Question about getting a new racquet.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by fiendishsword2, May 5, 2007.

1. fiendishsword2

fiendishsword2 Regular Member

Hello,

I started playing badminton in France with my cousin that lives there. That was about 5 years ago. Since then I've always enjoyed playing badminton. I've only been playing it on and off (P.E class back in middle school). However, our High school just recently started a badminton team this year. So i joined it and decided that i should get my own racquet.

I bought a power plus 4000 HL racquet about 3 months ago at a big 5 sporting goods for about 24 dollars because i thought that since I'm perfecting the basics down, it would be best to get used to the various aspects of game play before investing a good deal of money in a racquet.

However, I'm now having doubts about this racquet. I'm under the impression that the strings on my racquet are a bit loose compared to others. Maybe this is because I've overused it? I've had this feeling for the past two weeks because i can't seem to get the birdie as far as i normally do without providing extra strength in my swing and wrist snap. I tried one of our school's racquet and it was amazing compared to mine. The shots were more accurate, powerful and required less energy on my part.

I'm a singles player, probably more defensive than offensive yet take advantage of smashes. I'm not sure what i should do. I feel like I'm no longer a beginner anymore since I'm now ranked 1st for our school's badminton team and capable of playing a good single match with other school's #1 player. I am considering getting a new racquet but i don't know where to start. I'm looking for a racquet that provides good control, not too heavy, and decent with smashes. I've got big hands and long fingers.

1. How often do you play, how serious are you?

I play about 2 to 3 times a week when we had practice. Now it's mostly matches against other schools-2 a week-. I'm trying to find a partner to play on the weekends but have yet to find any.

2. What style of player are you? (Aggressive smasher, net player ...)

As said above I'm more of a cautious aggressive player. I only smash when i think it's a good shot and i prefer net plays.

3. Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance?

I care more about durability although I don't want my shots to go way off course.

4. How much money do you want to spend?

About 60 to 80 US dollars.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

You are in N. Cal, why not look up some club near you and ask the pro shop for a demo? You can find a racquet you like within your range and cut down mistake.

3. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Maybe you want to try restringing your racket first?

4. fiendishsword2

Well one of the questions i was asking myself was that because this raquet is rather low quality, would it not be advantageous to buy a new one instead?

5. Tsumaranai

Student
    Possibly, but it would be better to restring it, just to see if it makes a difference. And, you would want to restring it anyway, if perhaps, you'd want to use it later for some reason.

6. silentheart

I feel the racquet is about 50%. Big5 is not known for selling playable badminton racquet. 50% is the string, They are too cheap and too loose. What is the point to pay $20 to string a $24 racquet? Just get a new mid range racquet frame only. Shop can usually string it for you for free as good well.

7. Tsumaranai

Student
    I doubt it'd cost $20 to restring a racket, unless you had to purchase some string, which none of the strings cost that much, anyway. It would be free labor. He didn't mention the cost.

8. silentheart

Sorry, I am just using an extreme example. I really don't know the cost of restringing a badminton racquet at Big5 anymore because they do not even carry badminton string. Last time I had my string at Copland Sporting Goods in California, it cost $18 for the string and labor. That was 20 yr ago. I do have to admite that I have no idea on how much people charge for stinging job now a day.

Back to subject. I just don't think it is worth to restring a racquet cost $24 when the player has improved and ready for a new racquet.

9. Loppy

Loppy Regular Member

Yes, I'd definitely recommend you to get a new racket, I don't know if you can get any good rackets for that price though, maybe try a low end yonex?

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    i agree. Also, US$60-80 is a bit tight if you go for Yonex. Take a look at other reputable manufactures, and their med range models could be very decent as well.

11. tengies

tengies Regular Member

student
    of course you should get a new racket!looking at your price range,try getting an apacs or prospeed racket.i cannot recommend any models because i think you should know wad you like and try it out first!

12. fiendishsword2

Aight, thanks for all your help. I went to UBC last saturday and tried out a few racquets. I ended up purchasing a Kason Impact force 2046 strung at 23lbs- yonex bg65-. I've read alot of reviews about the yonex bg65 string and it is true, they do lose a couple lbs after a day or so. I believe it's now strung at 21 lbs.

13. TedTheFarmer

TedTheFarmer Regular Member

Well, I was going to recommend a Yonex AT150, its reliable and relatively cheap, $65 is about what I see. Probably not good to spend too much unless you are really going to play Badminton a lot eg, tournaments..

14. QuickSprat

QuickSprat New Member

Retired
    My understanding is that it does not give you enough power because it is too tight--not because it is too loose. But that you get better finesse. Which would help more in doubles than in singles. Jack

15. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    I feel like 90% is technique and 10% is racquet :p

16. QuickSprat

QuickSprat New Member

Retired
    Feels plenty tight to me.
    And it was playable last time I used it.
    It is a Wilson so what if it is Big 5; are you denigrating Wilson.