NEWS : Choong Hann gets the nod over youngster Beng Hong for world championships

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by seven, Jun 1, 2005.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    [size=-1]The Star Online > Sports[/size]
    Wednesday June 1, 2005
    [size=+2]Choong Hann gets the nod over youngster Beng Hong for world championships[/size]

By LIM TEIK HUAT KUALA LUMPUR: Experience won the day for Wong Choong Hann when the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) made their selection of players yesterday for the World Championships, which will be held in Anaheim, California, from Aug 15-21.

The 28-year-old Choong Hann got the nod over youngster Kuan Beng Hong as the third Malaysian men's singles entry.

The veteran was picked to join national number one Lee Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz Hashim in the team because it was felt that he would be better in handling big-match temperament compared to the 22-year-old Beng Hong.

Chong Wei and Mohd Hafiz are now ranked fourth and sixth respectively in the world. Choong Han is at number 11 and Beng Hong is one rung below.

[​IMG]
    WORD OF ADVICE: Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Azalina Said (right) having a chat with BAM coaches (from left) Yap Kim Hock, Li Mao and Misbun Sidek watched by BAM president Datuk Mohd Nadzmi Salleh (second from right) at the National Badminton Training Centre at Stadium Juara yesterday.

But seasoned campaigner Choong Tan Fook will not get to make a fifth consecutive appearance in the world championships.

Tan Fook in his partnership with Chew Choon Eng are ranked 19th and they are qualifiers for the championships. But the BAM coaching and training committee in a meeting chaired by president Datuk Mohd Nadzmi Salleh yesterday gave the nod to three younger pairs.

World number eight Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat will be joined by Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Mohd Fairuzizuan-Lin Woon Fui.

Except for Chong Ming, the others will be making their debut in the championships. At the last championships in Birmingham in 2003, Chong Ming partnered Choon Eng and they were the quarter-finalists.

National chief coach Yap Kim Hock said that Choong Hann, who was the runner-up to China's Xia Xuanze in the last championships, was the better bet to rise to the occasion.

“Beng Hong is a good player and he is shaping up well. But Choong Hann has vast experience. The coaches are also satisfied with his current form and we think he is the better candidate for the job,” said Kim Hock.

Beng Hong can only see action in the championships if one of the three entries is ruled out by injury or a wildcard is granted by the International Badminton Federation (IBF).

Choong Hann, who will be tying the knot on June 11, was thankful that he would be realising a fifth appearance in the championships. Plans for a honeymoon with Leaw Pik Sim will have to wait. He will resume training a day after the wedding.

“I have to thank the coaches and the BAM for giving me this opportunity. I hope to prepare myself well with the help of the coach (Li Mao) over the next three months. I see myself as supporting Chong Wei and Hafiz,” said Choong Hann, who made his debut in the championships in Glasgow in 1997.

The southpaw reached the third round and lost to the then reigning Olympic champion, Poul-Erik Hoyer-Larsen of Denmark.

The upcoming world meet could well be his swansong as a singles player but Choong Hann said that he had not thought about it this way.

“I am focussed on my training and I think I am starting to get my rhythm back.

“If I have a chance to challenge for the title, I will certainly take it,” he said.

Yesterday, the BAM also gave the nod to former national player M. Sutheaswari as the second women's singles representative together with Wong Mew Choo.

Sutheaswari, who is currently training under former international Ong Beng Teong, will have to find her own sponsors for her outing in California.