Equipment question

Discussion in 'Singapore' started by ultimax, May 26, 2006.

1. ultimax

ultimax New Member

Hi,

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section. I'd just like responses from people who are from Singapore, and this is the closest to a Singaporean Badminton Forum that I've found (through google). If you know or a better one, please let me know!

I've got 2 questions.

1. I'd like to buy a better racquet. I'm currently using a cheapo Wilson 2 for $17.90 racquet that I got from Royal Sporting House haha. I just picked the game up, and I'm so-so. Can stroke, hit, have a decent game (ie. don't have to keep picking the shuttle-cock up). Should I stick with my current racquet? When does one know it's time to change racquet? I plan on playing regularly, at least once a week.

I was at queensway, Gala Sports (1st floor, sells nothing but tennis and badminton equipment), and was shown a Prince "Turbo 84" racquet. Currently only promo, $60 + 15 for strings, comes with big racquet bag. Frame is thick, is quite light, looks quite pro, but I don't know anything about racquets. What do you guys think? Can't find any info abt the racquet online!

2. I'd like to buy a pair of court shoes. I've already damaged a toe-nail using New Balance running shoes! What do you recommend? I saw a pair of Yonex for $32 at Queensway. Am not sure what model, but it looked pretty new. Any other recommendations? Are all Yonex shoes abt the same for a beginner/social player?

Thanks so much!

2. surge

surge Regular Member

about racket: beginner or not, a good/better racket is always advisable. even if your skill not good, the racket must be at least decent ( just like whether you are PRO rally or F1 driver or not, no harm having a more powerful engine car than a piece of junk). for a start, it will be good to get one of those clone rackets from brands like apacs, hart etc. the rackets are very good if compared to a similar priced yonex. about 50-70 dollars can get you one w strings and grip.

then there is tension: for e strings on e racket. if you play once a week and is serious to improve, a tension of 24lbs is quite acceptable. high or low tension is more dependent on your hitting technique. you play regular sure can iron out your technique easily.

shoe: yonex have a wide range of shoes. don go for the very low end ones ( $29). the sole is super thin. when you keep stamping forward you will start to feel the straint. get a good one as badminton requires alot of movement and you really need it.

next, one place that i can recommend for you to get these stuff is toa payoh safra. the shop name is classic sports. boss is mr soh.

he have shoes, rackets as very good prices. i am not relate to e shop in anyway. just a regular customer and i think his good service deserves recommendations.

cheers

3. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

spend money on a pair of SHB-99 shoes ($90-95), not a new racquet when starting out.

Shoes are the best investment you can make. Read the forums, people always spend money buying better and better racquets, but when they get a good shoe, they stick to it until it wears out :)

When you know more about badminton, you can make a more informed choice about racquets. But for shoes, the decision is simple, buy the best pair you can afford.

4. Qianer

Qianer Regular Member

shoe good

just last week i tried to stretch to return a drop shot my shoe fell off...

the whole rubber came off...

should not have settled for cheap stuff...

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

shoes are important, but just like racquets, you don't need the most expensive ones. I've played in SHB-50, 58, 89, 98, 99 and there's not a huge difference between them.

6. protomedea

protomedea New Member

1. Racket
    If you're a beginner, go for clones like what Surge suggests. If you play doubles, go for a shorter racket as it allows you to swing your racket faster. Spare about 60-70 bucks for a brand new clone or second hand Yonex (cab20, 21, or ti10).

2. Shoe
    If you buy yonex, get the extra Sole Gel Heel Cup. I love Yonex shoes for its ultimate flexibility but the sole is too thin, so I have to place two on mine. But I think regardless what shoe you go for, the Heel Cup is quite important, especially if you're starting to age...hehe...

If you were to place priorities on any of the items (equipment) to play badminton, put Shoe above everything else. My favourite racket costs me less than 50SGD, but I'm willing to spend twice or three times more than that for shoes.