*** How to ask the ultimate equipment question in BadmintonForum.com? ***

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Pecheur, Jan 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Grr, we seem to be getting more of these open ended questions, can we have a sticky about how to ask for recommendations for equipment?

IE:

If you want a grip, answer these questions:
    1. Do you like tacky or smooth grips?
    2. Do you like hard or soft grips?
    3. Do you know what overgrip is, if not then think about it ;P
    4. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    5. Do you sweat a lot?

If you want a racquet:
    1. How often do you play, how serious are you?
    2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)
    3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?
    4. How much money do you want to spend?

Etc.

MrWilsonxD likes this.
  2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    excellent suggestion Pecheur, i have splited your post into a new thread, and i think it is a problem that BF is having.

to summarize. many times, people will start off with such open ended questions such as:

"tell me what is the best racket!"
    "how do i improve my skills?"
    "what is the best string to use?"

these are very vague questions that are difficult to answer in the first place. moreover, people often ask them without giving others any background, eg, what level of play, style of play, goal, etc. without which, whoever decides to respond can only guess how to help and more often answering the wrong question. wasting all of our time.

so please, if you want to ask a question, be specific and think about how you can help us answer your question. afterall, you are here to seek answer, so ask in a way that your question can be answered...

Rajesh.rm2 likes this.
  3. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Kwun can we have this over on the equipment forum as a sticky, or mirrored on both? It seems that most of the questions that irritate me most occur over there: "What's the best racquet/string/grip/shuttle/etc?" or "Is the MP77 a good racquet?" At least on general open ended questions like "How to improve my smash?" are sort of answerable.

PS I know this probably sounds a little grumpy to the newer members, but a lot of us have been here for a long time, and a few, well at least myself, Kwun probably Cheung, LB and quite a few others, read every single damn post and to read the same thing over and over again without direction is annoying.

#3 Pecheur, Jan 6, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  4. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    maybe you can find a way to make this post pop up when a new member signs in, that way you will ensure that the newer members might have already glanced at it.

5. Shoulderpain

Shoulderpain Regular Member

ESL teacher
    I totally agree with everyone. Oh, and by the way, which badminton shoes are best for me when I play?

6. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Kwun already answered this question... it's the ones that fit your feet!

You'll have do a search next time like everybody else ;)

7. ayl

ayl Regular Member

Professional procrastinator
    G'day,

Another thing for the newbies on this forum is to read the REVIEWS section. There's enough information on just about every racket / string / grip / underwear ;) / shoe / shuttle and so forth to turn a total novice into a knowledgeable consumer. And the best part is the information listed there are posted from players around the world, from beginners to advanced and offer many point of view not covered by regular forum posters.

Kwun's done a great job revamping the Reviews section recently. So please read it before posting another "Is MP100 better than AT700?"

8. TheGr8One

TheGr8One Regular Member

University Student (CS)
    There's rackets that need to be added to the Review section..ie: MP22/27/33/55, also new ones coming out like Cab30 MS, MP60 and AT800
    Pointfore rackets: (The names are listed at Pointfore's website. I've had the chance of using Pointfore rackets during a tourney, and would give a review if the racket was listed).

Also, it would be nice if it was possible to show all rackets from a manufacturer at once, as an alternative to show 24 rackets/page at most.

9. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    We need to be Careful with posting threads....

We seriously need to find a way to reduce the numbers of meaningless/answerless threads. In past a month, I think there were tons of threads asking what's the best rackets or strings out there. Or people would ask something that is solely based on personal preferences.
    Lately, I have found them to become very very annoyed, burden the loads to the moderators, and they have brought down the quality of threads as well.

It would be very very sad to see if BF becomes a site like China's badminton forums, where people just post whatever things there. So, we must protect BF's tradition of great quality of threads; We must protect this house! :)

Here is the some ideas that I will recommend:

1. Could Kwun make the sticky threads in "Bold" or in some flashy colors? I found it to be very easily to ingore the sticky threads (including this one) if one is not looking very carefully. Many new members seem to not reading rules enough...

2. Lots of users don't use search function because:
    One, They don't know there is such a thing, and
    Two, They want to re-confirm and build their confidence. Especially on their personal purchases, people tend to re-ask the questions just because they want to feel good about it by having lots of people concuring the buy. This is very meaningless in the long run, and will make our site to become hard-to-search in threads in the future.

10. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Perhaps...this forum can be run like http://slashdot.org where posts are rated for quality? but then...this isn't really a site for nerds :D

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    #11 Cheung, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.