Countering quality clears.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by eelvis, Feb 8, 2016.

1. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

As a beginner to intermediate player, what is the best strategy against a powerful back court player with strong clears, deep serves and fast court coverage in singles. Short served and mixed up play but only improvising. I can clear deep but dont get advantage playing this way. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

What is your strength/weakness?

What is his strength/weakness?

Strong clears and fast court coverage...sounds like a nightmare for the beginner-intermediate players. Lets hope his other shots aren't good.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It's difficult to advise on strategy based on one attribute. If you really want to beat him/her, see if you can spot other weaknesses and tendencies.

But without knowing these things, all you can do is to match his strengths to neutralise his advantage to some degree.

4. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Thanks, maybe need faster drops. Don't have strong smash, i like work my point but hate playing good clearers.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

The ability to produce good quality clears endlessly and effortlessly is a must in singles.

Check your stroke and your string type and tension to see if any changes are needed, especially if you're playing plastic.

6. m3w78

m3w78 Regular Member

real estate
    When I play against tall players, who have great clears, I try to get to the bird early and use flat attacking clears. That way, they have to reach back and play clears while off balance. Just make sure you're not punching your clears right into their cut-off power zone.

7. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Thanks for the help, will practice flat clears.

8. BadSID

BadSID Regular Member

I don't think there is a magic pill to sort your problem. I faced this difficulty when I had started playing badminton, especially against the skilled players. I recollect this dude who used to repeatedly clear deep and had good court coverage. Many a times I would be left stranded. But all these problems were resolved after I hired a coach and spent many hours on the court to improve my footwork/racquet skills.

In short - get some coaching, if you can.

9. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Cheers, i am getting coaching and i am getting better. But need tighter or faster drops and net shots, as well as a better deep backhand clear. Playing for about 5 years now and have an ever increasing learning mountain to climb, the better you get the more you realise you don't know.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You need to be able to clear deep consistently, be patient and wait for any opportunity. You cannot 'force' an opening from an opponent's high clear if that opponent is very good.

11. Signature

Signature Regular Member

I'll also go with the advice to practice flat clears. Also you should focus to cover the straight clear more so than the diagonal clear. It's hard to cover a straight flat clear, that creates pressure. Diagonal clears must be high enough so you can't block it, therefore they aren't as important to cover.

If you feel your smash is not rewarding you with points, I'd use it more tactically. Don't put full power in the smash, you want to cover the next shot. But make him believe that he has to cover the smash in different occasions, then you can finish the point of with a good drop or similar.

12. eelvis

eelvis Regular Member

Thanks, I find I get caught with flat pushes as well. My smash has little power, normally slice it or try to make it steep.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If you are caught out with flat pushes in that you are not able to reach them, then you are probably not moving quick enough and/or not anticipating well enough.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    And not in the right starting position on court.