ur reply. But I believe this is the address of there distributors.