Do grips vary as color varies?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by New_Guy04, Sep 25, 2004.

1. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

i'm using A440 YONEX SUPER GRAP... i bought one package in white and one package in neon green... i put my green grip on my ISO TISP SS (3uG4) and put white grip on my mp 99 (3u G5), and i found that the textures between them are different. while the green one felt a little dry and slippery... the white one felt really moist, soft, and tacky...i'm sure they are teh same kind of grips, and the tension i put when wrapping these grips are equal (not tightly)... and i used them for about equal times... why is that? does the color ACTUALLY matter?:confused:

2. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    I used to use White, I felt same!!! Black feels very different from White somehow, I don't really like it... And Yellow is kinda like White... Never used Green...

3. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    i've actually have noticed a difference in the grips as well. i have a blue grip on my AT500 and does it feels totally different from the black grip that i have on my other racket. i've been wondering the whole time maybe its the way i placed the grip on that makes them feel different.

4. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

yup... my experience tells me

white> blue> purple> green

as in compared to moist, durability and softness

white is best, then blue, then purple, than green...

this is a lil weird, now we'll have to choose teh colors of grips when choosing yonex super grap...:mad:

5. Feng_MP-100

Feng_MP-100 Regular Member

Student
    Hehe, I like white too... But it gets dirty really easily and it's so obvious, then the grip will look nasty... >_<" I guess I'll have to wash my hands every time before I play badminton... Haha...

6. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    There are following colors in Super Grap generally so far:

Pink, Red, Neon Green, Green, Blue, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Navy Blue, White, Purple, Dark Purple, Yellow, Orange, Black.

I own most of them in either thin or thick version and my inventory never drop below 20 packs, and for years of usages so far, I like White and Black the best.

Reason: I like basics stuff :) Something that is too shining is just not my style, although my gf has a complete different taste than me....... I don't notice much of significant differences in difference in colors. Black or Purple or Blue grips last pretty much the same.

7. Tomsk

Tomsk Regular Member

I avoid black grips.
    It absorbs heat from my hand and warms up, which then causes my hand to sweat more and thus lose grip.

8. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    I thought the albedo effect (the one on absorbing heat because of the colour) only worked on light energy? Unless i was taught wrong..........then i have to sue my teachers :D

P.S. Greed looks the best, cause no one uses it :p

9. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

maybe the color substance they use in differs... which causes different feelings for each different colored grips?:confused:

10. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For towel grips, there is a definite difference in quality between light and dark coloured grips. The black grips are frequently much less soft than the white ones.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u have sensitive girly hands :p ;)

12. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

haha, lol i think i do too... but i'm a guy, (if u c my user id u know), so girly hands demeans my manhood...:D

could ppl (who have sensitive hands to feel difference) post their opinions about each color and their differences? ie. which one's the softest one, which one's the driest, which one's teh most un-durable, etc etc. btw, it's ok if u guys omit pink or light purple... i'm not g2 use it anyways...:cool:

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it wasnt meant to demean you, girls like sensitive guys u know ;) :)

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

new_guy, i had a look into this and you are......right.

I tried several color yonex grap for my racquets and it's true the white grip felt the softest and most supple. In order, next softest is yellow, then lavender, then orange, and then lime (that's all the color grap i had to test with). You all can see the trend here ;)

As for a technical reason, the raw ingredients are first bleached before adding color dye/pigment for product consistency. White is bleached color and no dye/pigment is required. When color is added, the dye/pigment molecules bind with the foam matrix molecules and make it less supple. The darker the color, the more dye/pigments are used to achieve desired color. I'm not sure if individual color dye/pigment has unique affinity to bind with the synethetic foam/rubber compound. I'm assuming dark colored grip requiring more dye/pigment to achieve its final color.

Same reason explains Gollum's comment about white versus colored towel grips.

#14 cooler, Oct 30, 2004
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  15. New_Guy04

New_Guy04 Regular Member

lol this topic must have slipped out of my mind:p

yeah... glad that we are all unanimous about this... and btw i'm only g2 buy white and yellow from now on, lol. i found that the more DARKER grips lose tactiness too fast, cuz they are dry (like u said cooler). o well, i still LOVE THIS GRIP!:D