Say Hi! Canadian?

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Brave_Turtle, Oct 29, 2003.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Wow! Chia! Castor?!?! No wonder you're dying to play:D Anyway, you got a place to play when you move to Edmonton next year. From the sound of it, you must be a very good player yourself. Folks at U of A baddy club will definitely welcome you there:)

2. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    :)

i got a question.. do u have to be a U of A student to join? cause depending what my marks are this year, i might go to different schools but UofA is definately my top priority. I look forward to playing with u guys though.

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Chia,

Yes, you have to be an affiliated student to join... that's the mandate of the club- just for the students. However, I have seen some non-affiliated people dropped-in for games. The club's usually busy throughout the year except when it's before long weekends or during exam weeks, but don't let that deter you.

As a student sport club, we get our shares of young lady players:D Unfortunately, most of them are either newbies or unavailable or both:( Still, it has a better ratio than some of the other clubs I frequented:). Now how's that for motivation:D?

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Ming, why didn't you tell me man?! hahah:D

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Dude,

Cuz we don't want you and your big smile to steal all the ladies away:D Anyways, you are going to U of A next year, right? What's the hurry?:)

6. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Hi there,

I play at U of A E19 on the weekends. And I'm a member at IBC although I don't get to go there to play as much as I would like to. I play in Pavilion with a few of my classmates just casually for fun pretty often too. Yonexfanatic knows me. Wassup man? Haven't seen you in a long time.

Take care.

7. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

how's it going? good with me. i haven't played at IBC for a long time as I'm usually at the Derrick playing ladder.

8. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Im still in High School, im Gr 11 in Burnaby and i usally play @ bonsor recreational Center on Thursdays and Fridays from around 4:15-ish to 7:00 with a $1.85 drop-in, there are 6 courts open on thursdays and 8 court open on Fridays
    Bonsor is where alot of Beginner/Intermidiate Players go to, and some times some really advance players shows up, and its always really crowed!!
    And on Saturday I also go and Play At Burnaby South Secondary, with a $1.85 drop it from 12:00 -2:30 6 to 9 courts depending on the amount of people that show up.
    Bby South are where More Strong players show up to.
    And on Friday back @ Bonsor again for adult Badminton Which i dont' think im allow in ^^" from 9:00 to 11:00-ish, with 8 courts for around $4.00 i think, and
    Family badminton with 2 courts ~.~ from 11:00 to 12:30 which allows in 18 People (which is ridiculous)

So if u wish to drop in and play for a Bit, Have FUn! ^^
    Btw: they're both in Burnaby Near Metrotown, and if there are anywhere else that I can play that is cheaper and better, and around the metrotown area Please Tell me!! Thx
    u can jus Sneek in if u want to, jus don't get caught ^^"haha

#48 Yipom, Dec 8, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  9. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

Im still in High School, im Gr 11 in Burnaby and i usally play @ bonsor recreational Center on Thursdays and Fridays from around 4:15-ish to 7:00 with a $1.85 drop-in, there are 6 courts open on thursdays and 8 court open on Friday
    Bonsor are where alot of Beginner/Intermidiate Players go to, and some times some really advance players show up, and its always really crowed :p!
    And on Saturday I also go and Play At Burnaby South Secondary, with a $1.85 drop it from 12:00 -2:30 6 to 9 courts depending on the amount of people that show up.
    Bby South are where More Strong players show up to.
    And on Friday back @ Bonsor again for adult Badminton Which i dont' think im allow in ^^" from 9:00 to 11:00-ish, with 8 courts for around $4.00 i think, and
    Family badminton with 2 courts ~.~ from 11:00 to 12:30 which allows in 18 People (which is ridiculous)

So if u wish to drop in and play for a Bit, Have FUn! ^^
    Btw: they're both in Burnaby Near Metrotown
    u can jus Sneek in if u want to, jus don't get caught ^^"haha

10. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Yipom,

Thanks for the information on your favorite baddy hangouts:). Very much appreciated. Bonsor is strictly drop-in, is it not? I am hoping to hookup with a badminton club in the long term, so I will keep those two places in mind if I ever need a 'quick fix' in between club sessions:D.

11. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    quick fix? VRC is 24hours/7days a week ... if you join, you might as well get your money's worth and play there ... only downside is the drive from Burnaby to VRC ...

*sigh* I can just hear Badrad (who commutes from SURREY to VRC) step up to comment on this :)

-dave

12. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    okay....:D

Burnaby drive to VRC - ha - peanuts! a short hop, you could probably jog to the club each day! just kidding - there are some treacherous (driving) streets in the city that I would not ask anyone to jog through.

actually considering if you wind up playing every day of the year (365 days) for an adult membership equates to around $1.75 per day (total 24 hours). The main obvious convenience of the club is 24x7 so means that your games or training is not dictated by any program for sign up or line up. The only workaround is there are scheduled activities through the day, and working your plan around it to make you maximum use plan.

The nice thing about the vrc is if mrs and i are just sitting around on our fat butts, we would just get in the car and drive to the club. We couldn't do that with any other center or gym.

And yes, our commute is around 30 minutes on a good day. And with different work schedules to try to juggle, mrs. and I have worked out a schedule for at least 4 times a week which also includes coming to the club after 10pm, and working out to midnight or later. Not that late considering other players like Timeless, PeteLSD (and bro') and others are also there and later into the wee hours.

On some weeks we have been to the club twice a day (ie. morning play and then evening), or managed to play at the club every day of the week. But that's extreme on the body.

13. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Geez! Badrad, now that you put it like that... I feel ashamed about my posting:eek:. 4 to 7 times a week?! You must be in tip top condition for a senior guy:eek: (Hmm... note to self: never get drawn into singles games with Badrad until my endurance is adequate:D).

Barring unforeseen obstacles, I might check out VRC (good investment given the 24 hour availability and gym as well as other extra nice facilities). Of course, I would like to rely less on my vehicle given the horrible traffic in the city. First time I visited Vancouver, I got a terrible headache just from driving around the city... not a good sign:(. Bonsor and Burnaby South Secondary might be good alternatives if I don't have a ride.

BTW, my future abode is located near Royal Oaks station... about a good 15mins' walk. Any more suggestions of alternative badminton clubs within biking or walking distance would be greatly appreciated:).

14. Traum

Traum Regular Member

Collingwood neighbourhood house is pretty much right there at Joyce Station. From what I've heard, their Sunday crowd is a pretty competitive bunch.

On Monday evening, the folks at Cameron Community Center is pretty skilled too.

On Tuesdays (evening again, I think), I was told that there are some pretty good players at Renfrew.

On Fridays evenings and Saturday noon-ish, there are also some good crowd at Britannia community center.

And ClearOne in Richmond has drop-ins every night except on Wednesdays.

-Rick

15. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    2am and still coding away...

From previous posts, joining a badminton club such as the VRC is something you must consider carefully. Most community centers - as Traum mentioned are quite good in quality and quantity of play. There are more than enough places all over town for you to get sufficient play time.

Joining a racquets club - really like any other club, is a life style change. Of course you can stay at arms length and just use it like a community center, but if you want full value of membership, you can consider it an extension of your personal space. just so happens that this personal space is HUGE... Most of the club members IMO have adapted the club environment, and is a big part of their lives. Many members - like ourselves - drop by even when not playing, just to hang out, take a shower or whatever. It just becomes another familiar place to hang out.

Getting to the VRC without a vehicle may be a bit tough, but not impossible. Skytrain from Burnaby will certainly cut down some of the travel, but you will need several transfers to get to the club from Royal Oak station. By car, Royal Oak to the VRC is roughly 15 minutes or so, traffic depending, so not too bad a drive.

Britannia is a good hangout. We usually drop by on Friday nights, after we finish off at the VRC and dinner. Saturdays is a decent crowd as well, we are usually there too in the afternoons. I'm usually the one sleeping on the bench.

16. tama-aki

tama-aki Regular Member

Grad student
    Guelph, ON

Hey guys,

I've just moved in to University of Guelph on an exchange program. Originally from Singapore, but born in Indonesia.

Quite surprised that a lot of players on campus but badminton doesn't have a club. It used to in the past, someone said, until there was a problem with the coach and they decided not to have it again. A truly unfair decision for the badminton enthusiasts. :mad:

The only place I know to play is UoG Athletic Center. I do come to Toronto on weekends though and found one badminton club in Chinatown, but their announcement is in Mandarin--can't read or speak. :(

Didn't realise how expensive the equipments in here. My friends are sending me shuttlecocks from Singapore . I still haven't got the control of nylon shuttles, but ajdusting it pretty well I guess, during this 2 months of playing.

We have a time slot on Tue and Tue from 9:30 pm to 11:30 pm. Plus the intramural on Sunday.

I find something interesting about most players here, they really love to smash and play game power. I played against one of the toughest pairs, but they weren't really happy or patient enough with dropshots :D

Some of them seemed to have changed their styles though--probably knowing that badminton is not all about smash :D

Aki

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Rick and badrad,

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I am getting a feel of what clubs I will be joining. VRC, despite its many benefits, remain elusive to my plans... major reason being financial. Perhaps once things stabilize for me, VRC membership will become a possible reality.

Badrad is right about joining racquet clubs being a lifestyle choice. Ever since I started playing in the UA badminton club, I have made many friends and come into contact with some of the people who are highly involved in the badminton scene in Edmonton. I am sure it'll be the same when I move to my new home:).

Ming