What stringing techniques have been working for you?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vipjun, Nov 3, 2010.

1. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

Theres been many stringing techniques discussed on the forum, some are recent others have been discussed many years ago. Was wondering what techniques have been successful and what methods didn't work out.

Some i can state off the top of my head.

1piece vs 2piece
    10% more on the crosses
    Proportional vs constant , if you go proportional what is your formula?
    skipping or adding crosses
    string pattern (deviations from yonex recommended)
    -where do you start? where do you tie off?
    -do you string bottom top, top to bottom, or from the center out
    knotting
    clamping style
    Double or triple pulling on a crank
    Prestretch

#1 vipjun, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  2. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    So far i'm happy with 2 piece, usually using the yonex pattern for the last 2 mains. I have used proportional, but i think it loses more tension as the strings settle in, or seems to. For regular tensions (ie, well within manufacturer recommendations) i don't think it's really needed. If you're pulling crazy high tensions then i'd certainly consider it, although having said that i tend to put an extra pound on the middle 8 mains (which is covered by the screw down load spreader/mount of my machine) to counteract tension loss from the starting pin method and all the flying clamp moving. I rarely pull full tension on the very top and very bottom crosses, usually if i do on the top it will pull my starting knot into the grommet, and i like symmetry.

Personally i prefer to string middle out on the mains, and top down on the crosses, seems easier that way. As i have 4 flying clamps (2 that came with my machine and 2 Yonex) i use them all on the mains, keeping the YY ones at the bottom, and the others at the top. When it comes to the last mains, i'll double clamp while i tie off the knot. Usually i clamp from below to stop them falling over on the mains, but above on the crosses because i'm lazy until the last few when i need to see which strings to weave over.

I'm still getting my head around the weave one ahead method, it certianly makes it easier to weave, but needs some forward planning. Also, because i'm stingy with string (i use 5m for mains, 4 for crosses) i don't have enough spare to weave ahead when i get to the last few crosses. I have always added 2lbs/10% on the crosses, it's been fine so far so i havn't deviated, although i have a 6 point mount it feels right somehow.

Still can't yet weave like a pro, sometimes have to resort to a string mover/hook to do the last cross as space it too tight between the clamp and the arms or my machine. I can't seem to make a neat parnel or starting knot, so i generally stick to the good ol' double half hitch for everything, unless i need more bulk then i'll add an extra half hitch.

Using Zymax62 i don't think a prestretch achieves anything much (i maye be wrong) so i don't bother, i don't have a problem with coils anyway.

3. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Actually I seem there is one thing that is missing, a distraction like music or television. If I just string and string it becomes a chore, but if there's a distraction it isn't as bad. I can string a lot longer infront of the TV than in silence, and I get more done.

4. vipjun

vipjun Regular Member

Thanks for the great detailed post Rav,

Certainly i've left somethings out initially. Hopefully with some additional feedback from other stringers i can do some kind of regression analysis for all BC members.

Lord, definitely can understand the benefit of some distraction if doing many string jobs consecutively.